Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Break-in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two neighbors and myself had our cars broken in to last night. The crook smashed the rear passenger window on all three of our cars to gain access, and proceeded to loot what he could find while bleeding all over the place. Luckily, most of the blood in my M3 was on the seats and cleaned up fairly easily. However, I do have a spot where some blood dried into the headliner. Could any car cleaning experts recommend how best get a blood stain out of the headliner material?

As an aside, I tweeted @ elon to request some sort of anti-theft sensory device going for our M3's. I'm sure I'm not the first, but it just seems silly with all the tech the car has that this feature doesn't already exist. I know they've recently done something similar for MS and MX, but why not the M3!? Imagine how nice it would be if the M3 could dump interior camera data to the usb upon sensing a break-in.

While the officers at the scene today were able to collect a bunch of fingerprint and dna evidence from the blood, they told me the local crime lab would likely take around 6 mos to process, and even then would only get a hit if the guy was already a convicted felon in the database. Imagine how much quicker they could potentially close this case if I had been able to get them footage of the perp in action.

Attachments

• IMG_0655.jpg
    IMG_0655.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0656.jpg
    IMG_0656.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0657.jpg
    IMG_0657.jpg
    438.8 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0658.jpg
    IMG_0658.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 153
Sorry man. That really sucks. No way to garage it? I think that's the only reason I've managed to not get broken into for about 30 years.

Unfortunately not at the time, I own and live in a condo with no garage parking - just a car port. I don't keep any valuables in my car so fortunately all I lost was a beanie and am mostly annoyed by the inconvenience of dealing with this and insurance. One of my neighbors happened to be one of those people who leaves their wallet in the car.

get a car cover... smash and grab takes a lot longer if the thief has to remove your car cover... and increases the risk of being seen.

While certainly not a bad idea, it would be a huge pain in the ass to have to keep covering and uncovering my car. I just can't reconcile doing that multiple times a day. We need an anti-theft system on this car!!

>> Leeclanual said:
>> get a car cover... smash and grab takes a lot longer if the thief has to remove your car cover... and increases the risk of being seen.

While certainly not a bad idea, it would be a huge pain in the ass to have to keep covering and uncovering my car.
I just can't reconcile doing that multiple times a day. We need an anti-theft system on this car!!

Tesla Model 3 - Car cover .jpg

Two neighbors and myself had our cars broken in to last night. The crook smashed the rear passenger window on all three of our cars to gain access, and proceeded to loot what he could find while bleeding all over the place. Luckily, most of the blood in my M3 was on the seats and cleaned up fairly easily. However, I do have a spot where some blood dried into the headliner. Could any car cleaning experts recommend how best get a blood stain out of the headliner material?

As an aside, I tweeted @ elon to request some sort of anti-theft sensory device going for our M3's. I'm sure I'm not the first, but it just seems silly with all the tech the car has that this feature doesn't already exist. I know they've recently done something similar for MS and MX, but why not the M3!? Imagine how nice it would be if the M3 could dump interior camera data to the usb upon sensing a break-in.

While the officers at the scene today were able to collect a bunch of fingerprint and dna evidence from the blood, they told me the local crime lab would likely take around 6 mos to process, and even then would only get a hit if the guy was already a convicted felon in the database. Imagine how much quicker they could potentially close this case if I had been able to get them footage of the perp in action.

Sorry to hear about your car, I hope the repair, cleanup and insurance hassle will be minimal.

Does this mean the car has no alarm system or does it have one that would not detect the broken glass or motion inside? I had never considered that it may lack that.

And, by the way, loved the local constabulary's comment ... 6 months!!! If it's any consolation, video evidence would have probably made no difference with that level of indolence.

Reactions: C141medic
Sorry to hear about your car, I hope the repair, cleanup and insurance hassle will be minimal.

Does this mean the car has no alarm system or does it have one that would not detect the broken glass or motion inside? I had never considered that it may lack that.

And, by the way, loved the local constabulary's comment ... 6 months!!! If it's any consolation, video evidence would have probably made no difference with that level of indolence.

From what I understand, the M3 has an alarm system but would only trip upon a locked door being opened. Someone please correct me there if I'm wrong...

With the tech the M3 has, I'm advocating for improvements to said alarm system that would set it off for window breaks while also activating the interior camera during such an event. I can't imagine this would be too difficult to do, and I'd even pay for it if it's similar to the anti-theft sensory option upgrade recently introduced for MS and MX.

I don't know if it's more funny or pathetic that crime lab processing would take that long but I gotta imagine the lab has far more important cases/evidence to work on....o_O I'm not holding my breath for any justice, but I can't help but think a photo or video footage of the perp has gotta at least increase the odds.

Here in Houston they’ll take a report for insurance but tell you straight up zero time is spent investigating a Motor vehicle burglary. A neighbor leaves her car unlocked in hopes they’ll just open the door.

Sorry about your break in. That frikking sucks. I’m surprised that they went as far as taking DNA evidence from the blood. It would be nice if our cars had a glass breakage detector tied to an alarm. It may not totally prevent lowlifes from from breaking the window but perhaps it would scare them away once alarm activates.

Camera activation would also be nice. The car has 8? cameras so you’d think they’d activate in case of a bump or glass breakage. In the meantime maybe something like this would work?
Waylens | Automotive cameras for security and performance