Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lumbar support button stopped working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 618734 They replaced the motor. My steering adjustment motor also went out a year later. Same solution, replace the motor.

Great! Thanks. I guess I'll post the teardown and testing procedure when I go through it this weekend. I may remove both seat backshells and make an extension cable to test each seats lumbar with the others power and controls to make sure it's truly dead.

Reactions: Rottenapplr
Had same issue; Feb 2019. Ranger came out and replaced the lumbar support motor. Still didn’t work. Had to take in to SC. They had it for 3 days as couldn’t figure it out. Replaced motor then had to have a tech come out to the SC. Finally fixed it but was way more complicated than replacing the lumbar support motor.

Well, luckily my issue was pretty straightforward.

I removed the headrest, via the already well documented procedure, which unlocks the seat backplate. My first step was to locate the lumbar inflator, remove the electrical connector, wait for 5 seconds, and plug it back in. Interestingly, this immediately restored functionality to the unit. I don't have any special insight into the internal working of the unit, but if I were to hazard a guess, it would have something to do with leaving it at maximum inflation indefinitely, possibly confusing a sensor or triggering some sort of pressure limit switch. My wife does always leave the lumbar fully engaged at all times.

Anyway, today will not be the day for me to describe how to fully remove, test, and replace the assembly as shockingly it was rectified on the first step of troubleshooting. If that does not remain the case, I will post a more in depth summary. Location of the lumbar controller and connector are attached. I believe it's just connected via 12V and LIN bus.

Screenshot 2020-12-19 103310.png Screenshot 2020-12-19 103428.png Screenshot 2020-12-19 103452.png

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG and KenC