Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LV 12v battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the original 12v AGM battery from my 2018 P100D. I have recently replaced it as I didn't want to go through having problems with bricking the car and not being able to access it. When I took it out and replaced it, I tested it with my tester. I have an advanced tester that actually puts a load on the battery and can tell you the CCA that the battery actually has. Long story short is that the battery is still good. The rated CCA of the battery is 515 and the battery tests at 550. I'm not trying to sell the battery, but if someone actually wants the battery and they live in Indianapolis and wants to drive to my house, they can certainly have the battery for free. The battery could last for another 5 years, it could last for another 5 months, who knows? The only thing I did every year was, I would "recondition" the battery with a CTEK MXS 5.0.....the process seems to have worked as I've never had a 12v lead/acid battery last longer than 4-5 years before. You can google "CTEK MXS 5.0 manual" online and see what it says the process involves. It actually takes several hours to perform this "recondition", but it seems to have worked for me. As the battery is free to anyone that would like to pick it up locally, no warranty is offered or implied. You are welcome to it if you like. If I can't fine anyone that wants it, after a month or so I'll just take it to Batteries Plus and have them recycle it as I have no use for it.

CCA is not a valid test of capacity. Use a load tester with appropriate load and measure the AH from 14 to 11v.

Then you can compare that number to the capacity listed on the battery case. From memory, for the DCS UNCR33 it is 33A/H at C/20 load.

I lost half capacity after 3.5 years. I would suggest buying one from the SvC and have it handy.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: GSP and Bill Price