Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Luggage Packing Record - Can You Top This?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have not found this topic elsewhere, but I think it would be fun to see how much others have managed to pack into their Model S. I will start the bidding with this:

Tesla Packing Record.jpg

Four passengers with rear seats up. Only two pots of flowers in cabin; all other luggage in rear and frunk

Inclusions:
Two large suitcases
Two medium suitcases
One full carry-on piece
Two backpacks
One full set of golf clubs
One pair of golf shoes
One tennis pack with two rackets
Two full "loose ends" satchels
Several shopping bags with gifts
Emergency tire pump
Shoebox of window cleaner and paper towels
Shoebox of computer accessories / power supplies

Not much space left over, but very comfortable for passengers.

What have others done?

Well, we had the same.

Our summer holiday to relatives in Austria and in Hungary.

thumb_IMG_5708_1024.jpg

Three full size trunks, a few smaller ones, backpacks, a big plastic container for small things (food, presents, wine!) my bicycle (Gocycle) and two steps for the girls. And off course the usual stuff like charging cables, umbrella's. Trunk and frunk (we have a classic with the large frunk but with third row which means no extra space in the trunk) fully loaded but the normal space left to sit :)

It is really amazing what you can take with you.

Our family of five took a 3 week road trip from Kansas City to San Diego and back by way of Tucson.

Carried gear for the mountains, the desert, and the beach. Brought along kids homeschooling supplies, 9 duffel bags, 3 coolers, 3 smaller bags, a wheel chair, a tent, sports equipment, electronics, blankets, pillows, etc... Oh, we did leave the kitchen sink. We have rear facing seats and rear wheel drive. Frunk and Trunk were packed tight.

DSC00906.jpg

Our family of five took a 3 week road trip from Kansas City to San Diego and back by way of Tucson.

Carried gear for the mountains, the desert, and the beach. Brought along kids homeschooling supplies, 9 duffel bags, 3 coolers, 3 smaller bags, a wheel chair, a tent, sports equipment, electronics, blankets, pillows, etc... Oh, we did leave the kitchen sink. We have rear facing seats and rear wheel drive. Frunk and Trunk were packed tight.

View attachment 93599

I'd love to see the time-lapsed video of that packing! Wow, great job!

Well, maybe not "most", but perhaps "most fun"... here's what I packed for a trip returning from my buddies place after we brewed beer:

Two 6-gallon carboys (filled with beer)
Tote full of brew gear
15 gallon brewing "keggle"
Immersion chiller
35K BTU Propane stand burner
20Lb propane tank
5 gallon "corny keg"
Brewing "instrument case"

bh.JPG

On the road from Vinci to Firenze airport I managed five persons, one dog, three full-size golf bags (!), luggage for five for two weeks (four bags in the frunk, one in the space under the trunk, two large suitcases, five backpacks, coffee machine, a FatBoy for the dog (!) and a lot of other loose stuff in the trunk). Everyone truly amazed that this was workable. Shall take a picture next time, because it is really amazing how in my experience our MS's have nearly double the luggage capacity of other cars of its size.

To be honest, the car's (non-air) suspension didn't seem to like that record load all that much, so I was happy to be able to unload four passagers at Firenze airport (with their backpacks) and continue my road trip back to Belgium alone, with the dog, his FatBoy and the rest of the luggage :).

To a car show: 150 boxes with sets of Alloygators, TV, computer, 3 roll up banners, demo wheel, some small stuff. Only 2 persons.
Amazing in my Volvo V60 station wagon i could not fit half of it.
pictures will be next time

As a photographer, this is my average work day. It won't break records but I use the massive trunk almost daily.

Fitting my tripods in the frunk means I don't need to fold the rear seats. Having a back seat makes me feel civilized versus living in a cargo van.

Attachments

• WP_20150910_002.jpg
    WP_20150910_002.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,151
  • WP_20150910_001.jpg
    WP_20150910_001.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,158
I didn't get any photos, but I did manage to do a road trip to the lake with a family of 4 plus the dog in our P85D (think small frunk) and thought I would totally run out of room but after packing I was able to leave the parcel shelf on with nothing above it, nothing in the back other than the kids/dog. Amazing capacity in the Model S.
This is not my doing, but has my fullest View attachment 93610

Wow! very cool video!

- - - Updated - - -

As a photographer, this is my average work day. It won't break records but I use the massive trunk almost daily.

Fitting my tripods in the frunk means I don't need to fold the rear seats. Having a back seat makes me feel civilized versus living in a cargo van.
Okay... have to say it... as a photographer those are crappy photos! Just poking fun - I used to be a professional photographer too and still pulled out my camera phone more often than anything else I had. Is that for on-site portraits or arena strobes? I had a extra large Pelican case for my arena lighting kit which was great but an absolute beast to carry around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Long-time forum readers might be able to pull up the photo I took of what we disgorged from a Costco run late in 2013 - I can't locate that shot; if this thread has legs I may try to find it when I have more bandwidth.

I do hope, however, that no one ever does...or even tries to...top the 70 gallons of diesel I've hauled in the Model S. True story.

Didn't think to snap a picture but we recently returned from a two person, three week round the country trip.
We put 2 bikes in the trunk, to avoid an increase in wind resistance.
Big luggage bag and towel bag in the frunk.
Computer bag, cooler, day bag, snack bag, couple of miscellany bags, couple of during-trip shopping bags in the back and on the floor behind the drivers.

At thanksgiving last year, I picked up hams and turkeys from Honey Baked Ham. They were in boxes, so I got 5 hams and 4 turkey breasts (2 per box)in the frunk and 6 turkey breasts in the little well in the trunk. I pulled up to the loading zone of our building and all the security guards came out to see what on earth was happening as I pulled them out!

Long-time forum readers might be able to pull up the photo I took of what we disgorged from a Costco run late in 2013 - I can't locate that shot; if this thread has legs I may try to find it when I have more bandwidth.

I do hope, however, that no one ever does...or even tries to...top the 70 gallons of diesel I've hauled in the Model S. True story.

Found it!
So just how much CAN a Model S hold?