Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LV hiking insurance prices again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had my LV renewal for a 2019 M3P - no claims, older drivers etc. It's gone up 37% from just under £300 to £410. I know that's still decent compared to many but a 37% hike seems unjustified. We haven't had any prangs and nothing else has changed; if anything less mileage.

Anyone else seeing big increases? I'm going back to them today to see how they justify it. Cheers.

• Informative
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
£410 sounds amazing.

I don't know your circumstances, but I pay more than double that with Novo. I'm expecting insurance premiums to go up again come next year due to Tesla's apparently inability to supply parts in any reasonable timeframe.

£410 sounds amazing.

I don't know your circumstances, but I pay more than double that with Novo. I'm expecting insurance premiums to go up again come next year due to Tesla's apparently inability to supply parts in any reasonable timeframe.
This is an utterly ridiculous situation. No windscreens so people are waiting months for replacement, and God forbid you need a replacement panel… I’m surprised it’s not hitting headlines. Surely an easy target for bears?

Reactions: Kenners and Durzel
This is an utterly ridiculous situation. No windscreens so people are waiting months for replacement, and God forbid you need a replacement panel… I’m surprised it’s not hitting headlines. Surely an easy target for bears?
Hyperbole aside I'm actually really worried about having any kind of accident in my car now. I don't need it daily, but at the same time waiting several months for a new wing or whatever is just ridiculous.

It feels conspicuous at this point how Tesla is delivering cars each quarter, or more often than that, fully assembled, yet it seemingly can't stick a bunch of parts on the same boat. It feels like all of the spare parts are going into building new cars, because the margin is bigger on those. Selling a windscreen to a customer who is already accounted for in their sales figures is of no interest to them, it would seem.

Reactions: Doudeau
M3p, 2020. Last year with LV was £270, renewed with them June 25th this year and now £355 - Sure it has gone up but I'm more than happy with that when i read of some of the premiums others are paying. I was paying more for my Focus RS prior to the Tesla and 4 years prior to that with the 911 it was a tad more.

I suspect as Tesla’s become more common on the UK roads there is much more data available to the insurers as to claims. More claims will make Tesla’s higher risk and premiums rise for all of us. With parts shortages extending repair times, the added hire car costs make claims more expensive….again forcing premiums up.

We’re knackered really.

Reactions: Durzel
It feels conspicuous at this point how Tesla is delivering cars each quarter, or more often than that, fully assembled, yet it seemingly can't stick a bunch of parts on the same boat. It feels like all of the spare parts are going into building new cars, because the margin is bigger on those. Selling a windscreen to a customer who is already accounted for in their sales figures is of no interest to them, it would seem.

Actually there is a lot more profit in selling spare parts - and when i say a lot I mean massive. If you were able to build from scratch a Tesla 3 just from spare parts its likely to cost over £130K.
However, few will ditch Tesla because of a parts shortage but the queues for new cars is unbelievable so they make the profit on selling the cars and when demand eventually reduces they will make even more supplying parts to those waiting.
What is needed is for other manufacturers to produce real alternatives to Tesla and that will focus Tesla into satisfying customers by providing a good customer service and experience- The others are getting there -- assisted by Tesla who are removing their USP in having their own charge network and their bean counters looking at value engineering - removing bits off the cars and lowering the quality of materials fitted whilst looking at every opportunity to milk their customers. (premium connectivity, free charging withdrawn, referral system etc)

Thanks folks, good to know I'm not alone and that we are a victim of circumstances. I managed to get them back to £389 so I guess I should be happy with that. It will be interesting to see how it goes over the next couple of years. My wife's car insurance, a sporty VW Up! actually went down in price, as did her sisters. Ho hum, can't win 'em all.

I suspect as Tesla’s become more common on the UK roads there is much more data available to the insurers as to claims. More claims will make Tesla’s higher risk and premiums rise for all of us. With parts shortages extending repair times, the added hire car costs make claims more expensive….again forcing premiums up.

We’re knackered really.
higher risk than insurance group 50? where is higher?!!!

Mine just came down by £100. and I did compare last year so was not over paying then as far as I can tell.
Don't get me wrong Admiral TRIED to hike the price at renewal but when presented with a quote from DL they then brought it down to match.
So much for the not ripping off existing customers law....

At the same time I got a quote from Admiral via money supermarket for my wifes mini with young driver attached that was the cheapest out there £400.
So I rang Admiral and asked to add it to my policy in the hope of getting a further multicar discount (same renewal date for both cars) when I did that they quoted me £1100 for the mini not both cars just the Mini. So £700 more than the quote they gave me via money supermarket.

I also asked Admiral for a speculative quote for an MY to give me an idea for for when I get it. They quoted it £400. which is £70 less than they would give me on the M3??? I bet when I do get it mysteriously that price will have doubled as well.

Insurance is a total scam.

Mine just came down by £100. and I did compare last year so was not over paying then as far as I can tell.
Don't get me wrong Admiral TRIED to hike the price at renewal but when presented with a quote from DL they then brought it down to match.
So much for the not ripping off existing customers law....

At the same time I got a quote from Admiral via money supermarket for my wifes mini with young driver attached that was the cheapest out there £400.
So I rang Admiral and asked to add it to my policy in the hope of getting a further multicar discount (same renewal date for both cars) when I did that they quoted me £1100 for the mini not both cars just the Mini. So £700 more than the quote they gave me via money supermarket.

