Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lug Stud Replacements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to replace my wheel studs with titanium studs on my performance+ Model 3. The only information I could find about the existing studs is this: 14X1.50 Thread. Wondering if anyone knows the other details needed to find a suitable replacement? The attached image is an example of the details I am look for...

Attachments

• example.jpg
    example.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 810
Wheels have been replaced. Rotors have been ordered. I really wanted the carbon ceramic, but the cost was so high, I just didn't feel right about it. I ended up ordering the RB 2pc Rotor Kit (355/335) for Tesla Model 3 w/Perf. Brake (P/N 2604 & 2623). They weren't the best rotors, but they were the lightest I could find that weren't insanely priced. I did get your lithium battery kit. I'll will get the Coil overs from you guys at some point. I may end up getting sway bars too, but waiting to see some real world results. Have you guys thought about adding sway bar upgrades to your suspension lineup?

Wheels have been replaced. Rotors have been ordered. I really wanted the carbon ceramic, but the cost was so high, I just didn't feel right about it. I ended up ordering the RB 2pc Rotor Kit (355/335) for Tesla Model 3 w/Perf. Brake (P/N 2604 & 2623). They weren't the best rotors, but they were the lightest I could find that weren't insanely priced. I did get your lithium battery kit. I'll will get the Coil overs from you guys at some point. I may end up getting sway bars too, but waiting to see some real world results. Have you guys thought about adding sway bar upgrades to your suspension lineup?
We have about 4 products in different stages of development right now, sway bars just aren't a high priority for us at this time! Try the coilovers with stock sway bars first and decide if you need them.

I'm sure that 0.618" is the correct knurl size for 2 reasons.

1) The hole in the hub measures 0.602" which is in the correct range for a 0.618" knurl
*Per ARP website The Official ARP Web Site | Kits
-Knurl Diameter 0.625˝ / Wheel Stud Hole Size - Cast Iron/Steel Hub 0.606˝ - 0.619˝​
-Knurl Diameter 0.618˝ / Wheel Stud Hole Size - Cast Iron/Steel Hub 0.602˝ - 0.612˝
2) The Titanium ones for Tesla are 15.7mm or 0.618" M14-1.5 x 52mm Knurled Wheel Stud, Tesla Model S
* If these were longer and had an anti-cross-thread nose on them, they'd be perfect for the track guys.​

Here are the measurements from my Model 3 Performance.

A Thread Major Diameter = 0.545"
A' Thread Minor Diameter = 0.5"
B Stud Length = 1.75"
C Spline Length = 0.25"
D Base Length = 0.625"
E Spline Diameter = 0.618"
F Thread Length = 1.0"

View attachment 520162

Thanks for those measurements, this will help a lot of people looking to replace their studs. :)

If it's really true that the thread length is exactly 1.0"/25,4mm on your studs then this confirms my thoughts that either the European or newer Model 3's have slightly longer studs (I measured 26,5mm/1.043" from brake disc to end of stud on my SR+, that's all thread). As I'll be replacing them in about 2-3 weeks I'll be sure to take some measurements on the studs of my Model 3 as well to be 100% sure. If there's really a difference then many (either European or new) Model 3's won't be able to easily fit those 15mm Bloxsport spacers that are so popular here. ;)

I'm sure that 0.618" is the correct knurl size for 2 reasons.

1) The hole in the hub measures 0.602" which is in the correct range for a 0.618" knurl
-Knurl Diameter 0.625˝ / Wheel Stud Hole Size - Cast Iron/Steel Hub 0.606˝ - 0.619˝​
-Knurl Diameter 0.618˝ / Wheel Stud Hole Size - Cast Iron/Steel Hub 0.602˝ - 0.612˝
2) The Titanium ones for Tesla are 15.7mm or 0.618" M14-1.5 x 52mm Knurled Wheel Stud, Tesla Model S
* If these were longer and had an anti-cross-thread nose on them, they'd be perfect for the track guys.​

Good research. Have you found the right studs for Model3?

Thanks for those measurements, this will help a lot of people looking to replace their studs. :)

If it's really true that the thread length is exactly 1.0"/25,4mm on your studs then this confirms my thoughts that either the European or newer Model 3's have slightly longer studs (I measured 26,5mm/1.043" from brake disc to end of stud on my SR+, that's all thread). As I'll be replacing them in about 2-3 weeks I'll be sure to take some measurements on the studs of my Model 3 as well to be 100% sure. If there's really a difference then many (either European or new) Model 3's won't be able to easily fit those 15mm Bloxsport spacers that are so popular here. ;)

Posted this before. Now after replacing my wheel studs I can confirm that mine have an underhead length of exactly 46mm (1.81"). @Otarpilot measured 44.45mm (1.75") on his. So yes, there definately is a difference in wheel studs on some Model 3's. So please be careful with this, don't just assume that 15mm Bloxsport spacers that many people here on the forum use will work in combination with Aero wheels cause with the 46mm (1.81") wheel studs they will not work!

More info and how-to video on replacing the wheel studs on my Model 3 can be found in this thread:
Model 3 wheel studs

Sorry, after reading this and the other thread through — is there consensus on which specific (longer) studs will work on a Model 3 Performance (with perf brakes)? I’m just looking for about .5” longer than stock.