Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 $15K in damage from hitting a rock to the underbody?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since this is a learning experience for me (not a car person) was wondering if someone would be kind enough to take OP's attached file image and annotate it with some of the car parts shown. Not sure what or where I'm looking at in the photo and would love to have an understanding. Thanks.

Also in way of educating, is the material that has the hole, the same material that I've seen a few people in threads indicate has torn when wet and found sometimes dragging on the road? Curious what it's made of.

Last edited:
Was there a coolant drip spot where you park? Looks like there should have been. How long had the drip spot been there? If the tow truck had done it the back of the battery would not have been streak staind from the coolant. Who else had access to your key cards or phone and wanted to drive your car?

Ouch. That sucks. Sounds like warranty is covering it, so that’s good.

I would imagine they don’t have to cover that, because it’s certainly not a manufacturer defect. That’s good of them.

That being said, $15k for a new battery is a lot, but not too bad considering it’s such a big part of the car.

Keep us posted.
Just like that other guy who got rear ended at low speed and had to get his battery replaced for $15k..

..I suppose that wasn’t a manufacturing defect either ?:)

On Model S there is a titanium underbody shield and an aluminum deflector that was added after several accidents. Is that there for the Model 3?

Tesla Adds Titanium Underbody Shield and Aluminum Deflector Plates to Model S

Tesla Model S Underbody Shields Installed - Consumer Reports Video
Ive been under my model3 several times for tire rotations and a flat. The shield you see in the photo is pretty thin. Unless there is something above it, I think it would be relatively easy to puncture. Looks like an opportunity for the aftermarket people to provide an additional lightweight shield.

Do you expect Tesla and the Insurance company to just take OP's word on it ?
No, but the insurance company can choose to pay themselves or let Tesla if they determine it was not caused by a road incident. Either way the insurance company is going to deal with it.

I'm also assuming the OP is not lying about it not happening when he had the car.

Last edited:
I bet the OP is not too concerned about nibs in the paint about now. ;)

Some years ago I saw too late and hit a piece of angle iron on the Interstate in my brand new Prius. It sounded like a rifle shot ..... there was no mistaking the fact that I had hit it.
IMHO, modern cars do not have enough ground clearance, especially having rocks (or whatever) on the road, potholes, concrete curbs and driving in snow. Ya, I know it for for reduced drag.

Finally ... others have speculated, so I'll do the same thing.
It looks to me like whatever was hit was irregular shaped. The front fascia almost cleared the object, but the pan grazed it and caused it to tumble, and a protruding corner punched the hole, then continued to dent/damage the battery case. I do not see any reason to conclude it was a slow speed hit. Interestingly (and a positive), the battery case did a pretty good job of protecting the batteries.

Last edited:
@cremavita

Was the coolant valve message due to the hole? If so, that would likely rule out the flatbed.

May we ask who is footing the bill for it? I would chalk it up to a freak occurrence as no one else has reported something like this to my knowledge.

dont know for sure. the coolant valve message is what alerted me to the issue. they did remote diagnostic and decided to have it flat bedded to the service center. only then did the hole get noticed.

seems like a freak occurrence. insurance covered it.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
FWIW, this thread dissuaded me from taking my new-ish Model 3 on a trip to a remote cabin in the Texas hill country where there's been recent flooding and there is still high water over many crossings. We took the wife's Soul, and it was a really good decision. The low ground clearance of the 3 might not have fared as well as the Soul's.

Had a similar incidence in my old Buick. Hit some debris on the road. It punctured my low hanging oil pan. The oil ran out and ruined the engine. Had to pay that one out of my own pocket too.

First warning I had was when the temp gauge went into the red. I drove to the nearest repair place, but by that time the damage was done.

If you hit something with your car, it is on you to do the repairs. If you have good insurance, maybe they will step up, less your deductible.

Same with a broken windshield. If something falls off a truck and it breaks your windshield, they are responsible. If the truck kicks up a stone that was already on the road, then they are not responsible and either you or your own insurance will pay.

This is another reason the driver needs to stay alert to the road ahead, even with autopilot. You may need to swerve to avoid a rock in the road or a big pot hole.