Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 alarm keeps false triggering. How to stop it?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had my Tesla since March, 8 months now and alarm has never gone off. Now twice in the last few days it has gone off a few minutes after I’ve pre-warmed the cabin from the app. Was in my garage the first time so I know no one was around it. Second time was at a buddies house but nothing seemed to set it off. I’m kinda scared it’s going to keep going off. It’s quite a loud alarm and I leave much earlier than most of my neighborhood

I’ve had my Tesla since March, 8 months now and alarm has never gone off. Now twice in the last few days it has gone off a few minutes after I’ve pre-warmed the cabin from the app. Was in my garage the first time so I know no one was around it. Second time was at a buddies house but nothing seemed to set it off. I’m kinda scared it’s going to keep going off. It’s quite a loud alarm and I leave much earlier than most of my neighborhood
First thing to do is check for any insects. The alarm is really sensitive to inside movement. That's what caused multiple alarms for me. I think Tesla can tell you what sensor triggered the alarm, so that may help you determine what the cause is.

Also water bottles expanding due to temperature change can cause alarm to go off

• Informative
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
The alarm on my M3 has been going off almost daily for the last couple of weeks. This has been happening in various locations, both with and without Sentry Mode active and before/after cleaning the car.

The issue has been reported to Tesla and I have a mobile service appointment booked.

Just now, received an SMS from a Tesla Remote Technician asking 'bit of a strange question, but when the alarm triggers do the hazard lights go off simultaneously with the alarm'. I couldn't answer as I've only been near the car a couple of times its happened and never really paid attention (always fumbling with my phone to open/unlock the car to stop the alarm before the neighbours get annoyed!)

Does anyone know the significance of the hazard lights triggering with the alarm or not?

...Hot off the press, just about to 'Post reply' and have received an update from the Tesla Remote engineer. They state that '..gone digging through the logs of when the alarm goes off and it looks to be an internal issue with the Rear Overhead Console. We will need to do some wiring checks onsite to verify this...'

A little annoying as don't live too close to a Service Center, and don't really fancy a day out in Reading!

Unless it’s a creepy crawley which will be in spec. If that was the case hopefully since they have identified a potential issue it would be a goodwill investigation but probably worth getting a can of Raid on the job just in case it does stop it.

The PDF estimate shows 'Correction; Overhead Console - Rear (Remove & Replace)' which I presume to indicate that an error has been found and the resolution identified.

The alarm hasn't actually triggered for a couple of days now, but I'm minded to still go through with the appointment to get the console replaced as it does sound like they located an issue.

My alarm has been going off in the same way - will try the can of raid. Thanks for the tip!

I realise that I didn't close the loop on my experience!

I didn't actually get another false alarm trigger after my last post. I decided however to continue with the service appointment given that Tesla appeared to indicate that they had remotely identified a hardware fault in the overhead console.

I went for the service appointment in early June (still no more false alarms) and they swapped out the overhead console in less than 30 minutes.

To conclude, a can of raid is a good first thing to try, but no harm in logging a service request to see if Tesla can identify anything on their side.

Reactions: init6
Not to be left out, had my first false alarm this afternoon after heavy rain fall and parking up. 30 or so minutes later, all singing and dancing and if there is one thing I hate more than anything else (maybe punctures aside), it's car alarms that go off when they shouldn't. Not the first time I've sold a car cause of this carry on.

So now, I'll be sitting with the blinds open and the tv volume down all bloody night...

Not to be left out, had my first false alarm this afternoon after heavy rain fall and parking up. 30 or so minutes later, all singing and dancing and if there is one thing I hate more than anything else (maybe punctures aside), it's car alarms that go off when they shouldn't. Not the first time I've sold a car cause of this carry on.

So now, I'll be sitting with the blinds open and the tv volume down all bloody night...
Are you not going to check for insects?

Reactions: Adopado
Same thing happened to me. I have cctv pointed at the car and nothing went near it so I scheduled a service so they could do a remote diagnostic and got this backView attachment 577534
My car alarm was triggered today 3 times within 2 hours…. no I checked my car about insects and found 4 flies in my car and killed 3 of them an 1 was so smart to escape. I hope this was the problem 😉 if yes I will no more comment this blog.

• Funny
Reactions: Adopado