Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Buyer's Remorse?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had a MS for about 3 years now and have loved it; however, decided to take order of the M3. My main reasons was my MS was out of warranty, smaller battery, and only had AP1.

From everything I could see online, it received favorable reviews. However, now that I have it, I really wish I just kept the MS. Granted, I have only had the M3 for a day, the MS just seems so much nicer.

Any others coming from the MS to the M3 go through similiar feelings?

No. I've had my S for 3 years, it's leased and is getting returned in about 3 weeks. I love the M3, it's a better built vehicle, AP2 has now exceeded AP1's capabilities, and it has longer range than my S. The only thing I'm settling for is the somewhat slower acceleration, but that's not worth the $45K price premium for the S.

That is interesting you find it better built. You didn't feel the interrior in the S is so much nicer than the 3?

That is interesting you find it better built. You didn't feel the interrior in the S is so much nicer than the 3?
I find them different. The 3 has a sportier, smaller, more nimble feel with seats that are comfortable (on par with my 2016 S90D, perhaps not quite as nice but I have rare ventilated ultra white seats). The taller windshield gives me much more visual room (I'm tall, 6'2") that I find significantly better, and the driving experience is both fun and sporting, and the latest EAP gives excellent performance.

If I could only pick one I think it would actually be the 3....

I find them different. The 3 has a sportier, smaller, more nimble feel with seats that are comfortable (on par with my 2016 S90D, perhaps not quite as nice but I have rare ventilated ultra white seats). The taller windshield gives me much more visual room (I'm tall, 6'2") that I find significantly better, and the driving experience is both fun and sporting, and the latest EAP gives excellent performance.

Nice! Did you instantly like the 3 more or did it take some time?

Nice! Did you instantly like the 3 more or did it take some time?
What sold me was (a) driving a 20 mile twisty road with the AP turned off, enjoying the sporty feel and excellent steering/power response. Pure sports sedan, super nice. Followed by (b) 300 miles road trip with the latest EAP which smoothly handled the entire drive without scaring me or creating any drama.

Perfect combination: turn off all the automation and drive when you feel like having a sports car, turn on EAP to relax and enjoy the cruise.

We have the premium leather ventilated seats in our MS along with alcantara materials (matters to some) and sunroof and I do like the two screens but sure I will adjust when Model 3 arrives (a second car for us that I think will be my primary drive), so I'll definitely miss those I'm sure. Also think I will miss the storage. Thought I would care about the small things that the Model 3 included that the MS lacked (coat hook, small interior storage areas, and lit mirrors--which I understand now come on the new MSs) but that really faded away quickly and became a non-item to me. I will say that we've had our MS for about a year now and everytime I still get in it, I just love the sensation of sitting in it let alone driving it. Hope I'll be able to say that of our Model 3 but I think I will always gravitate towards the MS as my favorite model. Eventually the MS will get upgraded battery range (maybe be even more than what the Model 3 gets) and other improvements; some of them like the center screen are already being delivered.

Not fair to answer yet I guess since I don't have my Model 3 for in-the-seat comparison but I think I will always prefer the extra luxury feel of the MS over the Model 3. Doubt I'll be disappointed with the Model 3 though or feel remorse getting it instead of another MS at this point in time.

I pretty much agree with all of this. I definitely prefer my new 3 over my old S. Everybody's different though. The 3 is a smaller sportier car, the S a larger smoother car. It depends on what you prefer.

There are only a few things that I prefer in the S over the 3
1) Automatic liftgate + the extra cargo capacity in trunk and frunk
2) Rear view mirror visibility in the 3 is worse than the S because of the high trunklid
3) Energy screen that is missing on the 3
4) Acceleration and regen (coming from an S90D) - I wish the 3 had a lot more regen than it does...and of course the dual motor S has superior acceleration to the RWD 3 (for now)

I like the size of the 3 more overall - it's a foot shorter, so easier to park in a garage. The 3 also is so much sharper in cornering response and feels more nimble.

I never found the interior of the S to be luxurious in any way, so except for having no screen directly in front of the steering wheel, I'd say the upscaleness of the interior are pretty comparable.

it all comes down to personal preference.

i thought about it for a bit and went against it and gave away both my Model 3 reservations(both are happy with their new car)

some things i can mention about both cars, this is comparing P85D to 3LR
- P85D is obviously faster(the Model 3 is similar to the 75/85 RWD in terms of speed)
- Model S interior material feels more premium but i do like the Model 3 door panel design
- Model S has more trunk/frunk space and also the hatch style lift gate
- Model 3 has more cup holders/door pockets
- Model 3 is smaller (easier to find parking spots)
- Model 3 has faster MCU but in reality the older MCU works just fine
- AP1 vs AP2, i dont care for the FSD and AP1 has what im looking for so there is no need for me to upgrade

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
Sure, I'd say in the interrior I just find the MS nicer. Nicer finishes and the ride is smoother. I do agree the M3 is more sporty and nimble. My EAP is not collabrated so I am not able to test that yet.

Other factor is that most parts of Florida offer comparatively few twisty roads.

I’m a Miami native, now living in LA. Favor M3 over MS (by a hair), but it would be the opposite back home.

For me, I guess my expectations of a vehicle interior might be a bit different from some others. I just want the interior to look nice and be functional. The S has that. The 3 has that. My S does have the Alcantera dash accent, but that isn't offered anymore in the S. Not that I really notice it.

If you're looking for real leather, ornate wood, designer accents, plush seating, heated/cooled/massaging seats, 29 cupholders, etc. then neither the S nor the 3 meets that standard. If that's what you're looking for, then start looking at the Mercedes S class, BMW 7 series, Audi A7/A8, Jaguar XJ, etc.

As a 3 driver who admittedly has only sat behind the wheel of one of the least powerful versions of the Model S, complaining about the acceleration seems nuts! I actually could not imagine wanting to accelerate faster than the 3 can, and I am no grandma behind the wheel. Most striking is its nimbleness when accelerating from a freeway speed. I've driven cars with higher horsepower, but never felt anything like the instant boost you get in a 3.

The Model 3 is a joy to drive. Its so nimble and responsive. . It feels like....well.....a smaller sportier car. Its like comparing a 5 series BMW to a 3 series BMW. They both have their place. I just enjoy the 3 more. It works better for me. I also feel that people seem to think that more buttons = more luxury. I don't agree with this. All the buttons are on the main screen and are more than enough.