Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 been in bodyshop for 5+ months - both batteries dead

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who needs cables. Nicola Tesla had a solution for wirelessly transmitting electricity around the world… shame Wardencliffe was dismantled as, who knows, the world may have been a very different place.

Sorry doesn’t help the OP though. I think that transatlantic ship of a low voltage has sailed. Hopefully car has permanently disconnected HV to protect it but still wouldn’t like to be in the OPs position even if the low voltage is replaced, as it should be at very least.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSP
Who needs cables. Nicola Tesla had a solution for wirelessly transmitting electricity around the world… shame Wardencliffe was dismantled as, who knows, the world may have been a very different place.

Sorry doesn’t help the OP though. I think that transatlantic ship of a low voltage has sailed. Hopefully car has permanently disconnected HV to protect it but still wouldn’t like to be in the OPs position even if the low voltage is replaced, as it should be at very least.

Interesting how just like the current Tesla, the original Tesla did some pretty cool stuff, but was also full of *sugar* and just plain wrong about other things! :)

As someone else said Enterprise won't be in a hurry as they are making on the 530e hire. If you know what bodyshop it's in see if they are part of a chain as there might be someone in a central department that you can complain to, if not just keep speaking to them. I'm surprised their communication is so bad but it's a busy time of year so things can go wrong.

Depending on the part you can have extended back order so it's not surprising but get how disappointing it is, again it's a bit shocking it's not communicated to you what's on back order. Where I work a VDA is supposed to contact you when the estimate is completed to discuss the repair as it also gives them a chance to highlight damage they don't view as part of the accident so there's less issue on collection and I can't think of any of our sites who wouldn't inform what part was on backorder but there are big variations in bodyshops.

Apologies. Tongue in cheek suggestion arising from trying to kick life into a dead Fitbit.
Apparently 24 hours in a freezer might reset the battery chemistry allowing a charge.
If it works, I’ll let you know. I’m not optimistic.

I doubt it will work for the OP and he has my sympathy. 5 months waiting is appalling on its own and allowing both batteries to die is unforgivable.
I would be onto my insurers CEO for some action.

Ok, back on topic. While none of us would ever want to leave an HV battery at 0%, I think it's basically an either/or here. My guess would be that either (at least one) cell has been deep discharged to the point where the BMS will effectively disable the battery for safety reasons, or it hasn't - in which case the battery is unlikely to have suffered significant damage. I don't think the in between state, where the battery kind of works but not very well, is very likely to happen. That is just an educated guess, though.

UPDATE: There's no update. Was promised a list of parts it needs for Wednesday/Thursday morning (and about 6 times before that) and still nothing. Emailed twice since then with no reply (they dont seem to pick up phones ever, Enterprise can barely get in touch sometimes). Complaint will be going to the insurer and lease company. It'll be 6 months this week since it was in the accident. I understand parts can take a while esp with shortages but 6 months is a joke.

• Informative
Reactions: Andrew_SE23 and GSP
UPDATE: There's no update. Was promised a list of parts it needs for Wednesday/Thursday morning (and about 6 times before that) and still nothing. Emailed twice since then with no reply (they dont seem to pick up phones ever, Enterprise can barely get in touch sometimes). Complaint will be going to the insurer and lease company. It'll be 6 months this week since it was in the accident. I understand parts can take a while esp with shortages but 6 months is a joke.
Good for you. Give ‘em hell!

This is really bad and i feel sorry you, i would say it's good it is a lease car that you can hand back after the two years is up. If it was my car, that i have bought outright and plan to keep long term, i would be really peed off.
One of the things Tesla make a big fuss about in the owner's manual is keeping the car plugged in when you can to avoid letting the battery get to a low charge level, sitting for that length of time with no charge is not going to do it any good.

Nah, not much to worry about. Quick back of the envelope calc I get you only need a conductor diameter of about 25" copper to stay about 5% volt drop, assuming a slow charge of only 10 A @ 120 V to keep the car alive. That's only about 17.5 million tons of copper, x2 for return leg, so only about 300 billion odd USD in raw copper plus a bit of insulation and stuff. Little bit pricey and difficult to install, but no probs, jobs a goodun.

