Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lug Nuts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have to share this to prevent someone else to go through this experience which could be dangerous. Bought winter tires and rims for my Model 3. Drove to Toronto to have them installed from Portland ON. Had chrome rims put on and they put new lug nuts on also. When I got home thought about the amount of driving my wife and I do. Did not want to wear out my new winter tires when could be almost 2 months before we got snow. So put my summer tires back on. Really liked the new chrome lug nuts so used them. I torque the nuts down to 130 and went golfing. On my way back the tire behind the driver comes off. I heard a strange noise just before it came off and pulled over. All five lug nuts were sitting on the road. Luckily the rotor rested on the inside of the rim so no damage to suspension. Found out that the lug nuts were specific to the winter rims and would not work on my summer rims. Watch when you buy new lug nuts that they are compatible with your rims. Hope this saves someone from having a very bad experience. Interesting that no damage to my studs or lug nuts.

• Informative
Reactions: RedSafari
This is a very common problem, not only should you check, but you should also have been informed by the fitters that the shoulder of the lugnuts are a different profile. This was never a problem with steel wheels but alloys need a much wider shoulder to seat properly.

Have to share this to prevent someone else to go through this experience which could be dangerous. Bought winter tires and rims for my Model 3. Drove to Toronto to have them installed from Portland ON. Had chrome rims put on and they put new lug nuts on also. When I got home thought about the amount of driving my wife and I do. Did not want to wear out my new winter tires when could be almost 2 months before we got snow. So put my summer tires back on. Really liked the new chrome lug nuts so used them. I torque the nuts down to 130 and went golfing. On my way back the tire behind the driver comes off. I heard a strange noise just before it came off and pulled over. All five lug nuts were sitting on the road. Luckily the rotor rested on the inside of the rim so no damage to suspension. Found out that the lug nuts were specific to the winter rims and would not work on my summer rims. Watch when you buy new lug nuts that they are compatible with your rims. Hope this saves someone from having a very bad experience. Interesting that no damage to my studs or lug nuts.

Hub centric fitting saved you from a very bad accident :)

• Informative
Reactions: okeefe73