Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 AWD LR Non P Vbox run(S)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally got back out tonight. It’s been cold and rainy here every single day that I’ve had any time. The ground was slightly wet in places and it was chilly. I did find a nice dry spot and got a few runs in with the Dragy that was lent to me [Thanks!]. This was 94%SOC but the car wasn’t warmed up yet as there were many dots left on the regen side. It’s a good time and I’m happy with it but I’ll try again once the warmth returns which will hopefully be soon!

3.97 0-60 with the 1 foot roll out.

More to come!

Best,
Gene

D1EE4663-D8CC-4B9D-9258-6A9EA55DE4CC.png

I'm curious about your setup. What tires are you using? Do you do any prep (e.g. remove anything from the car?)? Those are some smoking numbers!
@phantasms I'm curious about your setup. What tires are you using? Do you do any prep (e.g. remove anything from the car?)? Those are some smoking numbers!
Just so you know, better tires will not effect 0-60 in the AWD model. The car is not traction limited. The 18 primacy tires get the same 0-60 times as the Pilot sport 4s

Do you like Vbox or Dragy better?

Depends. If I was an iMovie guy I'd like Dragy better. I'm an Adobe Premier guy so I prefer the Vbox as it gives more data. BUT I think for most people Dragy is the better buy over the Vbox Sport. Also, the antenna on the Dragy us much better. With my Vbox I have to attach the antenna to the trunk. The Dragy seems to work great with the antenna just about anywhere.

@phantasms I'm curious about your setup. What tires are you using? Do you do any prep (e.g. remove anything from the car?)? Those are some smoking numbers!
Just so you know, better tires will not effect 0-60 in the AWD model. The car is not traction limited. The 18 primacy tires get the same 0-60 times as the Pilot sport 4s

I'm running aftermarket 19" TSS Flowforged wheels with Pilot 4S in stock sizes. Funny thing is this wheel/tire setup slowed me down ever so slightly from the 18" Aeros on Scottozeros. The 19s looks nice but the 18s are the faster setup, and I love how they look too. Whatever time I get in the next few weeks is certain to be beat when I install the 18s in the Winter. It's a very small performance difference, but it's there. For the runs I take all the nonessentials out of the car, child seat, nonsense in trunk..etc but I'm not removing anything of substance or adding lightness by removing seats or any sorcery like that.

Just to be clear to everyone, I'm sure people saw it in the photo, the 3.97 does not include the 1 foot rollout which is the standard metric for this type of test. Including that foot puts the car at 4.21. But again, I'm certain I can beat that time soon and then moreso in the Winter.

MagnusMako again thanks for the Dragy lend.

Best,
Gene

Well, then that makes mine a Unicorn too. :) Maybe we secretly have P motors (I have heard they've used them on non-P cars).

Everybody got P motors up through at least the end of 2018. This was repeatedly confirmed by both the Tesla parts catalog and people physically getting under cars and taking pics of part numbers. The quicker 0-60 of the P is entirely a software difference, not hardware.

Same is true on the P- the model 3 is not traction limited on any version even with all-seasons.

Everybody got P motors up through at least the end of 2018. This was repeatedly confirmed by both the Tesla parts catalog and people physically getting under cars and taking pics of part numbers.
It's my understanding, based on these comments, that both AWD and P drive units are the same part number but they are serialized for assembly binning. Therefore test results, captured on an individual unit basis, would dictate how the DUs get assigned to a particular car configuration (SR, LR, AWD, P).

It's my understanding, based on these comments, that both AWD and P drive units are the same part number but they are serialized for assembly binning. Therefore test results, captured on an individual unit basis, would dictate how the DUs get assigned to a particular car configuration (SR, LR, AWD, P).

Good luck with this argument with @Knightshade. ;)

He thinks it is impractical to track by serial number. Or at least that I think is the gist of it, I am sure he will say exactly what his position is. Yet there are many ways in which Tesla behaves seemingly irrationally.

Though it appears @GigaGrunt may have inside info.

Personally my motor seems to be a dog. Power limits at 92% SoC except in track mode last I checked. I should stress test it to see if I can break it.

He thinks it is impractical to track by serial number. Or at least that I think is the gist of it, I am sure he will say exactly what his position is. Yet there are many ways in which Tesla behaves seemingly irrationally.
Tracking by serial number is the point. I learned in this video (scroll to 6:15) that the robots take a picture of each fastener they install. Tracking DUs is child's play compared to tracking robot success rate on a individual fastener basis.

Good luck with this argument with @Knightshade. ;)

Not just impractical- but stupid. It provides 0 benefit of any kind versus having 2 PNs, and causes significantly more work in supply chain, manufacturing, and replacement parts and repairs.

It's my understanding, based on these comments, that both AWD and P drive units are the same part number but they are serialized for assembly binning.

Those comments appear to be him simply repeating that Elon tweetings about binning a long time ago and nobody every found any actual evidence for it.

I
Therefore test results, captured on an individual unit basis, would dictate how the DUs get assigned to a particular car configuration (SR, LR, AWD, P).

