Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor M14x1.5 grade 5 titanium lug nuts set of 20 that fit Tesla model S 3 X Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Titanium is is far stronger, pound-for-pound. So High grade stainless steel would be stronger, but weigh about twice as much.
The specifics depend on whether the Titanium is an alloy or pure metal, and the metal you are comparing it with.
The weight savings is the big benefit here since any weight saved from the wheels/tires/brake rotors/ axles, et. al. Is both rotating mass and unsprung weight. This gives exponential gains in acceleration and handling (I think a pound saved in unsprung weight is equal to three pounds of sprung weight...)
I thought I had wheel studs from a BMW that might be the right size, but I may have included them in the sale of a car several years ago.

Titanium is is far stronger, pound-for-pound. So High grade stainless steel would be stronger, but weigh about twice as much.
The specifics depend on whether the Titanium is an alloy or pure metal, and the metal you are comparing it with.
The weight savings is the big benefit here since any weight saved from the wheels/tires/brake rotors/ axles, et. al. Is both rotating mass and unsprung weight. This gives exponential gains in acceleration and handling (I think a pound saved in unsprung weight is equal to three pounds of sprung weight...)
I thought I had wheel studs from a BMW that might be the right size, but I may have included them in the sale of a car several years ago.
True Ti has a greater strength/weight but whenever comparing materials grades and alloys have to be compared to compare strengths as they can be all over the place.

I'll add another vote for closed-end nuts, if you ever think of expanding your offerings :)

Some other feedback:

After having tried some 10 different lugs, I think anything with a 19mm hex looks too small on stock bore. I realize you originally made these for an aftermarket bore, but with Signature (for example) doing stock-lug-compatible wheels you might have a bunch of potential customers who don't want tiny nuts (;)). I would be happy to see a 21mm hex nut like the SL to keep the beefy and flush stock look.

I think 40mm is way too long for anything but the stock wheels. I realize it's trendy for some cars but I'm not sure Tesla owners fit the Japanese tuner crowd :) I'm curious what your intended application is for those? I tried some 40mm lugs on my signature wheels and they stuck out past the wheel pretty far. But I realize this is just personal preference.

What's your motivation for the wheel studs? Are they Ti? If so, how does it compare in terms of galling, needing to use anti-seize, etc vs steel if you have Ti on Ti? I'm really on the fence about using Ti lugs, seems like it has headaches on a part where I don't want any headaches...

I would assume the custom studs would be corrosion resistant? I wish I knew about this thread sooner. I replaced my OEM studs with Dorman's which are much better than OEM, but still steel. I'd be interested to learn more though! I am constantly swapping wheels depending on summer/winter, track, etc. And with all the salt on the roads here in winter I always look for corrosion resistant parts when I need to replace.

Just received mine! Showed a before and after along with a close-up. Looking good.

Attachments

• IMG_6077.PNG
    IMG_6077.PNG
    3.8 MB · Views: 444
  • IMG_6078.jpg
    IMG_6078.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_6083.jpg
    IMG_6083.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_6084.jpg
    IMG_6084.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 297
Jeff, I'd like to purchase your titanium lug nuts for some Martian wheels...can you provide me with a link to your Ebay listing or otherwise contact me at Jfried at me dot com with purchase details. I can't seem to PM you??

TIA.

Jack
Here's the link to his eBay listing.

• Helpful
Reactions: outdoors