Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lumbar button

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have this exact same issue, premium interior, 9/18 build, the passenger side lumbar switch has been dead I assume since taking delivery. The first time I tried using it, nothing happened, and there’s no noise like the drivers seat.

I had mobile tech out looking at it, and he claims there’s a problem with the pump, and had to order a part for it. As soon as the part comes in, he’s installing it as a warranty issue.

Not sure if the SR+ was ever intended to have passengers side lumbar, but if there’s a switch, I assume they included it. You’d have to ask others w a SR+ if their passenger lumbar works. If so, I would make a service appt to have looked at.

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333
I have a Premium model so not sure if all cars have the same lumbar support. The button is actually two buttons as there are two bladders in the lumbar region that can be inflated to different firmness.

I know what you mean with being able to inflate both separately, but doesn't the inflation between those two bladders shift when you press on the top or bottom button? I recall if you inflate it and "move" it all the way to the top or bottom it feels the same as inflating just top or bottom individually.

I know what you mean with being able to inflate both separately, but doesn't the inflation between those two bladders shift when you press on the top or bottom button? I recall if you inflate it and "move" it all the way to the top or bottom it feels the same as inflating just top or bottom individually.

The manual does a poor job of explaining the lumbar adjustment. Here’s the best video explanation I could find:

I have this exact same issue, premium interior, 9/18 build, the passenger side lumbar switch has been dead I assume since taking delivery. The first time I tried using it, nothing happened, and there’s no noise like the drivers seat.

I had mobile tech out looking at it, and he claims there’s a problem with the pump, and had to order a part for it. As soon as the part comes in, he’s installing it as a warranty issue.

Not sure if the SR+ was ever intended to have passengers side lumbar, but if there’s a switch, I assume they included it. You’d have to ask others w a SR+ if their passenger lumbar works. If so, I would make a service appt to have looked at.
This may sound a little wacky, but I had a similar non-functional premium passenger lumbar control on an August 2018 delivery. It was fixed at the SC when a small wire bundle in the windshield camera pod was just re-seated to address a temp humidity sensor issue affecting HVAC operation. And that fix worked, too.

Point is, everything is connected to everything else in some fashion in this car, some in strange ways that may not be apparent.

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333
The manual does a poor job of explaining the lumbar adjustment. Here’s the best video explanation I could find:

Yep that's the exact video I heard about this from. But if you inflate normally (by pressing forward and inflating both) then using the up or down buttons, it'll either inflate one more or deflate the other netting the same result as far as I know, since the lumbar adjuster is a D-pad. At least the results felt the same to my back.

For what it's worth, I just hopped in the passenger seat of my SR+ and the lumbar support was working. You do need to hold the button for a bit before the inflation becomes noticable, though. Maybe it comes fully deflated from the factory.

After reading this thread I ran into my garage to find my lumbar button! Guess I'm an idiot, had the car over a year now and didn't know I had a lumbar button. I thought it would be a mechanical handle on the side of the seat and since I didn't see such handle I thought we didn't have one! Next thing you know somebody will say we have fart mode or something else!