TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Luxury Electric

Discussion in 'Electric Conversions' started by TEG, Sep 4, 2008.

1. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

#2 doug, Sep 4, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
    These guys seem kinda lame to me.

luxury-electric-2010.jpg

"The Luxury Electric Company was created in 2007. It is the trade name for Potential Difference, Inc. In addition to the implied social meaning, potential difference is also the electrical science definition of voltage."
    Heh... Clearly written by someone who doesn't understand "electrical science".

From the press release on ABG:
    "The new battery technology will allow full charges from any outlet in as little as 10 minutes."

2. Finkenbusch

Finkenbusch Member

#3 Finkenbusch, Sep 9, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
    probably the author is ahead of the traditional "electrical scientist".

For example (there are other technical solutions as well feasable):

If your on a 380 Volt industrial outlet (available in Europe and i guess in the US as well, at every petrol station, Wall Mart, car service station, restaurant parking lot you name it) and charge a (super) capacitor (which subsequently converts that electricity into chemical energy) - e.g. to a suitable battery why not charge in minutes?

3. deenko

deenko Member

I did some quick numbers using the roadster as a baseline, with a range of 140 miles. These numbers are rough estimates, but I calculate that for a 140 mile range driving at about 55mph, the energy storage system will need to be roughly 30kW. At this size, it would take about 35 min. to charge the pack using 240V at 210Amps. Assuming the worse case error in my estimates, 17.5 min to charge a pack that can go 140 miles.

You all can decide how to use these numbers. They can be fudged to make 10 min work. A higher voltage at the charger might work, but that is not practical. Then again, 480V lines are doable. They key to making EV's work is to make charging stations as compatible with the power infrastructure as possible. That means, 120V and 220V for consumers, and greater than 240 for commercial.

4. doug

Riiiight... :rolleyes:

No scientist I know uses the phrase "electrical science."

Also, it should be obvious to most that the statement, "The new battery technology will allow full charges from any outlet in as little as 10 minutes," is factually inaccurate.

5. donauker

donauker Member

#7 donauker, Dec 13, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
    Wow! That's amazing. :rolleyes:

6. Bob Smith

Bob Smith Member

It looks like Acura and VW had a child.

7. doug

Umm... it is an Acura, isn't it?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Direct quote: "The new battery technology will allow full charges from any outlet in as little as 10 minutes"

Any outlet huh?
    Yes, that is pretty amazing :rolleyes:.