Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 and MY bidirectional Charging.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They might have designed the charger for doing this, but I don't see them enabling it anytime soon for use in your house. There are all types of problems with allowing this in the home without proper protections installed. There needs to be some way to prevent islanding during power outages. On the other hand, providing the ability to give somebody who ran out of juice a little from my car would be useful and easy to implement.

Reactions: Rocky_H
A board from a 2018 M3, correct?

From 1:28 but 2:18 on if you are in a hurry... Munro has also alluded to the Y having a lot more in the circuits than what is needed (Magic...)

We'll see.

SS

I actually emailed sandy about it, he confirmed the 2020 Model Y charger board has the same components and is incapable of bidirectional charging unfortunately.

... See EV Charger, Solar Inverter & Energy Management - dcbel Not sure on 3 or Y but you can take power out of a S just fine via the chademo adapter.
HOW? Are you thinking that dcbel and the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter will allow power out of a Model S?
dcbel says "a Nissan Leaf or Tesla Model 3 can hold anywhere from 40 to 62 kWh of power." I know them mean 62 kWh of ENERGY, not power. dcbel seams to imply that a Tesla Model 3 could power my house, but we know that's not true. The M3 does not have a bidirectional charging port.

Well you could close the DC contactor like when Supercharging and that connects the battery to the charge port but that is DC. You still need a grid tie inverter to make AC and make it safe.
The discussion above was about using the on-board charger bidirectionally to output AC from the charge port. That is not possible from the analysis I have seen.

• Love
Reactions: Fiddler
Well you could close the DC contactor like when Supercharging and that connects the battery to the charge port but that is DC. You still need a grid tie inverter to make AC and make it safe.
The discussion above was about using the on-board charger bidirectionally to output AC from the charge port. That is not possible from the analysis I have seen.
***So all Tesla cars have a DC bidirectional charging port. *** The charger in the car is not bidirectional, but the charging port is DC bidirectional. Thanks.
The Tesla's drive motor's inverter could be hardware and software redesigned to be a grid tie inverter to make AC that goes backward through the WC (HPWC) to the house and grid.