Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lug Stud Replacements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have a part number for a OEM length stud replacement?

I have one that is starting to turn hard, probably because I swap wheels weekly. I don't need a longer one. Advance Auto and Dorman had nothing listed for a Tesla Model 3 and I think the Tesla parts catalog only shows full hub replacement.

Does anyone have a part number for a OEM length stud replacement?

I have one that is starting to turn hard, probably because I swap wheels weekly. I don't need a longer one. Advance Auto and Dorman had nothing listed for a Tesla Model 3 and I think the Tesla parts catalog only shows full hub replacement.

I believe these can be used. Ti64 grade 5 titanium M14-1.5 x 52mm Knurled Wheel Stud, Tesla Model S
Expensive but titanium. 😉 I don't really know of any others that will fit the Tesla hubs and aren't longer than OEM.

The Dorman are indeed very long, only good if you want to run spacers or for track use with open ended lug nuts. I have them on my hubs and while they were great when I was using spacers, they're a pain in the behind right now without using spacers. 😅 Have to use very long closed end lug nuts.

I'm probably going to try a M14x1.5 thread die. <$10 on Amazon. Otherwise cutting a Dorman 610-490 is a good thought. I'm a little amazed there is nothing available. Tesla service told me to buy the whole hub for $120.
If you’re cutting the Dorman I would measure the length relative to the oem, thread a lugnut on it first all the way, cut, and then take the lugnut off. This ensures the starter threads keeping their shape just in case they move during the cutting. Putting the lugnut on afterwards you have a 50/50 chance of not threading. I hope this makes sense.