Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Luxury+Performance - What Else Would be Considered?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Background:

I've been lurking for over a year here and finally FINALLY will be in position to have a Model S within the next month (CPO). The problem is that I'm a PERFORMANCE shopper, first and foremost. I have been driving a modified VW GTI (remapped software, suspension upgrades) for a few years while I got my consulting businesses started up and running. So I've found the P85 a bit floaty handling-wise even though the power is where I want it to be.

This wouldn't be a problem if the P85+ wasn't in such short supply in the CPO market. I've been working with a few great folks (Kyle at Dublin and Connor at Buena Park have been very helpful) to track one down, but they've literally told me that when they find one, I better be ready to lock it down. I've not even gotten to DRIVE one because of the short supply. With the lease rates on Inventory P90Ds, I've even been considering those, even though it's more than I want to spend.

BUT, from those that have come from other performance luxury cars (M3/M5, AMG Mercedes, etc), what ELSE would you consider if when the time came to finally trade up...the Tesla you needed wasn't available?

I've recently test driven the Cadillac ATS-V (loved it, LOVED the Android Auto integration, HATED the gauges...it's a deal breaker), no CTS-V's are available near me to drive (even though they are having killer lease deals on them). AMG C63 is out because the leases on them are insane. Every young guy with a bit of coin in SoCal seems to have a BMW M3/M4, so that's out. But then, since we're also looking at getting my husband a new car, we visited the Lexus dealer (he loved the RX Hybrid).

On their lot was the GS-F. A bit down in power compared to the AMG, and torque compared to the P85...but I LIKED it. And they are running killer leases on them. I even warmed to the 'Predator' grille.

Thoughts?

Is your only reason for not getting a bmw is becuase it's common? If so, I say get the car you want despite whether it's popular or not.

That said I'm waiting on my model S to be delivered and while I've been waiting I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos on Teslas. Check out tesla racing channel on YouTube to see the Tesla smoke a lot of "performance" vehicles.

Best of luck with your decision.

No other car matches the awesomeness of the Model S..: but I'm biased so :)

Honestly if the Model S did not exist I would have purchased a BMW M5, it's luxurious, sporty and overall a great sedan.

But the Model S does exist! Therefore buy it!

I have a P85+ loaner right now while my 70D with coil suspension is being worked on... the air suspension in the P85+ feels like a floaty mess compared to the coil setup in my 70D.

From a handling standpoint, is either car a match for my old NB Miata or BMW M Roadster? No. Not even close. However, I'm totally sold on electric at this point and don't want anything else.

What it comes down to is what trades you're willing to make (since all cars come with trades).

The car we had before our Teslas would be a good choice (Audi 7 series...S7 probably is what would work for you). The M5 is a personal favorite as well. But you really should consider the D Tesla models. One thing I wasn't a fan of in my P85 was the handling. The P85D not only has more power, the dual drive totally changes the handling dynamics in a good way. It's still a big, heavy sedan, so it won't have the sharp handling of a lighter performance car, but as between the P85+ and a P85D (or P90D), it's night and day. So I suggest you broaden your search to include the P85/90D models.

Interesting, I had a P+ as a loaner when my s85 which had coils was in for service and I thought it was firmer and handled a lot better.
It's possible that they're using different coil suspension on the D models, but I just drove down to Burbank (~60 miles) in the P85+ and then drove back in my 70D and the 70D's coil setup is definitely sharper and a lot firmer. The the P85+ would float around on city streets and on the freeway (kind of a circular roll and pitch... you could feel it making subtle adjustments and basically averaging road imperfections into an annoying floating feeling), it softened every bump and crash caused by the road surface, and shifted weight strangely when cornering. The 70D with air suspension that I drove back-to-back with a coil equipped 70D when I was making my original ordering decisions last year felt floaty as well (as did the air equipped 85D).

That said, the tail happy nature of the P85+ was fun for the past few days...

• Funny
Reactions: Eclectic
Background:

I've been lurking for over a year here and finally FINALLY will be in position to have a Model S within the next month (CPO). The problem is that I'm a PERFORMANCE shopper, first and foremost. I have been driving a modified VW GTI (remapped software, suspension upgrades) for a few years while I got my consulting businesses started up and running. So I've found the P85 a bit floaty handling-wise even though the power is where I want it to be.

This wouldn't be a problem if the P85+ wasn't in such short supply in the CPO market. I've been working with a few great folks (Kyle at Dublin and Connor at Buena Park have been very helpful) to track one down, but they've literally told me that when they find one, I better be ready to lock it down. I've not even gotten to DRIVE one because of the short supply. With the lease rates on Inventory P90Ds, I've even been considering those, even though it's more than I want to spend.

BUT, from those that have come from other performance luxury cars (M3/M5, AMG Mercedes, etc), what ELSE would you consider if when the time came to finally trade up...the Tesla you needed wasn't available?

I've recently test driven the Cadillac ATS-V (loved it, LOVED the Android Auto integration, HATED the gauges...it's a deal breaker), no CTS-V's are available near me to drive (even though they are having killer lease deals on them). AMG C63 is out because the leases on them are insane. Every young guy with a bit of coin in SoCal seems to have a BMW M3/M4, so that's out. But then, since we're also looking at getting my husband a new car, we visited the Lexus dealer (he loved the RX Hybrid).