This again makes everything harder for 0 apparent benefit...especially when it's time to repair a car... "Hey we need to order DU part number 12345, and it ALSO needs to have the not-even-visible-in-the-parts-ordering-catalog magic serial # for a P model"

This means you have to do extra work any time you order a part, and the folks filling the order do extra work too- all for no upside, and it gets even worse if you have SCs keeping parts in stock on shelves, where the PN is the obvious visible way to tell them apart.

See also the numerous folks who had AWD cars delivered that were then software flashed to Ps (since that's what they originally ordered but not what was delivered to them), did all of them just get "lucky" enough to have gotten P SN DUs too?

This means you have to do extra work any time you order a part, and the folks filling the order do extra work too- all for no upside, and it gets even worse if you have SCs keeping parts in stock on shelves, where the PN is the obvious visible way to tell them apart.

To be clear, I don't know what the true situation is, you might be right about this whole situation, though it does fly in the face of what Elon tweeted.

What is funny, though, is that Tesla does things all the time that require extra work...for example, not having spoilers and badges installed at the factory. I'm sure there are several other nonsensical things that Tesla has done that I'm not thinking of right now. So it does not seem entirely outside of the "Tesla Way" to do all this extra work.

I'm also not sure I agree on the "no upside". They don't seem to be able to determine in advance of building the motor what the motor output will be. They just have to build motors and test them, and they get what they get in terms of ones that are P-spec compliant, and ones that are not. Say they ended up with 50%/50% yield (above/below P-spec).
If that were the case, and they assigned a different part number for P-spec compliant motors, they'd have a problem with a surplus of P motors, since the product mix is skewed more to AWD. For inventory, they have to label them at some point...they can't just sit around unlabelled and then label it when it's time to go in a car (maybe they can (my motor has no label!...and is also apparently a dog), but it seems confusing and they'd have to keep track of the test results...by serial number?). So seems like they may as well just slap the same label on everything and then track the serial number. And then only P-spec serial numbers go in P-spec cars, while either type of serial number can go in AWD cars.

Like I said, I have no idea. I don't have strong opinions on this and I certainly see your side of the argument. As you know, I'm aware of the thread on the motor labeling and I got people to take pictures... I can just think of various ways in which they could have arrived at this odd state of affairs (which Elon claims is the case - "binned for high output" and "double the burn in"). Not that I believe everything Elon says.

Reactions: byeLT4
Everybody got P motors up through at least the end of 2018. This was repeatedly confirmed by both the Tesla parts catalog and people physically getting under cars and taking pics of part numbers. The quicker 0-60 of the P is entirely a software difference, not hardware.

Same is true on the P- the model 3 is not traction limited on any version even with all-seasons.

I was half joking. My point is that not everyone is getting the same numbers myself and phantasms are.

Reactions: SammichLover
To be clear, I don't know what the true situation is, you might be right about this whole situation, though it does fly in the face of what Elon tweeted.

It would hardly be the first time Elon tweeted something that turned out to be.... at most polite...exceedingly exaggerated.

What is funny, though, is that Tesla does things all the time that require extra work...for example, not having spoilers and badges installed at the factory. I'm sure there are several other nonsensical things that Tesla has done that I'm not thinking of right now. So it does not seem entirely outside of the "Tesla Way" to do all this extra work.

That's a supply issue though since they had a 3rd party making the spoilers and badges and weren't getting them in sufficient quantity/quality for a long time, so after-delivery install was the only option.

I'm also not sure I agree on the "no upside". They don't seem to be able to determine in advance of building the motor what the motor output will be. They just have to build motors and test them, and they get what they get in terms of ones that are P-spec compliant, and ones that are not. Say they ended up with 50%/50% yield (above/below P-spec).
If that were the case, and they assigned a different part number for P-spec compliant motors, they'd have a problem with a surplus of P motors, since the product mix is skewed more to AWD.

They really wouldn't though- since they could always just use extra P-spec PN motors for AWD cars if there's a surplus.

Which, allegedly, they already do anyway right?

But it also means having a different PN makes it simple to handle replacement parts in the future without needing a secondary, secret, provides-0-benefit system for doing so.

For inventory, they have to label them at some point...they can't just sit around unlabelled and then label it when it's time to go in a car (maybe they can (my motor has no label!...and is also apparently a dog), but it seems confusing and they'd have to keep track of the test results...by serial number?). So seems like they may as well just slap the same label on everything and then track the serial number.

...why?

Instead they just slap on the PN for P motors on those that passed P testing, and the PN for AWD/RWD motors on those that do not.

Doing anything by serial is more work, harder to deal with, and doesn't help in any way.

And then only P-spec serial numbers go in P-spec cars, while either type of serial number can go in AWD cars.

Now sub "part number" for serial # and that remains true, without adding a second, totally pointless, level of abstraction.

Serial # can be useful info if, say, you realize you had a defective setting on your assembly line between dates X and Y, or a bad batch of capacitors or something between some dates, to figure out which parts might have a problem later.

it's a crap way to do supply chain/repair/replacement part tracking though. Worse in every way and for no benefit.

(by all means if there IS some benefit you can't already get just using PNs for this stuff- let me know- but we've been debating this for a long time now and nobody's come up with any)