Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 AWD Non-perf thinks it's perf??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@JP123 If you get a chance, could you check and see what rear motor number you have? If it is a true Stealth Performance, it'll have a 980 rear motor. If it's a LR AWD that has performance software, you'll see a 990 rear motor.

You can easily see the big 980 or 990 numbers by taking a flashlight, and looking back behind the driver side rear tire at the motor. You'll see a big plate on the motor with the numbers on it.

If you have a 980 rear motor, you truly have a Stealth Performance. If you have a 990 rear motor, someone messed up and put performance software on a LR AWD. At least, that's conventional wisdom at this point, as we have never seen a Model 3 Performance (Stealth or otherwise) with 990 motors.
Do you have an example of where to find this exactly? I am curious as to which one my car is, but wasn’t seeing anything behind the rear drivers side tire...

Do you have an example of where to find this exactly? I am curious as to which one my car is, but wasn’t seeing anything behind the rear drivers side tire...
There's an old thread with some pictures in it... I'll try to dig it up and post it here.

From directly behind the tire, start moving the light toward the center of the car. You'll see the big motor with the plate on it.

Reactions: Kennymb5384
Don’t know, somewhere early 2019. @Knightshade might know or there is a thread on motors here somewhere

I know we saw a 980 in an LR AWD at least as late as May 2019 in the US (IIRC there were european ones showing up months earlier with 990s though)... though the data in the motor thread is just a small % of owners self-reporting so there might well have been later 980 ones.

And we know even months after there would be cars "sold" as P3D- vehicles that upon delivery were just LR AWD with a 980 and the owner when pointing this out got it flashed (sometimes at the SC on the spot, sometimes days later via OTA) to the P software.

I'm not aware of any 990 car (all of which I know of being delivered at LR AWD) being flashed to P (and a reasonable amount of evidence suggesting the 990 motor can't handle P output)

There's an old thread with some pictures in it... I'll try to dig it up and post it here.

From directly behind the tire, start moving the light toward the center of the car. You'll see the big motor with the plate on it.
@Kennymb5384 Here's a link to a post that has a picture of the plate that sits on top of the motor.

Still looking for the thread that has the other pictures in it...

Edit: Here's another post that shows a bit better how far along the axle (how far away from the tire) you have to look to see it.
thank you!

Ah, yeah - I doubt they would do that, but you never know.
I’m short on specifics here, but Tesla rolled out the SR+ way before the SR, which was just a software limited SR+. Many buyers paid for the SR, but received un-limited SR+. Many months later, some complained that the extra range was taken away. Tesla is pretty busy... so things don’t always get reconciled promptly. don’t be disappointed if you get ‘downgraded’ to what you paid for many months later. I hope this is a permanent windfall for you, but don’t count on it.

2019 Performance Stealth...looks like 980
F4F9D418-8EB0-4477-9F44-2F51662FC5F4.png

Reactions: Phlier
Wish they would just stop messin around and allow an uncork for the 980 LR AWDs...

Charge another $2k...or don’t...but just dew it!
I suspect they fear the blowback from tens of thousands with 990 DU who purchased simultaneously and arbitrarily were delivered a car that is not capable of that power.

they've offered a boost that is presumably all that 990 is capable of. It’s really not that far off P performance.

• Disagree
Reactions: SdpLV
I suspect they fear the blowback from tens of thousands with 990 DU who purchased simultaneously and arbitrarily were delivered a car that is not capable of that power.

they've offered a boost that is presumably all that 990 is capable of. It’s really not that far off P performance.

Should uncork to full potential like they did the Model S. They’re charging for it anyways. Might as well put the best vehicles out if they can do so safely.

Reactions: yerEVan
Should uncork to full potential like they did the Model S. They’re charging for it anyways. Might as well put the best vehicles out if they can do so safely.
Disagree. Different situation. When new capability starts on a specific mfg date, you can do that. When you make 980 and 990 side by side and sell both as LR for years simultaneously, you should not. It is not equitable.

• Disagree
Reactions: anti and SdpLV
Disagree. Different situation. When new capability starts on a specific mfg date, you can do that. When you make 980 and 990 side by side and sell both as LR for years simultaneously, you should not. It is not equitable.

Glad you mention the side by side aspect...and what is more equitable than an actual $ value:

LR AWD + $2k after purchase gives you “Boost” but then if someone had known, and ordered LR AWD + $2k up front then its a Stealth version which is faster. Yet, they didn’t advertise this at all. You had to somehow be informed or told that it’s an option.

Both being sold “side by side” for years... which is your claim regarding if something should be considered “equitable”.

Disagree with yourself or agreeing with me?

It's unusual that a thread discussing stealth performance cars has made it to three pages before devolving into a "They should uncork all 980 LR AWD cars" vs. "They shouldn't uncork all 980 LR AWD cars" argument.

This is another one of those subjects that needs a Master Thread.

Tesla just acknowledged it too with the latest sales model. It was only a matter of time till this occurred. It was kind of bogus to have a secret upgrade option, as if we’re ordering a taco with special sauce.

They just turned the $2k “stealth” upgrade into a full on upgrade option, same cost as Performance...