On their lot was the GS-F. A bit down in power compared to the AMG, and torque compared to the P85...but I LIKED it. And they are running killer leases on them. I even warmed to the 'Predator' grille.

Thoughts?

I was looking at an A7 but decided to make the EV leap and go with the Tesla instead. Though you sound like you would be an S7 type person. I think in terms of fit/finish, the A7 was actually nicer than the Model S, but it didn't give me that giddy feeling. I also took a drive in a 550xdrive with the M sport package. I liked the car, but again, it just didn't get me excited like the S.

My parents live near Buena Park so I have memories of looking at Mercedes and Jaguar cars along that dealership strip - they had decided it was time to upgrade from a mini-van to our first "luxury" car. They ended up going with a CPO 528i, which is probably why the 550 didn't excite me as much as it should have. Since there is nothing here for Tesla in MI, I actually went to test drive the S at the Buena Park service center while I was visiting them. That drive sealed the deal for me.

The car we had before our Teslas would be a good choice (Audi 7 series...S7 probably is what would work for you). The M5 is a personal favorite as well. But you really should consider the D Tesla models. One thing I wasn't a fan of in my P85 was the handling. The P85D not only has more power, the dual drive totally changes the handling dynamics in a good way. It's still a big, heavy sedan, so it won't have the sharp handling of a lighter performance car, but as between the P85+ and a P85D (or P90D), it's night and day. So I suggest you broaden your search to include the P85/90D models.
Believe me, I'd love to go for a P90D. But I'm trying to be as frugal as a 75k budget sounds :) I'm hoping to drive something at Fremont soon when I'm in the bay area on business so I can get a better idea (P90D and a P85+).

Background:

Thoughts?
I had a F10 M5 that I absolutely loved. Trouble was, I couldn't really drive it in the winter. Although it doesn't really snow much at lower elevations in Colorado, the performance tires had no bite in sub 40 degree weather and I could not get the power to the ground. That said, the M5 was very quick and handled pretty well for such a large car but I find the MS is pretty comparable. The 90D accelerates much faster out of the chute due to superior traction but alas, the M5 will catch it eventually but 99% of the time, the MS will beat it. That said, the M5 was so luxurious and so so much fun to drive. Just required a lot more skill and concentration to keep it under control. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Whistle2Whine
Yeah, Kandiru the issue for me is that Autopilot and highway cruising aren't my highest priority. Any luxury sedan I buy will be a nice cruiser. I care about performance around turns and power. At this point, it's all about tracking down a P85+ to drive. And hedging with my lease broker to see how much a stretch it would be for one of the Inventory P90Ds if I don't like the handling of said P+.

I'll just remind all that a 90D (no P) has the same performance as the original P85. Handling dynamics on the Angeles Crest Highway are a delight. With regen braking you can control cornering almost entirely with the accelerator, rarely having to use the brake pedal even going downhill. Low center of gravity should help Model S vs. cars of similar weight.

No question handling will be sharper on a car with less weight (Boxster, Miata, etc.), but I suspect the 90D is fairly close to Cadillac and the big German sedans. I'm somewhat surprised the car mags have not run a thorough comparison test vs. say, A7 and Panamera, similar size and hatchback design. Those cars have some weight advantage vs. Model S as they are under 4,000 pounds.

Background:

Thoughts?

The Tesla is not a luxury car.
According to Tesla, It is a premium car so it isn't right to compare it to luxury cars like the AMG, etc

Reactions: SaintD
If you want to buy the past, knock yourself out. I would rather wait for a model 3 than buy any ICE vehicle. I can't wait to get rid of my remaining ice vehicle (335d). I plan to keep my old landcruiser for nastalgia, it doesn't get driven much.

I have an S on order and can only give info based on 2 seperate test drives. I highly recomend test driving the S. You will be shocked at how such a heavy car can cut corners w/o any lean whatsoever. At least that was my take and I put it thru some paces. I think the DS was a little surprised at how I beat on it a little :) I test drove the BMW 535i and my wife has a Lexus E350. Love both of those rides but they cannot handle like the S. Hence the S order :)
I'm sorry if I missed it but I don't believe you said anything about test driving the S

I have an S on order and can only give info based on 2 seperate test drives. I highly recomend test driving the S. You will be shocked at how such a heavy car can cut corners w/o any lean whatsoever. At least that was my take and I put it thru some paces. I think the DS was a little surprised at how I beat on it a little :) I test drove the BMW 535i and my wife has a Lexus E350. Love both of those rides but they cannot handle like the S. Hence the S order :)
I'm sorry if I missed it but I don't believe you said anything about test driving the S
I've already test driven a number of Model S. 2013 and 2014 P85, a 90D and a P85D. The P85D was the sweet spot (roll stiffness/rebound and turn-in were all on par with other big high-performance luxury vehicles I've tried of late), and the reason I'm considering stretching to the P90Ds that are inventory. The P+ is the one in short supply (other than the loaner fleet, apparently). But, against that, I've also driven: The aforementioned Lexus GS-F, E63 AMG and the Macan Turbo. But the whole reason I'm upset about the P+ is that package looks like it fixes (based on reviews here and online) the only thing I didn't like about the standard P: The handling. Again, though I probably am probably in the minority of what I am prioritizing.