TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Lynchburg, VA chargers

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by swengl, Aug 3, 2017.

1. swengl

swengl Member

I read a news article this morning and noticed the mention of "super-charging stations": New Tru by Hilton hotel coming to Campbell Co., creating 20 jobs. I've emailed both contacts listed on the story to see if they are planning to put in EV chargers (or possible SuCs?) at the site. I'll post again when I have more information. My fingers are crossed, this would be an excellent location for chargers in central Virginia (basically at the intersection of Rt 460 and Rt 29). Hilton has been a great proponent for EV charging, so this would make sense. http://newsroom.hilton.com/index.cfm/news/hilton-sparks-major-expansion-of-charging-stations-for-electric-vehicles.

• Informative x 1
  2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

That's weird, there aren't any superchargers on Tesla's future map for Lynchburg that I can see at all.... There are a couple of destination chargers, but the nearest planned SuC's are the ones in Charlottesville. I wonder if people are 'co-opting' the name and calling any L2 charger 'supercharging' now, which would be a pain.

Edit: Lol, I think, after reading that marketing blurb and the context, they are talking about charging for iPads/phones, etc. :D

upload_2017-8-3_12-26-31.png

3. swengl

swengl Member

Either way, I'm putting the bug in their ear that it *should* be a type of EV charger (if that isn't the plan already).

• Like x 1
  4. swengl

swengl Member

Well, it was worth a shot. It is a "super-charger" for devices. Tesla should get a trademark on that name ;)

• Like x 1
  5. swengl

swengl Member

6. XHokie

XHokie Member

Great news, but odd that they refer to the destination charger as a Tesla Model 3 charger. It has nothing to do with Model 3 and it's not just for Model 3; will work with any Teslas, but just goes to show that even the local news stations have a lot to learn about Tesla and EVs. :)

• Like x 1
  7. swengl

swengl Member

That's the first thing I noticed too. They'll catch on, EVentually.

• Funny x 1
  8. swengl

swengl Member

I stopped by today to check out the chargers at the Courtyard Marriott in Lynchburg. There are 2 chargers situated at the front corner of the parking lot and they both appear to be configured to provide up to 80A of energy (the max for the units). I stopped by the front desk to thank the folks for putting them in. They had cones blocking the closest spots, but they installed the longer cables so they could easily reach cars parked two spots over. IMG_0012.JPG IMG_0011.JPG

• Like x 2
  9. CHGolferJim

CHGolferJim Member

Maybe the cones are to deter ICE parking and could be moved by Tesla drivers?

10. swengl

swengl Member

Probably. They could also be waiting to paint an EV only symbol on the spot. They don't have any EV parking signs up, yet.