Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M$ Your Phone - Display Tesla App on Windows Desktop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Medved_77

TM3 SR+ | MSM+Black | No FSD
Jan 20, 2020
Scotland
2020-11-06 18_52_06-Window.png

Not revolutionary and there are other ways to achieve this however this process is pretty seamless.

For Samsung phone users with Windows 10, the latest Win10 build (20H2) allows you to connect to your phone with the 'Your Phone' app to display apps from your phone on your Windows desktop.

Microsoft Your Phone can run multiple Android apps on select devices

Reactions: Monkeyworld
I managed to link my Samsung to my Win10 PC using Your Phone. It's working, I can see incoming text messages on my PC.

But I can't work out how to access any apps from the phone on the PC. What do I have to do to get access to apps?
The ability to display apps on your desktop is only available in Windows Feature Update 20H2.

Check windows update and see if this build is available for you. It hasn't rolled out to all hardware yet.

I had assumed that I had the latest win10 version as my PC reported an update recently.

But it appears that MS are releasing 20H2 gradually - reminds you of any other organisation? When I check for updates on my PC, it does not show 20H2. Apparently MS are checking hardware is suitable before offering the 20H2 update, and I have an old win7 PC that I updated to win10 a year ago.

I know that it is possible to download the 20H2 update from MS and install it manually, but I will wait until MS give me 20H2 through the standard update process.

Thanks for all your help.

Reactions: Medved_77
There are quite a few options for running Android on a PC, some work OK for some apps (typically games) but fewer support every aspect of the Android OS. If you run a Linux PC, then the chances are that some Android apps will run a bit better than on a Windows PC, primarily because Android and Linux share much of the same kernel (Android was originally branched from Linux). Bluestacks works OK for games, I believe, but doesn't support the Tesla app. Bliss OS may be a bit better than Bluestacks for running Android apps on a Windows machine, but I've not tried it. Anbox works very well if you have a Linux machine. I've not yet tried it with the Tesla app, but as it seems to run pretty much anything I've thrown at it there seems a good chance it would work OK. The snag with Anbox, and other emulators, is that they don't work well with the Play Store, which means side loading apps via APKs. This is fine if you know that the APK is kosher, but does carry a small risk if using any old APK downloaded from the web. As Anbox runs in a container, the only real risk is to that container, although there are obviously potential issues with anything that has access to an account.

Got to ask, what's the point when you most likely have a phone in your pocket already running the App?
Just saves a few moments by not detaching my fingers from the keyboard or my retinas from the monitor.

Handy when the wife needs to open the charge port or fetch something from the car, without retrieving her purse/mobile from the depths of the last handbag she left the house with.

• Funny
Reactions: Bernard_S
Got to ask, what's the point when you most likely have a phone in your pocket already running the App?

Neither of us ever have our phones on at home, but there's a fair chance that either a PC or Macbook will be on some of the time. I rescued an old Sony tablet that had a knackered battery, fixed on the wall in my study, and have it on all the time just running the Tesla app. Works OK, and has a big enough screen that I don't need to get my reading glasses out to use it. Sooner or later I'd guess that it'll stop working though, as it's pretty ancient, and is running an old version of Lineage OS (essentially Android without any of the Google stuff).

To tidy up my post above about the Win10H2 update. It finally arrived as a update for my Win10 PC, and it installed without problems.

But although my Samsung phone is a current model, it is low end (smallest and lightest I could find) and I can't get apps on my desktop.

Thanks for posting all the information above.