Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 been in bodyshop for 5+ months - both batteries dead

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update that's not really an update, 9 months on and still no closer to getting it back. Both batteries have been dead for 4 months now. Got told it should have been ready on the 19th there but after multiple emails to them asking if it'll be ready and what's happening with it I'm getting no response now😂 I'm reckoning they can't get it started now. Enterprise don't seem to be bothered when I raised my concerns with them and just told me to keep on waiting for the garage, no doubt as they're happy to rake in more money for providing me a hire car (which total cost is now £14,000 and counting).

If it is parts that's actually made the wait so long, anyone know if I'm entitled to claim anything back from the lease company, as it's them that's provided a car that doesn't have spare parts readily available. Wish they'd just wrote the thing off at this point🥲
At this point you need to start considering legal action in some form!!

Reactions: Cnixon
Did you ever contact your insurer to chase this along? All of your replies state you are going to do that but you only ever mention the conversations with Enterprise. I doubt you will have any leg to stand on with your lease company, in fact all speaking to them will do is likely make them pay extra attention to condition when you hand the car back, unless of course it's is a salary sacrifice scheme with insurance included, it will be your insurance company who need to sort this out, I would be annoying them every day at this stage.

A car being in any bodyshop for 9 months is absolutely insane, even truly exotic cars are fixed quicker than that.

Out of interest when does your lease end?
Ends in December. Will get onto insurance and discuss but stupidly decided not to previously as the garage had finally been giving me dates for the “final” parts they awaiting so held off. Worst part is my policy was close to £6000 last year 😂

What do you mean by this.....Worst part is my policy was close to £6000 last year 😂. I am seriously thinking you are easly fobbed off. Everyone is taking you for a ride. Its no use telling you what to do because I don't think you care....so why should we?

YOU NEED TO RIP YOUR INSURANCE A NEW AR$E H0LE.

YOUR BATTERY IS DEAD. YOU NEED TO TELL YOUR INSURANCE TO RAISE A NEW SEPARATE CLAIM AGAINST THE BODYSHOP IN QUESTION. IT HAS TO BE NEW

YOU NEED TO RAISE A COMPLAINT WITH YOUR INSURANCE. IT WON'T GET ANYWHERE BUT AFTER THEY FOB YOU OFF YOU CAN CONTACT THE INSURANCE OMBUDSMAN.

GET YOUR 1/2 HOUR FREE LEGAL ADVICE FROM ONE OF YOUR OTHER INSURANCES OR CITIZENS ADVICE

When you have done this come back here!

Update that's not really an update, 9 months on and still no closer to getting it back. Both batteries have been dead for 4 months now. Got told it should have been ready on the 19th there but after multiple emails to them asking if it'll be ready and what's happening with it I'm getting no response now😂 I'm reckoning they can't get it started now. Enterprise don't seem to be bothered when I raised my concerns with them and just told me to keep on waiting for the garage, no doubt as they're happy to rake in more money for providing me a hire car (which total cost is now £14,000 and counting).

If it is parts that's actually made the wait so long, anyone know if I'm entitled to claim anything back from the lease company, as it's them that's provided a car that doesn't have spare parts readily available. Wish they'd just wrote the thing off at this point🥲
You let another 3 months pass and still no movement and they never bothered to replace the 12V and plug in the car? Was it not made clear enough they could be on the hook for about $20k for a new battery pack if it gets damaged from negligence? Given they didn't even evaluate the car until 5-6 months in, I would say this is 100% on the body shop. That's months wasted unrelated to parts lead time.

I've been on US threads and it's not uncommon for shops to just put your car into storage to rack up storage fees and not bothering to make a list of parts to order them, so it's just senselessly waiting. When the owner actually gets proactive and either order the parts themselves or directly contacts Tesla to see how the parts order is going, suddenly things start moving, which showed it was the shop stringing them along. Have you tried getting the order numbers from the shop and make inquires with Tesla to make sure parts are in progress and what timing?

Although the battery is supposed to shutdown completely to protect itself, you are in uncharted territory, where it might be necessary for Tesla to be involved to wake it back up.

