Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 AWD LR Non P Vbox run(S)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m concerned it will be Winter again before I get this update. Come on Tesla! lol

37DA43D3-9EB6-4C72-9D66-9EDAD6BD98D1.jpeg

Add an impact driver to your tool kit/gift list if you don’t have one.
Yes. It is on the list. Oh it is on the list, and it's coming....some day. I do have a birthday coming up, perhaps a "hint drop" is in order. :) I think it has a better shot of getting fulfilled than an a metrics system, like an ApexPRO or Harrys with an external GPS. Much easier to grasp what it is and why I'd want it.

Currently when I go to the local track as a guest of a member I have access to their impact tools, and that's so nice when doing the change away from home.

Thanks for the recommend.

P.S. I also need to get some aftermarket bolts. With as much as I'm changing them, even though I'm careful, the factory bolts aren't really intended for this kind of use.

Okay here are my results in my AWD with the 5% boost. I was out just doing a few Dragy runs in a new location closer to where I live and got my best times yet on 5.15. Came home and by chance the 8.4 update came in so I charged back up then went out to the same spot a few hours later and did a few more runs with it. Got new best times in everything; 0-60 was very marginal, 1/4 mile was two tenths better than my previous best since Jan. It was 46F out when doing these so perhaps it's *possible* I could break sub 4 0-60 (rollout), 7's for 1/8th mile and 12's for 1/4 mile on future runs in warmer temps. 1/4 mile should be better but I need to just test it proper at the track. I'm stock, 18" w/ aero's on MXM4's. SoC around 90% before and after. Hope this is helpful to some people.

4.28 -> 4.26 (0.02 ∆)
8.14 -> 8.08 (0.06 ∆)
13.25 -> 13.05 (0.2 ∆)

Screenshot_20190402-034425.png
Screenshot_20190402-034557.png
Screenshot_20190402-035318.png

Last edited:
Thank you for this.

Looks like you got out of it before the 1/4 mile was up as your mph dropped by a lot. I was under the impression these things run in the 12s easily even before the update.

Also, nice to see someone else throw down the 0-60 in 4.0. Now I know for sure my Vbox isn't broken. lol

So any tricks to getting the update? I heard if you pour maple syrup in the seam between the two glass roof panels that the update comes almost immediately.

huh... 0-60 is very good, the 1/4 mile is pretty terrible and yeah looks like he let off well before the end

Thank you for this.

Looks like you got out of it before the 1/4 mile was up as your mph dropped by a lot. I was under the impression these things run in the 12s easily even before the update.

Also, nice to see someone else throw down the 0-60 in 4.0. Now I know for sure my Vbox isn't broken. lol

So any tricks to getting the update? I heard if you pour maple syrup in the seam between the two glass roof panels that the update comes almost immediately.

Yeah, trap speed for 1/4 mile should be in like the 110 range, and well into the mid-high 12s at least for the AWD.

12.678 seconds at 110.56 mph is the one well known youtube run vs a RWD at a 1/4 mile track for the AWD last year

Last edited:
New wheels/tires went on last night as I still wait for the update. They are the 19” TSS Flows wrapped in PS4S. On my scale they are 47.8lbs as compared to the 18” aero with Scottozero Winter tires at 46lbs. The gain in weight was an unexpected disappointment but it’s the true definition of a first world problem so no biggie I’ll get over it. They’re also very slightly taller.

I took the car out and only had time for 3 runs, was at 95% SOC and not fully heated yet. Ran a best of 4.04 to 60. I’m sure given a little more time to warm I could have hit that 3.9x again. So let’s just go with it’s a negligible difference with the new wheels. Once the new software comes I’ll test again, and then again in the Fall when the Winter set go back on.

Here’s hoping for the update some time today.

Best,
Gene :cheers:

923ED95E-7A98-49A2-90EF-1AF9E537C227.jpeg
CD889483-C1C8-4138-8114-5313A7C53B52.jpeg
51C9C5B5-7077-4A05-B099-C4420321FC22.jpeg

New wheels/tires went on last night as I still wait for the update. They are the 19” TSS Flows wrapped in PS4S. On my scale they are 47.8lbs as compared to the 18” aero with Scottozero Winter tires at 46lbs. The gain in weight was an unexpected disappointment but it’s the true definition of a first world problem so no biggie I’ll get over it. They’re also very slightly taller.

