Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 battery charging routines!

So...what is your charging routine for your NEW M3 on a daily or weekly basis?

• 80%

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • 90%

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just wondering what do you NEW M3 owner's charge your NEW M3 too?

Been reading so much stuff on the forums about battery charging and I'm planning on taking the 30%-80% route.

Plug in at 30% with 20% as the lowest limit and charging back to 80%.

Reactions: Akikiki
So today was my first day that I had charge fright! The wife used our P3D+ to go to work. She left with 90 miles of range, but with the regular craziness of cross town Honolulu Friday traffic, I really had that RARE case of range anxiety knowing that our "Manu o Ku" was down on power. They both arrived home safe and sound, with 20% charge left! Perfect!
Plug in, recharge and let's get ready for a great weekend!
Aloha

Reactions: nanimac
When we picked our M3 up at the dealer they said its recommended to charge it to 90%. Which gives us 292 miles of range, and we charge overnight. My wife drives 70miles a day so I figured it would work out.

That's what they say, but on any given day we drive maybe 35 miles max. We try to avoid Honolulu cross town traffic as much as possible. But from the many articles posted on the internet, I'm going to try this routine with a 100% charge at the end of April to see where the battery charging system reports for my battery status.

Reactions: Joe G
I have this attached to my electrical panel;

Sense: Track energy use in real time

And today it recognized my charging outlet and now I'm able to track my delivered charge to my P3D+

And on top of that, I've modified my charging routine. Reset max charge level to 75%, and will begin overnight charging in the coming days. Will report my findings on the coming months.

How do you like your Sense so far? Do you think it's accurate? From what I've read online, it's pretty amazing how it can detect what's being used. How much and who did you use to install it, if you don't mind a referral?

Last edited:
I have this attached to my electrical panel;

Sense: Track energy use in real time

And today it recognized my charging outlet and now I'm able to track my delivered charge to my P3D+

And on top of that, I've modified my charging routine. Reset max charge level to 75%, and will begin overnight charging in the coming days. Will report my findings on the coming months.
That looks very cool. I will investigate. Thanks very much.

I have 8 solar panels to help out with the ol electrical bill. Wouldn't it be better for me to charge during the day when it's producing power Or.. Does my solar just go into the grid to lower my bill? Heh, I didn't even think about how it works . . .

I have 8 solar panels to help out with the ol electrical bill. Wouldn't it be better for me to charge during the day when it's producing power Or.. Does my solar just go into the grid to lower my bill? Heh, I didn't even think about how it works . . .
It is better to plug in during the day because the dollar credit per KWh they give you is less than you pay per KWh used.

Reactions: Copterguy
We can't answer your question with a yes or no or daylight or night. You need to tell us more. Are you on NEM, NEM+, Grid-Supply or Self-Supply? Since you have not had your Tesla as long as some of us, I would guess you are not on the HECO EV program where the per kW is cheaper after 9 p.m.?

Even if we know the answers to all the questions, I believe you need to talk to HECO directly and find out how your PV helps and how charging your EV impacts your bill and if there are programs or rates you can sign up for with them.