Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 AWD vs M3 AWD P 0-60 times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm holding out for a Model 3 AWD and possibly considering a P model depending on price so I've been doing a lot of speculating recently: When it comes to the front motor design Tesla has two options: Use the same motor powering the rear wheels up front in the M3 or leverage the small motor used today in the Model S. One reason they might use the Model S motor is that it should be more efficient at highway speeds than the permanent magnet motor design used in the M3. The M3 rear motor is rated at 192KW, while the Model S small motor is rated at 185kw. So let's assume the worst case, motors would be able to support a combined 377KW. This is practically the same power output of a Model S90D which can achieve a 4s 0-60 time.

Some quick back of the napkin math shows that the M3 AWD, with it's lower curb weight and with the same power output as a Model S D should approach P85D performance by it's self.

This leads me to believe that the Model 3 AWD vs Model 3 AWD P may only differ in software (corked vs not corked) and higher expected warranty liability costs.

See here: Calculator: 0-60 mph
For both configurations use: Drive Type: AWD, Transmission: Dual Clutch, HP: 505 (377KW)

1. Model S90D: Weight: 4800LB, 0-60: 4.08s
2. Model 3 AWD: Weight: 4000LB, 0-60 3.5s

Bottom line I think Model 3 AWD will be limited to a 4.2s 0-60 (And we might see a further bump in Model S specs) and the Model 3 P AWD will clock in at 3.5S. Notably the Model S100D has recently been clocked at 3.5-3.6 0-60 in real life despite the current 4.2s sandbagging from Tesla's official stats.

What are your thoughts on the performance differences we'll see between the AWD models?

Reactions: gjunky
I think its safe to say at this stage that the performance 3 won't see 0-60 times any faster than the 3s. It doesn't impede on the performance S speed and is competitive to other comparable cars in its segment. I don't see the regular Model 3 AWD version going any faster than current Model S 75D/100D configurations.

Basically I agree with you. :)

Tesla has two options: Use the same motor powering the rear wheels up front in the M3 or leverage the small motor used today in the Model S.
There is a third option. Another, yet-unseen motor that's a modest down step from the M3 rear motor [but uses the same permanent magnet build] for the standard AWD. Potentially a stepped down rear for the AWD, too, and the regular RWD motor for the P AWD model.

We do already have a very good idea about the maximum size, and shape, of the front motor assembly for the M3 D variants. From looking underneath it's obvious that the RWD cars are being built with everything already there to mount the front engine, right down to the channels to run the extra high amp/voltage cabling and the bolt points for the assembly to attach to the frame. EDIT: Although they need to somewhat alter the suspension because the struts as they are in the front are in the way for a driveshaft from the transaxle to the wheels.

Anyone with experience handling the past motor assemblies, or with knowledge of the dimensions, want to chime in on that?

P.S. I'd find it kinda odd for Tesla to go through all that work to develop new motor tech and then not use it on both axels. *shrug*

Last edited:
You are the second person to mention this. Any source for it?

From the man himself! (key words being: "or so")
Screen Shot 2018-02-17 at 4.15.40 PM.png

Reactions: gjunky
Is the biggest reason people get Dual motors in places like Florida where there is no need for all wheel drive, the extra speed?
As one of those people I have four reasons:
-air suspension;
-expected increased range;
-greater stability and control in inclement weather;
-probable quickness (I'll probably buy a P if available, thus lose some of that range)

Reactions: ℬête Noire
Aren't we about due for details on the AWD model? Other than Elon's tweet and it having been on the options list, there have been no details at all. Price? Performance? Air suspension details? Range? It be nice to actually know if my choice to wait for AWD is even logistically sound for my situation. How are we supposed to make decisions based on almost no data?

I'd love to see some details on the P version, too. It would be nice to have something to help decide before my # comes up for first production (Mar-May). I suppose I'll end up waiting if nothing is forthcoming. What does everyone think for timeframe on the P version? Shortly after AWD (say 3 months), at the same time, 6+ months later, never?

Reactions: preilly44
No-one has yet mentioned that the discharge rate of the battery pack might be the performance limitation.. What performance does P85 combined motor power with the weight of a LR model 3 +300lbs give in terms of 0-60time?

My original post addressed this: given the Model 3s lower weight it would theoretically be able to hit 3.5s 0-60 with the same power output of a non performance model dual motor Model S