Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lugnut thread depth issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Freewheeler

Vendor
Supporting Member
May 22, 2020
New York
I took my MYP in for service and while there asked for a tire rotation. Later on, the SA said they could not rotate the tires due to my aftermarket wheels (MW-03 19x9.5 +45) not allowing enough thread engagement and therefore are unsafe. I replaced the lugs with deeper black acorns, and when I pulled the caps this is what I saw (sorry for the filth!):

IMG_1092.JPG

Does this appear to be a hazardous condition? Does anyone have an image of what it's supposed to look like stock? I no longer have the stock wheels to compare to. It seems there's only 1/16" - 1/8" of thread left to engage. If this is an issue I need to take it up with Martian who says their wheels are compatible with Tesla lugnuts. They haven't yet responded to my email asking them about what the SA said. Thanks!

Don’t be nervous, it’s a legal thing when deviation occurs on OEM rims, wheels, lug nuts.
The OEM would be threaded down further a little bit.
You may have to go to a Discount Tire or similar to get your tires rotated and they offer an insurance too on the life of the tire.
Do you have rim locks? If not you may want to inquire on finding a lug nut rim lock set that matches your needs.