Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Audio Upgrades- Show us what you did

Will you be modifying your stock stereo?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Partsguy100

'21 M3, Navy Blue w/ Tesla Offer speaker harness
I'm a new M3 SR+ owner and very interested in seeing what you've done to upgrade your stock audio. The only thread I can see is the massive Hansshow thread. This is the thread to show us pictures, what you learned and what you would have done differently.

Myself, I ordered the Tesla Offer harness and bought the Alpine KTP-445U amp to power the tweeters and headliner speakers. Also looking to add a sub at the back but not sure which one. New to car audio but not electricity. I've added some images I've saved but apologize for not providing credit to the rightful owners.

Attachments

• Stereo wiring diagram.jpeg
    Stereo wiring diagram.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 1,121
  • Wiring harness.jpeg
    Wiring harness.jpeg
    183.9 KB · Views: 632
Reactions: ElectrekPanda
Very helpful! The clarify and quality of the sound system is excellent but it's missing the low end thump I was used to in my previous car, where I had a 10 in 300W sub. Obviously the 8 in one can't compete. Not super high on my list of projects (many house things will come first) but I'll likely add something to supplement the 8 in sub one day.

Reactions: Jason1652
You can also follow my build here:

I'm getting close to having everything installed, and then will have it professionally tuned afterwards. Mines more on the expensive spectrum with close to $3000 invested between amps, speakers, cables, materials. In hindsight I have some ideas how to save a bunch lol.

I'm a new M3 SR+ owner and very interested in seeing what you've done to upgrade your stock audio. The only thread I can see is the massive Hansshow thread. This is the thread to show us pictures, what you learned and what you would have done differently.

Myself, I ordered the Tesla Offer harness and bought the Alpine KTP-445U amp to power the tweeters and headliner speakers. Also looking to add a sub at the back but not sure which one. New to car audio but not electricity. I've added some images I've saved but apologize for not providing credit to the rightful owners.
Personally, if I was doing things on the inexpensive without the DSP and speaker upgrades.. I'd do what you did for start. I'd then add a subwoofer in the trunk using an AudioControl 300.1 amp since it has a line-out converter and bass restoration built in to fix the factory bass roll-off.

For a sub, you could pretty much go with most 10" subs and put it in the trunk well. Thats where mine lives.

Thanks for the heads up @amorris on the sub. My goal this spring is to build a fibreglass box to house a 10" woofer in the same location as the factory sub. Never built one before and the youtube videos look easy along with guidance videos from the same guy who's video you linked above. Was thinking of the JL 10W3 sub. Will definitely post pictures when I'm done.

Thanks for the heads up @amorris on the sub. My goal this spring is to build a fibreglass box to house a 10" woofer in the same location as the factory sub. Never built one before and the youtube videos look easy along with guidance videos from the same guy who's video you linked above. Was thinking of the JL 10W3 sub. Will definitely post pictures when I'm done.

I'm also going to add a sub this spring but I'm thinking it would be way easier to just put a powered subwoofer in the sub trunk. There are a number of brands that would fit there easily, including JL Audio. I'm definitely interested to see your result though!

I needed low end bass as well and upgraded my SR+ audio with the following:

Speaker Activation - Wire Harness (Teslaoffer) (2hrs Install)
  • Enabled 6 speakers (4 front/2 rear)

Upgraded Front Door Mid Bass Woofers (Audioliphe.com) (2hrs install)
  • Focal ISU-200 8inch
  • 3D Printed Mounts - printed over 4 days (ABS plastic)

Sub/Amp/LOC: (3hrs Install)
  • 12inch Polk in Ported Box db1212 (360W RMS/26-200Hz, old gear I had laying around w/ below amp)
  • 500W RMS Alpine Amp MRP-M500
  • AudioControl LC7i Line Out Converter
  • Scosche UAKP Universal Amp KwikPlug
  • Rockford Fosgate Amp Kit

Outcome: speaker activation was cheap and truly enhanced the clarity, front door woofers increased bass response in an adequate fashion, but the sub install really made the difference and I more than pleased with the quality of bass not to mention it shakes the car. Although my sub/amp was laying around, to increase space I would opt for a JL microsub to place in the "sub-trunk" (how fitting ;)). Difficulty for everything was not hard, take your time and read through all of the plenty info found on this site which helped guide me. hope this helps.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 9.30.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 9.30.10 PM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 455
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 9.30.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 9.30.27 PM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 332
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 9.31.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 9.31.44 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 332
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 9.33.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 9.33.12 PM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 485
Update to system:

I decided to move on from the 12inch sub box as I felt I needed the trunk space.

I purchased a Polk DB DVC 10inch Marine grade sub ($~100) (with water sliding off the rear window after opening the trunk after a rain fall, I felt this was necessary). I bought 3/4inch MDF ($15) and cut it to match the existing sub trunk cover for an infinite baffle setup. Cutting everything was easy with a sawzall. The result was amazing as it sounds as good, possibly better than the 12inch in a box. Was well worth the time to gain my trunk space back - very easy to do. I have a sub grill on order to protect it as it’s in the middle of the mdf. I just need to spend time cleaning up the wire configuration and mounting the amp and line out converter. Also, I added Noico sound deadening mat (80mil) and it appears to improved the bass resonance even further. Will probably add black carpet so that it matches existing fabric for an oem look.

FFE8B9C1-BB94-4ED7-AEF0-9E9D8BF8A5F3.jpeg