:)
Found the guy that does contract work for local council projects! ;)

• Funny
Reactions: LiamPope
The Paintworks Bodyshop, in Thornliebank. Recent reviews don't seem to be glowing either.
Open a complaint with your insurers and if you haven't already, start a dated list/timeline of factual grievances, costs etc. and make your insurers and the lease company aware of these, in addition to the bodyshop. Keep a running tally, research the motor insurance processes that the FOS can initiate and get ready to start writing shitty letters if I were you. Clearly the car needs to go elsewhere.

Have you dropped by unannounced to said bodyshop to see if you can actually see the car by the way? That would be high on my list right now if I were in your shoes.

Also, just a long shot, but I would try contacting a service rep for parts at your local Tesla SC (or even better, ask the garage to forward proof to you that they have requested an allocation or have ordered parts to see if there is a hold up, contact email, or a case open there that might shed some light).

Last edited:
Just had a response. "Your wing is now here but we are waiting on brackets to come and these are needed to make sure that there is no gaps"

I don't feel so confident that I've sent 7/8 emails asking exactly what parts they were waiting on and for them to come back and say it was just a wing and some brackets. Complaint will still be going to insurer and lease company as it's a ridiculous amount of time just for that (if it is just that) and the way it's been handled..

Open a complaint with your insurers and if you haven't already, start a dated list/timeline of factual grievances, costs etc. and make your insurers and the lease company aware of these, in addition to the bodyshop. Keep a running tally, research the motor insurance processes that the FOS can initiate and get ready to start writing shitty letters if I were you. Clearly the car needs to go elsewhere.

Have you dropped by unannounced to said bodyshop to see if you can actually see the car by the way? That would be high on my list right now if I were in your shoes. 5 months + and with this kind of lack of communication and transparency, I would not be in the slightest bit surprised if your car wasn't even on-site, has sustained more damage or has had parts removed.

Thanks, will be doing this. Unfortunately can't drop by as they're 9-5 mon-fri and I work throughout that, but when the car had charge, I could see it was sitting inside their unit.

Hopefully this is the end of it, but I imagine it might be fun seeing how they handle both dead batteries.

Update that's not really an update, 9 months on and still no closer to getting it back. Both batteries have been dead for 4 months now. Got told it should have been ready on the 19th there but after multiple emails to them asking if it'll be ready and what's happening with it I'm getting no response now😂 I'm reckoning they can't get it started now. Enterprise don't seem to be bothered when I raised my concerns with them and just told me to keep on waiting for the garage, no doubt as they're happy to rake in more money for providing me a hire car (which total cost is now £14,000 and counting).

If it is parts that's actually made the wait so long, anyone know if I'm entitled to claim anything back from the lease company, as it's them that's provided a car that doesn't have spare parts readily available. Wish they'd just wrote the thing off at this point🥲

well as mentioned earlier you've been spending M3LR lease money on a (presumably used) 530e so I'd definitely raise with the lease company although I'd suggest its not their problem, its the insurance company?

I'd maybe contact a tesla approved bodyshop to find out likely lead times and see if you can move it - or escalate in as. many ways as possible

notes to tesla - if you're having trouble shifting your cars in recetn months, rather than lowering prices so much why don't you part some out so that the current fleet can be repaired in a reasonable period

Did you ever contact your insurer to chase this along? All of your replies state you are going to do that but you only ever mention the conversations with Enterprise. I doubt you will have any leg to stand on with your lease company, in fact all speaking to them will do is likely make them pay extra attention to condition when you hand the car back, unless of course it's is a salary sacrifice scheme with insurance included, it will be your insurance company who need to sort this out, I would be annoying them every day at this stage.

A car being in any bodyshop for 9 months is absolutely insane, even truly exotic cars are fixed quicker than that.

Out of interest when does your lease end?

Mine has been into Mitchell Inglis in Glasgow twice in 6 months for two accidents, forst one took 7 weeks last november for a new wing, bumper, wing mirror and two alloys. Was in last month again for a new bumper and bonnet and got it back within 9 days to my surprise. I'd maybe be seeing if i could get it in their as they kept in good contact throughout and they kept the car charged when it got low the first time it was in.