Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 breakdown and recovery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm new to the forum and have had my M3 for 6 weeks. Yesterday my vehicle had a compete meltdown on the motorway and was towed away. Regen braking, steering assist, traction control, stability control and air bag all failed. It was a seriously unpleasant experience and felt like driving a tank with limited control.

I'm currently without a vehicle and have been offered a diesel Mercedes as replacement which I declined. Getting a temporary electric vehicle replacement is solely reliant on Enterprise having stock.

I have no idea when I'll get my vehicle back as the Edinburgh service centre is closed and my vehicle is currently housed at the recovery company's premises.

Has anybody else experienced such a catastrophic failure? If so, what might I expect going forward with regards to repair?

• Informative
Reactions: navt and cwerdna
I'm new to the forum and have had my M3 for 6 weeks. Yesterday my vehicle had a compete meltdown on the motorway and was towed away. Regen braking, steering assist, traction control, stability control and air bag all failed. It was a seriously unpleasant experience and felt like driving a tank with limited control.

I'm currently without a vehicle and have been offered a diesel Mercedes as replacement which I declined. Getting a temporary electric vehicle replacement is solely reliant on Enterprise having stock.

I have no idea when I'll get my vehicle back as the Edinburgh service centre is closed and my vehicle is currently housed at the recovery company's premises.

Has anybody else experienced such a catastrophic failure? If so, what might I expect going forward with regards to repair?
Tesla SC should be open tomorrow. Get on the blower to them early in the morning and demand a courtesy immediately.

Reactions: xnetco
I am a regular on the forum and have not heard of another case that serious on the forum yet.
But from what I have read of repairs. How long it takes to fix is going to be massively dependant on parts.
If it does not need any or they are in the country I would expect it to be quick i.e. a week or os if jumps the service queue which I assume catastrophic failures do.
BUT
if the parts are not in the country/EU. don't expect them to be air freighted in. they will come by ship in which case you could be looking at 6 to 8 weeks to get them shipped from the US.

You will get a message sometime on Tuesday about the car, it will take most of Monday for the car to be transported to the service centre and than you will be contacted?

Why did you decline the loan car? If you have a loan car Tesla will be paying for it by the day and incentivised to get yours back. The Service centre wouldnt supply you with another Tesla unless there is a spare one going which is rare.

Once the service centre get the car the repair will hopefully be quick.

You will get a message sometime on Tuesday about the car, it will take most of Monday for the car to be transported to the service centre and than you will be contacted?

Why did you decline the loan car? If you have a loan car Tesla will be paying for it by the day and incentivised to get yours back. The Service centre wouldnt supply you with another Tesla unless there is a spare one going which is rare.

Once the service centre get the car the repair will hopefully be quick.

I agree take the rental. With my Model S they paid for all the fuel too.

I've read a couple of (older) reports of a fuse blowing and bad connections, causing the car to shut down (with some warning but still...) Such catastrophic failures do seem to be very rare.

It will be a sensor issue.

I reckon it might simply be this as well. Unlikely for so many things to all suddenly fail simultaneously. My partner's car (not a Tesla) was complaining all the time about pretty much everything having failed shortly after she got it. Wasn't actually a fault with any of the components it was complaining about.

If time off work isn't an issue I'd rock up at SC 8.45am with a bag of doughnuts and a polite approach, try to get a chat with a techie and sort out temporary vehicle. SC staff are usually very nice just the organisation which tends to be pants.

As it came up with so many errors it might be caused by one problem part and hopefully that is in stock in the country otherwise you will be looking at an 8 week+ wait for parts!

Last edited: