Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Audio Quality and Using Referral code to get Free Supercharger miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All

My first post here....

I took delivery of my M3 LR on 30th June as a home delivery and like so many people, we had the usual issues of panel alignment, paint scratches, missing bits etc which the SC at West Drayton have sorted so far.

So the car was ordered via a referral code - but I have not yet had any credits for free supercharging for 1000 miles and have chased verbally at the SC and via emails etc - but no joy yet. Just wondering how long have people had to wait for add on to put in the Loot box?

Also curious to know what people think about the hifi quality of the Premier Sound system? I have seen and read that it is meant to be as good as a Harman Kardon system. Currently, I would strongly disagree as I have one in my outgoing BMW.

The M3 audio experience - sounds ok but nothing special at all? All the speakers are working - there isn't any real immersive detailed stereo signal and the frequency response as a set of drums is played is ok but nowhere near as well defined as on the old car hifi.

I asked the SC to listen at the last visit and they said no fault found. I thought crossover etc might have failed component ?? I have obviously tweaked all the EQ settings and immersive sound settings (which seem to do very little?)

Any thoughts/comments welcome.

Thanks!

Make sure all 15 speakers are working.

Free supercharger miles should have been added very soon after you got the car, if not there are ready. I made sure the free charging was on my account before I even got my car. I kept emailing my account manager to triple check that the free charging was applied to my account before I got the car. LOL.

I think it's too late now to get that free mileage.

I was expecting good things from the Tesla premium audio package too. I have to agree the Harman Kardon system in my previous BMW M3 and Bose in the Nissan GTR were much better. Disappointing as the reviews seemed to state it was really good. For me the clarity is fairly good, but there is a distinct lack of low frequency response, particularly for a car with a built in sub. It is like it has a crossover set to only accept frequencies over 100Hz.

I know you said it was ordered via referral code, but just want to be clear and rule this out. You actually ordered, on the front end, through a referral link, correct? You didn't just get it "added" after the fact. Reason I ask is because you will never see those miles if it was "added" after you ordered.

Agreed the sound system isn't stunning. But I can't hear detail over road noise in the Tesla or in most other cars anyway. As to bass, it's a small subwoofer, and so the premium system is tuned to peak around 60Hz, that's typical "consumer" taste.

I've tested it with white noise and a calibrated mic, and I get the following response on the Premium Sound System with the EQ set to "flat".

Screenshot_2019-03-26-19-11-54-1M.jpg

It will depend on what's in your car, but it's demonstrably flatter and better in my M3 with the EQ set like this:

Screenshot_2019-03-28-21-54-34-1M.jpg

If somebody wants more sub-bass, they should just wire in a $150 powered subwoofer. There must be a place to squeeze one in, at 2.7" tall. I haven't tried them, there are several types and you can return 'em.