Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Luxury Tax - Sept 1, 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New draft legislation for the proposed Luxury Tax starting September 1, 2022.

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine
I thought this was a done deal. Tesla even called me up to try to talk me into switching from a Model X to a Model S Performance in order to beat the rollout of the luxury tax at the end of last year. Happy it's not in place yet. My Model X was supposed to be delivered in May, but has been postponed to September. Sure hope I get it before the tax is in place.

In the meantime, I sent them an email (I also did on the first round of consultations) suggesting they increase the threshold by 50% for boats, planes and vehicles that do not burn fossil fuels as the increased cost reflects the extra cost of batteries (or developing other alternative power sources) rather than simply a reflection of luxury. Can't hurt to try.

BC already has a luxury car tax since 2018… was surprised by it when I was ordering my M3LR. Any car over CAD$55k will be charged some extra percentages of GST. I know that a Tesla is by no means super affordable or cost saving but 55k just seems too low for a car to be considered “luxury”.
BC Luxury Car Tax Calculator
This has changed recently, effective Feb 23, 2022. The limit is now $75k before the luxury tax gets charged - on ZEVs only though. And it’s not on the GST, it’s added PST.

Here’s the government bulletin if you’re interested.

This has changed recently, effective Feb 23, 2022. The limit is now $75k before the luxury tax gets charged - on ZEVs only though. And it’s not on the GST, it’s added PST.

Here’s the government bulletin if you’re interested.

Yes I recently learned about this too and confirmed with the sales that the actual tax to be paid will reflect when I take delivery. I I applied for finance and what I was told is that my monthly payment won’t change, but the the 2000 difference from the lower tax at delivery will just go toward the down payment.