Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 AWD Non-perf thinks it's perf??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand this 'Stealth' version. I can't simply order a stealth, right? Do I have to find one in inventory? There's zero inventory near me right now. :D
Stealth are performance model 3s without the performance brakes, spoiler, and 20 inch wheels. The 20 inch wheels, performance brakes, and spoilers were originally an additional upgrade on top of the performance model, Tesla later made these standard on the performance model.

Reactions: Spacep0d
Stealth are performance model 3s without the performance brakes, spoiler, and 20 inch wheels. The 20 inch wheels, performance brakes, and spoilers were originally an additional upgrade on top of the performance model, Tesla later made these standard on the performance model.

Ah, thanks! Yeah I would love a performance model but yeesh I think I gotta think about my total cost too. If I put 20-25k down (my planned down payment), could I reasonably afford an M3P? Maybe I could. I would need to see the rate and payment numbers. :D

I used this calculator here with Tesla's stated price of just under $57.000. I know it's a bit more than that OTD with taxes and fees.

https://www.cars.com/car-loan-calculator/

Anyone know how much a Model 3P is out the door?

Last edited:
Ah, thanks! Yeah I would love a performance model but yeesh I think I gotta think about my total cost too. If I put 20-25k down (my planned down payment), could I reasonably afford an M3P? Maybe I could. I would need to see the rate and payment numbers. :D

my total sticker price on my Performance Stealth was $52k (without tax/license fees) if you can find a Stealth, you “should” be closer to a LR AWD Model in price.

Reactions: Spacep0d
my total sticker price on my Performance Stealth was $52k (without tax/license fees) if you can find a Stealth, you “should” be closer to a LR AWD Model in price.

Nice, that's about what I was figuring I'd pay (working cost of 50k, but that's OTD for LR AWD). The part I'm not keen about is 'finding' the Stealth model. How do you do that? Do you just call the Tesla SC nearby and ask to be pinged if they find one? Is there a way to be put on a list?

I also don't mind the non-stealth Performance but yes it's a good bit more money. :D

Nice, that's about what I was figuring I'd pay (working cost of 50k, but that's OTD for LR AWD). The part I'm not keen about is 'finding' the Stealth model. How do you do that? Do you just call the Tesla SC nearby and ask to be pinged if they find one? Is there a way to be put on a list?

I also don't mind the non-stealth Performance but yes it's a good bit more money. :D

I called the SC and looking for a LR AWD and my sales guy said he had one and asked if I was interested, but it sounds like you can call your local SC and ask them if they have one, or can get one. I am in Seattle, and mine was in California so they shipped it up here.

Whats the 8th digit of your VIN? If it's a 4 then its a performance model. You can decode your VIN here.
VIN Decoder | TeslaTap

I think the 8th digit of the VIN for a stealth is a C”. Thats what my stealth has. If you have a stealth, be happy. Don’t rub it in anyone’s face at Tesla, but they will know it when they service your car. What they won’t look at is your sales contract - so just enjoy.

What I find curious is how Tesla sold a LR AWD and gave the customer a stealth instead? You can confirm all this if there is a “C” in position 8 of the Vin.

I think the 8th digit of the VIN for a stealth is a C”. Thats what my stealth has. If you have a stealth, be happy. Don’t rub it in anyone’s face at Tesla, but they will know it when they service your car. What they won’t look at is your sales contract - so just enjoy.

What I find curious is how Tesla sold a LR AWD and gave the customer a stealth instead? You can confirm all this if there is a “C” in position 8 of the Vin.

I have a Stealth with a B in the 8th position....

Hello,
My Sept 2018 M3 AWD Non-perf shows the performance red underline in the mobile app and in car display. I noticed when I took delivery and the salesperson said they'd ask (never heard back). It didn't seem a big deal until the acceleration boost option became available. I don't have the option available on-line or any "upgrades" in the mobile app. I emailed Tesla support but didn't hear back.

Last year before the 5% boost updates, I hand-timed 0-60 at 3.95. Any ideas to tell if I have the non-perf software limits (aside from a dyno run)? I don't need this car to go any faster, just curious.

Any other dual motor M3's have this issue?

aside: is track mode normally available for non-perf? It's available on mine.

You can also double check your Order Agreement in your Tesla account...

‘Manage > View Details > Order Agreement’ it should show the config you paid for. I would be curious if they mention performance. This is what my stealth Order Agreement looked like....

CD92DA16-0E94-466D-B096-FB0E9C32F293.png

I used this calculator here with Tesla's stated price of just under $57.000. I know it's a bit more than that OTD with taxes and fees.

https://www.cars.com/car-loan-calculator/

Anyone know how much a Model 3P is out the door?
He forgot to mention that the PUP (P3D+) also has upgraded suspension.

All I know is that the position 8 digit for a stealth is not the same as you will find in a P3D+

Not sure whether this is what you meant to say, but it is my understanding (though I do not know for sure) that Performance vehicles for 2020 (Stealth or not!) have a C in the 8th position. Can do a search here for “C VIN” to find all the posts with the info if you want to be sure. Before 2020 (2019/2018) they were all B, AWD and P.

@JP123 If you get a chance, could you check and see what rear motor number you have? If it is a true Stealth Performance, it'll have a 980 rear motor. If it's a LR AWD that has performance software, you'll see a 990 rear motor.

You can easily see the big 980 or 990 numbers by taking a flashlight, and looking back behind the driver side rear tire at the motor. You'll see a big plate on the motor with the numbers on it.

If you have a 980 rear motor, you truly have a Stealth Performance. If you have a 990 rear motor, someone messed up and put performance software on a LR AWD. At least, that's conventional wisdom at this point, as we have never seen a Model 3 Performance (Stealth or otherwise) with 990 motors.