Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 - Bunch of error messages when attempting to start vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trip charged our 2017 M3 the other night for the first time (maybe ever). Got up the next morning to leave, and we received a bunch of errors, including that the following items were disabled: ABS, driver stability control, autopilot, cruise control, power steering, tire pressure monitoring, regenerative braking, hold feature, traction control, etc.

My wife won't drive the car anymore, believing that it is unsafe. At a minimum, it's really hard to drive since the power steering was deactivated.

First Tesla service appointment is 3+ weeks out - has anyone else had this happen to them and/or is there a fix short of taking the car in to Tesla service? We have tried restarting the computer with the steering wheel controls, turning it off, etc.

Trip charged our 2017 M3 the other night for the first time (maybe ever). Got up the next morning to leave, and we received a bunch of errors, including that the following items were disabled: ABS, driver stability control, autopilot, cruise control, power steering, tire pressure monitoring, regenerative braking, hold feature, traction control, etc.

My wife won't drive the car anymore, believing that it is unsafe. At a minimum, it's really hard to drive since the power steering was deactivated.

First Tesla service appointment is 3+ weeks out - has anyone else had this happen to them and/or is there a fix short of taking the car in to Tesla service? We have tried restarting the computer with the steering wheel controls, turning it off, etc.
3 week's depend on the gravity of your incident I think open an incident on the application you receive soon an answer and a rdv less than 5 days

If you have never replaced the 12V battery, thats the simplest answer to the question of what you could try.

The 12v battery is the original. I don't recall seeing an error that the 12v battery was going bad (our MS gives flashes us a warning telling us to change the 12v battery; we've had it replaced twice now in 5 years).

Any good tutorials how to test it?

And, is it possible to do a self-replacement of the battery? If so, any suggestions which 12v battery to get (if it matters at all)?

Appreciate the help!

Don’t drIve it.

As I understand it, if you are seeing these messages when the car is awake it most likely means the DC-DC transformer has failed. When the car is awake the transformer provides power to the 12v system, the 12v battery is not used, only charged. If the transfomer fails the 12v system in the car runs off the 12v battery until it dies, as the voltage drops the cars turns off various systems in an attempt to preserve the battery, When the battery dies the car becomes a brick. If it is in a garage, leave the driver’s side window and the Frunk (if the battery is located there) open.

I suggest you put a battery tender on the 12v battery so you will be able to get the car to the SC, otherwise the car will likely need to be towed. Call the SC back and raise hell!

Last edited:
And, is it possible to do a self-replacement of the battery? If so, any suggestions which 12v battery to get (if it matters at all)?

BTW there is no harm in trying a new battery. With a fully charged battery (existing or new) the message should go away for a while but will return once the 12v battery voltage drops again. Probably a good test since, given the age of the battery, it should be replaced. As to how, just search YouTube, lots of how to videos.

You should be able to get the battery from the Tesla parts department at the SC.

The 12v battery is the original. I don't recall seeing an error that the 12v battery was going bad (our MS gives flashes us a warning telling us to change the 12v battery; we've had it replaced twice now in 5 years).

Any good tutorials how to test it?

Appreciate the help!
Pick up a $85 battery at your service center. Or you can try to schedule a service and a mobile ranger may come, could even be faster than the 3wk appt.

Or, if you feel handy, you can do it, there's an online tutorial on this website. I think you have to do a "shutdown" from the display, and then flip the HV switch under the rightside passenger seat, then change your 12v as any other car.

FYI - attached is a screenshot of the list of errors we are receiving.

Attachments

• PXL_20220614_214642029.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220614_214642029.MP.jpg
    566.2 KB · Views: 374
The 12v battery is the original.

Then that is a pretty big indicator that this could be the issue. We have several threads here on the 12v battery in model 3s, and especially for our older ones (Mine is a 2018) we dont always get a warning its about to fail (and it generates all those scary looking error messages too).

There are a few threads here on how to replace it, but as @KenC mentioned, the part is $85 at the service center if you want to buy it, and installed its about $129 installed (and thats if you have to pay for it).

My suggestion is to call your local service center (the one you made your appointment at) and ask them if they can help you get a sooner appointment than your already scheduled appointment, because the car is not drivable and you think its the 12V. Depending on how far the SC is from you, you might have to get it towed there. You can probably get a mobile appointment before the 3 week time frame too and if you can wait a bit I might go with that as the easiest option.

Sounds like it is more than the battery. Yes, 10-days sucks, welcome to Tesla’s poor service. Assuming you are still under warranty, then

“For vehicles that are not drivable due to a vehicle malfunction, and the vehicle malfunction is due to a warrantable issue, transportation services are covered by Tesla for the first 500 miles (800 km) to the nearest Tesla Service Center. “

It's no longer under warranty. I can't imagine what it's going to cost to have roadside tow it 100 miles.

Saying that Tesla has "poor service" is an understatement; we've been dealing with this horrific service for 5 years now on both our S and 3, and I'm hitting a breaking point. My S was in service for 3 weeks (yes, 3 weeks) earlier this year while they tried to figure out some software error when I did the MCU upgrade.

We'll see where this all heads.

I have AAA premium, just for those situations where I might need to tow my 3 to a Service Center. The nearest one is 145miles away from my home. If you're in a rural area like me, you have to prepare for the worst.