I also asked Admiral for a speculative quote for an MY to give me an idea for for when I get it. They quoted it £400. which is £70 less than they would give me on the M3??? I bet when I do get it mysteriously that price will have doubled as well.

Insurance is a total scam.
I’m with Admiral and a speculative quote on my MYLR (on order) was £56 cheaper than my M3SR+

But as you say, when I actually get the car you can bet it’ll be more expensive 🤣

• Funny
Reactions: Blueskye
Insurance is illogical and, as a poster above said, a scam in many cases. We have two cars, one with me as main driver and the other my wife. Both are with LV on separate policies. At renewal for the M3 they asked if we wanted to pair them and get a multi-car policy discount. The quote for both on multi-car came in higher than the separate policies.

Have you tried A-plan insurance? I spoke to them recently during supercharged but didn't get a quote since I'm already with directline Car Insurance, Home Insurance and Much More | A-Plan
I use A-plan for our home insurance and used them in the past for auto insurance. Unless you have a particularly tricky situation (something unique about car or driver), in my view, you really don't need an insurance broker for auto insurance.

Reactions: prabhu
Insurance is illogical and, as a poster above said, a scam in many cases.
I agree, Its a business where no one but the underwriters understands it, and if you try to push the insurer by asking logical questions they just tell you its a complicated algorithm of factors - because those working for the businesses don't understand it either.

From my perspective and assuming you make no claim in the insurance period they get paid for doing nothing at all. - You call them, will you insure my "whatever it is" - they ask lots of questions and say "Yea, OK, give us £xxx" - You go online, download and print your own documents and that's it. They don't have anything to pay out up front - which begs the question - why do they charge you more for paying by instalments? - where are their added costs?

If mid year some details change and you call them then the less than UK minimum paid call centre staff (earning the equivalent of £5 per month) in a foreign land access the account and edit the details - a minutes work and a £25 admin fee.
Come renewal they add a bit to the previous years premium on the basis they have done it for so many years that we all expect it - and they don't want to disappoint. However, If you call them and intimate you may change insurer they can immediately knock a bit off - or match some one else's quote - so do they anticipate challenges and just add a bit to the premium to see if they can get away with it?

Risk - They claim to assess risk based on so many factors none of them actually list all the criteria they use. If you have a no fault accident - someone else bashes your car in a car park - you are not in your car at the time, - even though you were not a factor in the incident the underwriters raise your personal risk which in turn raises your next renewal premium. They all brag that if your hit by an uninsured driver, or the victim of damage to your vehicle and you are not to blame for the accident, (This includes those instances where the other driver accepts full responsibility and their insurer covers all costs) that your no claims discount isn't affected - which is true, but they are playing semantics - what they don't say is they will raise your premium and apply an unchanged NCD to that premium - the result is your still paying more. Now if you try to ascertain from them a figure that indicates how much the no blame incident has added to your premium - they wont tell you, and go into their schpeel about all the factors used in calculating risk - and that insurance usually does rise each year, or its the underwriters decision and they don't indicate how they arrived at the figure quoted. In short they do everything to evade answering a simple question. Insurance is big business and everything is calculated by a computer program that someone wrote - so they know exactly how much is added to a premium and for every single factor. The reason they wont declare the information is because if they told you your no fault incident has added £30 annually to your premium for three years - if you have established who the at fault person was you could add that figure to your claim and be reimbursed - and they don't want you to be able to do that. The law is clear - If a person suffers a tort (Something wasn't done that should have been done - or - something was done that shouldn't have been done) then you have a negligence case, and if you suffer "damages" (A financial cost of 1p or more) it is claimable - so in effect the insurance industry is preventing people from exercising their rights - which is illegal.

Talking of legality - We have an Equal opportunities act with a list of protected characteristics that makes it unlawful to discriminate or penalise people for any of those characteristics - so Age, Sex, sexual orientation, marital status, ethnicity, race - there is a big list, but the insurance industry use protected characteristic data to calculate risk.

The industry has always told people premiums rise as claims increase - or at least the costs of claims increase - and I get that, but, until parliament outlawed insurers selling claims data to law firms (which resulted in the ambulance chasers phone calls and inflated the costs of claims) they were happy selling that data - and they made a lot of money from it. One really big and well known company made £18 million in a year from selling that list. When the law stopped that practice, the insurance companies simply bought law firms out and continued that practice but were compliant with the law because the law firm was now internal to the company and they are allowed to share all data within the organisation.

When I replaced a 2019 LR Model 3 with a 2022 LR Model 3 last month they paid me back £5. Insurance premiums are generated with random number generators as a significant component of the algorithm.

Utter scam once someone has an accident as they shuffle claims off through claims companies who then try to rip each other off in conjunction with car rentals. My wife had a no fault accident where her insurer (Halifax) put her in a Enterprise car who then told her to come back in the next day (as blame had been established) as some paperwork needed to be changed, but she in fact agreed to a new rental at twice the previous price and appointed Enterprise to manage the claim as it was 'no -fault', they then passed it on to another party (Total Claims Service). Other party refused to pay and we were required to help dodgy lawyers take them to court. TCS also tried to rip us off on the write off amount by replacing the scrappage figure from the other party with their own (much lower) figure.

The whole industry is rotten to the core, you feel you are assisting organised crime as a customer.