Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 and rebate in the new FORD era...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

Need some advice here...was waiting for the election results to see what my next step would be. Ford Majority it is..

My M3 is ready to be designed. 4-8 week delivery time. I was thinking about waiting for the AWD but I dont want to lose the rebate. I wont buy this car without the rebate.

Here are my queestions

Given the election results would you just put in your order for the RWD right away and not risk that the AWD will be out anytime soon or the rebate will last much longer?

If I do put in my order right way - if the rebate is killed before delivery am I up s**t creek?

Thanks again

You have the risk no matter if you wait AWD or not. If ready to configure, why you did not order right after you got your invitation?
Tesla did everyone in Ontario a favor for us worring rebate to get the Model 3 before election. But some people just don’t take their favor.

In previous changes to the program they have always honoured orders placed before the change, so if that happens again you would be safe.

However, legally they are not obligated to do so, and it's possible that Ford would cancel the rebate without an exception for already ordered vehicles. The Doug Ford Facebook page responded to a message saying he would honour existing orders, but that's worth as much as any other Doug Ford promise (about nothing).

Ford has promised to cancel the rebate, so if you wait for AWD you're almost certainly not getting it.

Up to you how you feel about the risk of ordering now. I think you'll probably get the rebate, but there's definitely risk.

Hmm you’re in a tough position. had you configured prior to May You would be highly likely to get the rebate. Now, it is much more unknown. If you are not a risk taker and won’t buy the car without the rebate, you’re best off not getting the car.

Because if there was a Ford minority or a NDP govt I would have waited for the AWD

Thanks for your response -do you have any advice moving forward?

My advice is order it right away. You will have about 80% chance that you get the rebate. If you wait for AWD the it will be 0% chance that you get the rebate.

If you can’t take 20% risk of not getting the rebate, then forget the Model 3 and go for a Volt, Bolt and Nissan Leaf. As they deduct the 14000 on point of sale, so 0% risk.

Reactions: akidesir
I'm gonna agree with most people here (and am in the same boat as OP). I wanted to wait for the AWD, but with the Ford Majority, even if I was invited to configure today (not happening), it would be another 3 months before delivery, and by then I'm almost certain the rebate will be gone. Ford doesn't take office until the 29th of the month, and they said their first order of business will be an audit of the books. So I think with a 4-8 week delivery, even if they killed the incentive for any un-delivered cars, you'd still probably catch it. That's the wager I'm going with, and just about to place my order for all these reasons. I like the idea of AWD, but not for a 20k premium. Worst case scenario, I trade in the car a year from now for an AWD version with whatever new cowbell comes standard by then, and you break even given the smaller loss of value with Teslas and the rebate offsetting that.

If you wait for AWD the it will be 0% chance that you get the rebate.
You don't know that, no one does.
AWD could come out for order tomorrow or in December. Ordering now could lock in your rebate as the Ford campaign said or not. The PCs could reduce the EVIP as soon as they are sworn in or keep it going with Cap and Trade until they cancel that.

No one really knows, all of us are just guessing.

The AWD model is not listed on the EHVIP approved list, so that's a non starter right there isn't it? It would need to be added to admissibility list

Right now it's only limited the RWD LR models

Also remember you need to own the vehicle for a minimum of 12 months, or else you will owe refund on the incentive

You don't know that, no one does.
AWD could come out for order tomorrow or in December. Ordering now could lock in your rebate as the Ford campaign said or not. The PCs could reduce the EVIP as soon as they are sworn in or keep it going with Cap and Trade until they cancel that.

No one really knows, all of us are just guessing.

Nothing is absolute, but getting AWD for rebate is towards 0% chance. AWD need to be listed on the Ontario rebate eligibility list before you can even think about it. Will Tesla ship a AWD here for testing purposes for getting it eligible? Sorry, that may not happen as the program may be canceled by the time Tesla ships one here.

Nothing is absolute, but getting AWD for rebate is towards 0% chance. AWD need to be listed on the Ontario rebate eligibility list before you can even think about it. Will Tesla ship a AWD here for testing purposes for getting it eligible? Sorry, that may not happen as the program may be canceled by the time Tesla ships one here.
I've never heard of a testing process, where did you hear about a car having to be available for testing to be evip eligible???

BTW the model 3 rwd wasn't even eligible until after invites went out.

I assume the government has to approve the car to be on the list (not saying the approval involves an actual test car though), but if their intention is to kibosh the rebate altogether, why would they continue adding cars to the list?

Reactions: RedM3
I assume the government has to approve the car to be on the list (not saying the approval involves an actual test car though), but if their intention is to kibosh the rebate altogether, why would they continue adding cars to the list?
Because those that work on the evip are not affiliated with a political party. They keep working ( as hard as government workers do) until they are advised to make a change. Don't forget the configurator went up and the 3 was available for order before the evip rebate was approved.

Last edited:
Fair enough. I was as optimistic as the other guy, but I've come to see what I believe is reality: The rebate is on its way out, and anyone's chances of getting the AWD option and the rebate are slim. To me, I wanted AWD, but not at a $20k premium (6k premium + 14k lost). The EVIP rebate form clearly states the government can cancel it at any time and with no warning. Ford has stated that his party would honour orders in progress at the time they cancel the rebate (and the Liberals have done the same with each change in the program), but who knows what will actually happen. Even if I were invited to configure AWD today, it will be uncomfortably long time to wait for delivery, all the while knowing Ford could cancel the program outright. Will I feel bad if the program doesn't get scrapped until January or later? Sure. But I'll feel worse if it's scrapped early and I don't get the rebate at all. My bet (and it is risky for sure!) is that it will take Ford some time to move to the EVIP scrapping. He's got 3 weeks till he takes office, and I'm betting easily a few weeks until he turns his sights to EVIP. By that time I'm hoping my car will have been delivered, which is why I put my order in yesterday! :cool::D

The way I see it, the best course of action is to get the RWD now and get the $14K incentive. Then eventually trade it in to Tesla for an AWD Model 3 in 6-12 months. You basically get the $14K on the trade in value....
Although you should in theory also lose $14k in accelerated deprecation in year one of the cars life...and another $14k when your evil gets clawed back for not holding the rwd car for 12 months.

Fair enough. I was as optimistic as the other guy, but I've come to see what I believe is reality: The rebate is on its way out, and anyone's chances of getting the AWD option and the rebate are slim. To me, I wanted AWD, but not at a $20k premium (6k premium + 14k lost). The EVIP rebate form clearly states the government can cancel it at any time and with no warning. Ford has stated that his party would honour orders in progress at the time they cancel the rebate (and the Liberals have done the same with each change in the program), but who knows what will actually happen. Even if I were invited to configure AWD today, it will be uncomfortably long time to wait for delivery, all the while knowing Ford could cancel the program outright. Will I feel bad if the program doesn't get scrapped until January or later? Sure. But I'll feel worse if it's scrapped early and I don't get the rebate at all. My bet (and it is risky for sure!) is that it will take Ford some time to move to the EVIP scrapping. He's got 3 weeks till he takes office, and I'm betting easily a few weeks until he turns his sights to EVIP. By that time I'm hoping my car will have been delivered, which is why I put my order in yesterday! :cool::D
I might bail on AWD too but because of the Trump tariff uncertainty which would raise the price of autos I'm thinking. This plus US tax credit taking up all the production. Then evip which I don't think will be affected soon but probably by Sept and who knows if AWD will be delivered or available for order.

I've never had to consider any of this for any other car lol