I took the car out and only had time for 3 runs, was at 95% SOC and not fully heated yet. Ran a best of 4.04 to 60. I’m sure given a little more time to warm I could have hit that 3.9x again. So let’s just go with it’s a negligible difference with the new wheels. Once the new software comes I’ll test again, and then again in the Fall when the Winter set go back on.

Here’s hoping for the update some time today.

Best,
Gene :cheers:

View attachment 393080 View attachment 393081 View attachment 393082

The increased diameter is going to hurt your 0-60 times (very very slightly). This is because you will have less force applied to the pavement for a given torque. T = F*d, so F = T/d. And F determines your acceleration.

All else being equal, you should expect about 0.3% slower 0-44 times with these wheels (that is the diameter difference). However, 0-60 maybe won't be quite that bad, because you will be able to hold that high torque for slightly (0.3%) longer (due to the motor not spinning quite as fast for a given vehicle speed). And your HP peak will hold on for 0.3% longer. Anyway I expect close to 0.3% on 0-60.

So in short I would not expect to get back to your prior times. However, it's only a 13ms (0.013s) increase for a 4.3s run. So you likely will not notice!

(2*235*0.4+19*25.4)/(2*235*0.45+18*25.4) = 1.0028.

It's even worse for us poor Performance owners, though! Our wheels are 0.57% larger diameter!

Thank you Alan! Yeah that's why I pointed out the height difference. When I used to take my Corvette's drag racing I'd use the smallest wheels I could fit over the brakes. See here. When I eventually get a P3 to park next to this AWD I'll do better research on the wheel and tire setup. At least they look well enough and the software update should at least compensate for the weight and diameter change. If I take it to the strip I'll throw the Winters on. :)

Tesla! Software update...Please! As much as I love being one of the 8% on 5.15 I'm ready to move on! lol

Best,
Gene

What kind of tires do you have? I have the 19in tires w/ the original all seasons. I can only get 0-60 in 4.5

The numbers being quoted here (4.0 before the software update for AWD) remove the rollout. With it (if you look at VBOX data on page 2) it’s more like 4.2 or 4.3 for AWD, old software.

However, I do wonder about variations between AWD (and P3D) vehicles. That being said, you have to be sure you have no extra weight in your car, >90% SoC, warm battery, turn off cabin heat and any other accessories, have maybe slightly below recommended tire pressure (to reduce effective radius), to give yourself a good run. Basically do everything to make sure the run is fast. And you really should stomp that accelerator. If you are a larger driver, that will also slow you down, possibly not insignificantly if you are comparing yourself to a 150lb driver. (100 extra pounds might slow you down by 0.1 seconds or so.). Personally I make sure I am at the end of my 16-hour fast and have visited the bathroom. ;) Cheaper than lighter wheels.

* Your tire type will not make any difference (unless they have a different effective radius). There are no traction issues with any of the original tires. The weight of the wheels & tires will make potentially very small differences (similar to the driver weight) - maybe 50ms if you go with an ultralight wheel/tire combo - but no more than that.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: byeLT4
If you are a larger driver, that will also slow you down, possibly not insignificantly if you are comparing yourself to a 150lb driver.

Have you been looking at my bathroom scale again? :)

Yes, everything Alan said. I take the car seat out, wash the dirt off, empty the back bumper, blow my nose, poop, drive naked, cut my hair, rub on.....I should probably stop here.

But seriously though. You have to kind of "prep" for the run and not just randomly pull up the newest acceleration app with a friend in the car.

Best,
Gene

According to Teslafi I’m one of just 2% still on 5.15. Must be some practical joke. As soon as I get the update I’ll make new measurements.
Only thing it can be is they hate you. I'm on second upgrade post-5.15. First 8.3 and now 8.5. :p

Or maybe there's an issue with your WiFi connection? My understanding is that eventually it'll download via cell modem but will delay that hoping to get it via WiFi.

Reactions: phantasms
Only thing it can be is they hate you. I'm on second upgrade post-5.15. First 8.3 and now 8.5. :p

Or maybe there's an issue with your WiFi connection? My understanding is that eventually it'll download via cell modem but will delay that hoping to get it via WiFi.

Yeah. My car got the update on Thursday (though I have not installed it) after I fiddled with the wireless settings and reconnected to the home network (even though it was connected before and there is an access point in the garage). Could have been just a coincidence, but no way to know.

Maybe tomorrow I will do a before and after.

Reactions: phantasms