Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 - Bunch of error messages when attempting to start vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did they say why (like parts availability) or something, or just reschedule with nothing?
Nope. Just got an email stating that our service appointment had been rescheduled; no prior communication. Just like when they cancelled mobile service.

Did they tow it there?
Nope.

Are they providing a rental or just Uber credits?
I don't know yet - in the past, they have given Uber credits. When my S was in previously, I rode in Uber for almost 3 weeks, until they gave me a loaner on day 20. Day 21 the car was magically finished and ready to pick up. Coincidence?
so an issue effectively making the car undriveable has a ~3 week wait time to get it even "looked at"
Correct.

UPDATE

Today we received a new message from service revising the scope of work - it is now apparently only a bad $120 ABS sensor and not some wheel communication issue that was going to cost $800 to fix.

AND, get this, NOW they also want to change the 12v battery "as a preventive maintenance item". Recall Tesla insisted about 10 days ago there was nothing wrong with the 12v battery and refused to send mobile service out to change it.

Reactions: ColoradoMike
Finally got the car fixed on Monday at service (took almost a month), and it was a bad wheel speed sensor - $133 parts and labor installed.

They also replaced the 12v battery.

Crazy to think it took almost a month to put in a $90 part that completely disabled virtually every safety feature on the 3.
In hindsight, it's not a big shock to find you had a bad wheel speed sensor. Those get damaged, and the things you had alerting you, "ABS, driver stability control, autopilot, cruise control, power steering, tire pressure monitoring, regenerative braking, hold feature, traction control, etc." are all reliant upon that sensor, to differing degrees. All the driving tech we have now, started with ABS, and built upon those first sensors. So, having a bad wheel speed sensor, is going to give tons of errors all the way up from ABS.

I had a bad wheel speed sensor on an old Saab, and the yellow ABS light came on. That had to be 20yrs ago.

Crazy to think it took almost a month to put in a $90 part that completely disabled virtually every safety feature on the 3.

In fairness, it wasn't "them" (the employees), it was "them" (Tesla). They haven't scaled service to keep up with sales. I think Elon's "the best service is no service" is true, but if they think they're going to improve the cars to the point of never needing repairs, they're mistaken.

Perhaps they're waiting for third-party mechanics to fill the need. While I do think we'll need *way* fewer repair centers for electric vehicles, we still need more than what we have. Many people are driving over an hour to their nearest service center... and waiting weeks or longer has become the norm at many of them.

Glad you got answers! It's good when it makes sense too.
If you guys think the service issues are Tesla-specific....do you have ICE cars these days and have you tried to get service? My wife drives a Chevy and my daughter a Mercedes. The poor service from both of them this year has been unbelievable. Extremely long lead times, car towed to Mercedes and they refused to look at it for 10 days, wrong fixes, etc.
There are no road rangers out there for them either. I'll take Tesla service over them.

My understanding is that mobile service can't fix this issue - you need to take it in to a service center.

Living in Nanaimo where there is no service center in vancouver island, I will need to take ferries to get to the nearest Service center in Vancouver. I am very afraid to take the ferries as when those alerts are present, the car loses traction (without drag as normal) and it becomes slippery (feel like driving in neutral position). When boarding to ferries, it's very dangerous driving up and down as I will need to drive very close to other cars.

Can I ask the service center come to pick it up if necessary? And if possible, can I ask them to offer a loaner car without charge? It's a new car I just pick up 29th, June 2022.

Hi all, for those that have this issue with No ABS and no power steering, have you considered the lemon law effect to return the vehicle or at least get a new one? I current have the same issue on my MY 2022 that I got Dec 30th 2022. It's happened 2 times at this point (as its been in the shop 2 weeks more then we 've driven it) , same issue (likely sensors failing). Always luckily first thing in the morning when trying to start (as opposed to in middle of driving) after rain / cold (40 degree weather) in socal. Wife is def scared and safety wise is not acceptable.