Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LV insurance and tracker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got an insurance quote on LV and it states:

"We require a tracker to be fitted and activated when your car is left unattended. We won't cover you for theft unless this security is fitted."

If I deselect tracker, then they won't cover it. Otherwise, the quote is very good.

Any experience of whether LV accept the Tesla's built-in tracker?
(Their call centre is closed now)

I had a tracker fitted to another of my vehicles. Caused all sorts of issues with the battery due to it recharging itself as and when - not helped by the car not being the regular mule.

That was many years ago and hopefully things have moved on tracker wise, otherwise I can see them playing havoc with the battery monitoring built into a Tesla.

Sorry, that’s not an answer to your question, but may give food for thought if being forced up that route.

I got an insurance quote on LV and it states:

"We require a tracker to be fitted and activated when your car is left unattended. We won't cover you for theft unless this security is fitted."

If I deselect tracker, then they won't cover it. Otherwise, the quote is very good.

Any experience of whether LV accept the Tesla's built-in tracker?
(Their call centre is closed now)

Can't speak for LV, but with More Than they accepted the tracker installed in my Jag... If it was a black box, it'd be a different story.

Edit: Model 3 fever

Last edited:
Reactions: -DB-
I’ve never had an insurer provided tracker on a car and don’t instead starting now if I can avoid it.

Does the Tesla M3 have an in built tracker then? I was unaware of this if so.

LV (Liverpool Victoria for those asking) and other insurers don't provide the tracker, they just demand that one be fitted
LV have previously accepted the native Tesla systems as acceptable.

The debate I've had with insurers previously is - insurance is there to protect the owner, a tracker protects the insurer - you pay.

LV (Liverpool Victoria for those asking) and other insurers don't provide the tracker, they just demand that one be fitted
LV have previously accepted the native Tesla systems as acceptable.

The debate I've had with insurers previously is - insurance is there to protect the owner, a tracker protects the insurer - you pay.

Interesting. I’ll call LV first when I get a delivery date for my M3. I use them to insure my current car so should be a case of updating the policy for the new car and no doubt paying the premium for “performance” :rolleyes:

Thanks DJP31, I’ll give LV a call to confirm.

Their quote (multicar) significantly undercuts my Admiral renewal and their website is better.
I had quite a reasonable quote from Admiral ( on the phone) can't do M3 on website yet. excess was a reasonable £350 as well as opposed to Direct line who wanted a £600 mandatory excess + optional if you wanted a reasonable quote

Does the Tesla M3 have an in built tracker then? I was unaware of this if so.

All Teslas "phone-home" all the time. 3rd party software like TeslaFi will log that data - what the temperature was inside the car, every minute of every day ... since you bought the car ... and whether the seat heater was on ... Lat/Long, battery SOC, charge rate ... hundreds of such API values.

Knowing where the car is after its been nicked you can see on your phone (and Tesla will provide that info in appropriate circumstances). One chap, finding his car missing from his drive, checked the APP on his phone to find it was parked a couple of blocks away ... he took the spare key and jumped on his folding-bike, found the car, with the key inside Doh! and put the bike in the boot and drove it home. Druggies/similar apparently ...

Phone APP will show you where the car is .. .Spouse can just park it and you can pick it up. Phone APP links to mapping-APP to give you walking directions, and when you get close and can't find it (as I did parking for a big public function in acres of featureless school playing fields) you can use the APP to flash the lights or sound the horn. I had thought "sound the horn" was a completely useless function until then ... it made the couple walking past the car jump out of their skin though!

Here's a link to About TeslaFi - if you want to try it then if you use a Referral you get a month's trial instead of two weeks. Here's my TeslaFi Referral Code if you don't have someone else's to use. (Note: TeslaFi will NOT show you data from BEFORE you started using it, so if you think you want it register soon after purchasing the car)

Reactions: interbear and -DB-
Spoke to LV and just got the stock answer about car needing to be fitted with a tracking device.

I believe myTesla is fitted with a tracking device, but it's a terrible potential loss if they refused a claim...

Insurance sucks. They should at least know the capabilities of cars with their massive databases. :(

It doesn't really help that when I Google "Tesla tracker fitted" I get this:
Frequently Asked Delivery Questions

"Does my Tesla have a tracker?
There is no tracker installed in your vehicle; however, you can track your Tesla via the mobile app, which uses a GPS tracking system to locate the vehicle."

I had quite a reasonable quote from Admiral ( on the phone) can't do M3 on website yet. excess was a reasonable £350 as well as opposed to Direct line who wanted a £600 mandatory excess + optional if you wanted a reasonable quote

Be careful with that. I'm with Admiral for my cars and called them to get a quote. They couldn't initially find the model 3, but then found it as Model 3 Import. I asked them if they were sure as this isn't an import, it's the actual UK one. I pushed again and asked them to check with the underwriter. And sure enough they called me back today to say that the UK car hasn't yet gone through Thatcham certification, hasn't got an insurance category assigned to it, and so they can't cover it. They clarified that if I'd gone for the import one as the guy originally told me, the insurance would be void. I checked the Thatcham website and sure enough the model 3 hasn't got a category yet. So I called Direct Line and they sorted everything out in 10 mins, just in time as my delivery appointment is tomorrow afternoon.

Be careful with that. I'm with Admiral for my cars and called them to get a quote. They couldn't initially find the model 3, but then found it as Model 3 Import. I asked them if they were sure as this isn't an import, it's the actual UK one. I pushed again and asked them to check with the underwriter. And sure enough they called me back today to say that the UK car hasn't yet gone through Thatcham certification, hasn't got an insurance category assigned to it, and so they can't cover it. They clarified that if I'd gone for the import one as the guy originally told me, the insurance would be void. I checked the Thatcham website and sure enough the model 3 hasn't got a category yet. So I called Direct Line and they sorted everything out in 10 mins, just in time as my delivery appointment is tomorrow afternoon.
Thanks for info and congrats on being one of the first!

Thanks for that. does not surprise me. took them ages to find a way to quote so may have done the same for me. sigh.
I haven't actually bought an M3 (yet) anyway but my insurance is due so wanted a quote to find out if I change part way through the year whether they will try to hose me or not. The quote was actually very reasonable I thought but I have no guarantee at all that they will honour it later. Not sure what to do to be honest. maybe I should switch to Direct line now knowing they are definitely OK its just that the excess was crazy high. And they may be more for my current car than I am paying now.