TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

M3 Acceleration Shudder/Vibration in the wheel

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by M3 2018, Apr 4, 2018.

1. M3 2018

M3 2018 Member

Anyone experiencing acceleration shudder in the front wheel around 40-50 mph. My M3 has 650 miles. It's going to the service center on Friday to fix this and the back up camera at night (streaking/flashing).

Wondering if I'm the only one. Really hoping they are able to fix it permanently without fear of it coming back.

• Informative x 1
  2. jschwefel

jschwefel VIN #1249, aka “Frank”

None here. The only shudder I have is with lane detection; I decided to turn that off.

• Like x 1
  3. viet658

viet658 Member

I'm taking my car in for the same issue tomorrow morning. I'm thinking it might be a tire balancing issue.

4. dapiya

dapiya Member

I thought I was having a balancing issue or something like you are describing going on as well. I was convinced it was happening in the 40-50mph range too for whatever reason. I finally realized it was indeed the lane detection. I haven't driven a car with steering wheel vibrations for warnings. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.:rolleyes:

Do the Jschwefel and turn it off.

• Like x 1
  5. M3 2018

M3 2018 Member

Turning it off might just be the ticket! Why does the M3 shake the wheel without telling you why it's doing so? Does the M3 tell you? Strange. To me when you lane drift the last thing you might want to happen is to have your wheel shake making it possibly even worse. Hmmm...

6. dapiya

dapiya Member

No visual or aural alert... just the tactile vibration in the steering wheel. I'd think at least an aural alert would be best for someone failing asleep or not paying attention.

• Like x 1
  7. RyanS

RyanS Ka-chow

I thought I was going crazy with these random steering wheel vibrations. I was about to take it to SC for inspection. Now it totally makes sense. It was the lane departure warning. I appreciate OP for creating this thread.

• Like x 1
  8. Brady12

Brady12 Member

Ditto!!! LOL!! I just turned off the lane departure warning and will see if I notice a difference driving home today.

9. jhotchki

jhotchki New Member

I have the same vibration at 40-50 mph after one month of ownership. Will check out the lane departure warning hypothesis.

10. winsrufer

winsrufer Member

I just picked up my M3 a few days ago and felt this exact issue at around 40-50 mph. Situation only happens on the freeway and it felt like the front driver side wheel needs alignment. I am a little skeptical about this being a feature on the lane departure warning - why would all of us thinks it come on only at this speed?

Does any one have an update on their service visit?

11. Matt3y

Matt3y Member

Wow, I would have never thought that this was lane departure. I'll turn mine off and see if I notice a difference.

12. Matt3y

Matt3y Member

Yep, that was it. Thank you jschwefel!

• Informative x 1
  13. CuriousM3

CuriousM3 Member

I felt some vibration on deceleration before I dropped it off at the service center, but the model S loaner vibrates a lot too randomly on acceleration and deceleration

14. Arny

Arny Member

I have the same problem, but when going straight with moderate acceleration. Update on those too their cars to SC?

15. Craftbjjr

Craftbjjr New Member

If its lane departure warning its not working correctly. I purposely drifted into another lane a few times and did not get the vibration but when i accelerate and stay in the middle of my lane I will get it. I am interested to see what the SC says about it.

16. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Peanut Gallery Member

Same issue, turned out to be lane departure. I was worried for a while. :)

• Informative x 1
  17. TEG

TEG Teslafanatic

I turned off lane departure warning too because it was jiggling the wheel for no good reason sometimes.
    For instance, as I drive down a residential street with no lane markings.

18. animorph

animorph Active Member

Sometimes it rumbles over road seams instead of lane markers, but it's been pretty predictable for me. Easy enough to turn off. I don't really feel it through the wheel, but I can hear it fine from the passenger seat.

19. Craftbjjr

Craftbjjr New Member

I turned off the lane departure warning and that did it. What a useless feature maybe they will correct it in a software update. Thanks for help resolving the issue

20. bradl

bradl Member

Thanks for this topic, saved me some worry. It would be nice to be able to use lane departure as intended, though, without seemingly random freakouts while driving straight down the middle :p