If that was my car the battery would never have dropped so far, If they failed to recharge when you told them its low I would have been in their workshop pronto and created the biggest stink possible, I would also block their entrance with a car and create so much fuss they would want to get rid of me. The manager there wouldn't know if his arsehole was drilled, bored or countersunk.
I cant believe just how laid back you are.

I tend to agree with the sentiment of the last few posts....it this was my car (owned or leased) I would have gone ballistic many, many months ago and this would have included confronting them face-to-face when it became apparent that they weren't maintaining the batteries correctly.

Dartford would be my first choice. Tesla drove my car to them from Winchester for a complete rear end respray due to Fremont damage and Heathrow mess. The car had previously been to Apollo Bodyshop for a minor scuff. I would really recommend Apollo or Dartford. Tesla website identifies approved body shops. Tesla Service Centres might send you to their local fixers (beer buddies) watch out! Heathrow is case in mind 5 attempts to fix a spot the size of a zit finished up with half a car respray..but it was excellent.

The point is this thread is about "Duty of Care". The insurance should do the ground work not us! The uk is on a race to the bottom in this respect in 2 days..... 1) My daughter took her fiat 500 (not an 'e' yet but working on it) in for a front shock absorber to a national service franchise. They fitted the top mount back to front. 2) DVLA just sent me a fine for driving my ice car the day after I taxed it (2nd of May, yes it took them 3 weeks). Which I have to fight through the post because there is not one human who is available to sort it out DVLA are brimming with awards for computerising everything. All this puts more onus on the customer to recognise and fix, at our expense, idiots at play. The only solution is the American way. Litigation and Class actions. Gee Gawd help us. Yah-hee.

The point is this thread is about "Duty of Care". The insurance should do the ground work not us! The uk is on a race to the bottom in this respect in 2 days..... 1) My daughter took her fiat 500 (not an 'e' yet but working on it) in for a front shock absorber to a national service franchise. They fitted the top mount back to front. 2) DVLA just sent me a fine for driving my ice car the day after I taxed it (2nd of May, yes it took them 3 weeks). Which I have to fight through the post because there is not one human who is available to sort it out DVLA are brimming with awards for computerising everything. All this puts more onus on the customer to recognise and fix, at our expense, idiots at play. The only solution is the American way. Litigation and Class actions. Gee Gawd help us. Yah-hee.
The "DVLA" sent you a fine for driving without VED? normally fines are issued by the police?
Am I correct in thinking you you taxed it on the 1st of May and you got the penalty for driving it on the 2nd?
if so just out of interest what time of day did you do it?

Dartford would be my first choice. Tesla drove my car to them from Winchester for a complete rear end respray due to Fremont damage and Heathrow mess. The car had previously been to Apollo Bodyshop for a minor scuff. I would really recommend Apollo or Dartford. Tesla website identifies approved body shops. Tesla Service Centres might send you to their local fixers (beer buddies) watch out! Heathrow is case in mind 5 attempts to fix a spot the size of a zit finished up with half a car respray..but it was excellent.
Apollo Polegate? They’re my nearest approved body shop so hoping my insurer will consider them.

Sadly I don’t think the damage will T cut out.

Insured with Churchill. Hope they’re half ok.

Attachments

• 70638470323__DF4D815F-FCAC-4E77-B54B-CF174552715A.jpeg
    70638470323__DF4D815F-FCAC-4E77-B54B-CF174552715A.jpeg
    779.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_9786.jpeg
    IMG_9786.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_9784.jpeg
    IMG_9784.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 57
Ticketed at 1.30pm on 2nd. But email on 1st states you can drive immediately.

So for parts of the 1st the car was untaxed or not under SORN? Doesn't matter whether its driven or not, you need to have one or the other. No idea on grace period though - in my younger days, there was what was called a '7 day wonder' where you had to fix your transgression, but in those days, it wasn't continuous registration (with SORN if car was off road) and paper discs so without being stopped, no real way of proving car was untaxed and being used.

The "DVLA" sent you a fine for driving without VED? normally fines are issued by the police?
Am I correct in thinking you you taxed it on the 1st of May and you got the penalty for driving it on the 2nd?
if so just out of interest what time of day did you do it?
VED tickets/prosecutions are carried out by DVLA. The police can refer people to the DVLA, however DVLA are the prosecuting authority.