Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 cost increase??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back in July the cost for our new (ordered) M3 was $4999.00. Upgrade LR AWD, upgrade wheels, and interior and paint color(Blue) I finally got a VIN# and a contract for payment this week. The total cost had risen to $51.750.00.
Here in Vermont in order to qualify for a $4K rebate, the car must be all electric, new, and cost under $50K. Also adjusted Income under 50K.
It appears that the cost increase has torpedoed our rebate....Car scheduled to be delivered last week of September.
More to come.
Mask up and prosper'

Back in July the cost for our new (ordered) M3 was $4999.00. Upgrade LR AWD, upgrade wheels, and interior and paint color(Blue) I finally got a VIN# and a contract for payment this week. The total cost had risen to $51.750.00.
Here in Vermont in order to qualify for a $4K rebate, the car must be all electric, new, and cost under $50K. Also adjusted Income under 50K.
It appears that the cost increase has torpedoed our rebate....Car scheduled to be delivered last week of September.
More to come.
Mask up and prosper'

are you sure thats not just the destination fee? most of those state rebates dont count "taxes and fees". If its not destination, or, your state rebate does NOT differentiate between cost of car and "taxes and fees" just drop the upgraded wheels. the rebate would basically pay for you to purchase the same wheels from tesla after the fact if you are a person who likes "factory" wheels (like I am).

I suspect, however, that the increase in cost was due to the destination fee, and I also suspect that your state rebate is "price of the car" but excludes taxes and fees.

More to come.
Mask up and prosper'
I live in Mass. Recently ordered SR Model 3 (two weeks ago) and was all set with the rebate (here it's $2,500 provided all in cost of car doesn't exceed $50,000). But I really was unhappy with my decision and wanted to upgrade to LR model which I did. That put my total at around $53,000 which includes my upgrade to white interior and silver metallic exterior, and destination/handling fees and state tax. I'm bummed out about missing out on the incentives but still prefer car with features I chose. I personally think Tesla should stop advertising the "before discount" cost to own on website. I read that in Germany they've banned Tesla from doing so.

Reactions: alset92977
are you sure thats not just the destination fee? most of those state rebates dont count "taxes and fees". If its not destination, or, your state rebate does NOT differentiate between cost of car and "taxes and fees" just drop the upgraded wheels. the rebate would basically pay for you to purchase the same wheels from tesla after the fact if you are a person who likes "factory" wheels (like I am).

I suspect, however, that the increase in cost was due to the destination fee, and I also suspect that your state rebate is "price of the car" but excludes taxes and fees.
It was the destination fee that got mine over $50K, I live in Mass. But guy at Tesla told me I won't qualify for rebate at least in my state because they count destination fee into rebate. I receive car next week, so I will still apply for the rebate and see what happens.

Some people are worried about warranty support
I guess that's the only reason (apart from maybe people like Tesla's wheels more than aftermarket), but even then, it's not that hard to swap wheels back to your oem should something arise and you don't want Tesla to argue that your aftermarket wheels are the cause (heck mfg's can throw any kind of argument nowadays to void warranty)

I myself intend to get a set of lightweight aftermarket (probably some 18" rpf1) for summer driving and use the oem 18" aeros for winter tires (I see that the aero covers could be great guards against snow getting stuck into the wheels in the winter and causing imbalance/shake)

I guess that's the only reason (apart from maybe people like Tesla's wheels more than aftermarket), but even then, it's not that hard to swap wheels back to your oem should something arise and you don't want Tesla to argue that your aftermarket wheels are the cause (heck mfg's can throw any kind of argument nowadays to void warranty)

I myself intend to get a set of lightweight aftermarket (probably some 18" rpf1) for summer driving and use the oem 18" aeros for winter tires (I see that the aero covers could be great guards against snow getting stuck into the wheels in the winter and causing imbalance/shake)

Thanks, worth considering I guess. This car is a gift to my partner of almost 50 years. She has always been there for us. I don't expect to be around forever, and hope she lives long, and enjoys a mostly maintenance free, safe, 'instant heat' (Vermont) car.
Thanks

It was the destination fee that got mine over $50K, I live in Mass. But guy at Tesla told me I won't qualify for rebate at least in my state because they count destination fee into rebate. I receive car next week, so I will still apply for the rebate and see what happens.
Thanks, I am checking to see if the cost includes the destination fee here in Vt. here we pay 6% tax on the cost of the car.

I live in Mass. Recently ordered SR Model 3 (two weeks ago) and was all set with the rebate (here it's $2,500 provided all in cost of car doesn't exceed $50,000). But I really was unhappy with my decision and wanted to upgrade to LR model which I did. That put my total at around $53,000 which includes my upgrade to white interior and silver metallic exterior, and destination/handling fees and state tax. I'm bummed out about missing out on the incentives but still prefer car with features I chose. I personally think Tesla should stop advertising the "before discount" cost to own on website. I read that in Germany they've banned Tesla from doing so.
Agree. We have had the M3 on order since early July. Finally got a vin# on 9/3. Also got the purchase agreement, with a new price of $51,750. Section for deposit amount is blank, although we placed a $1K deposit that can't be found??? Shipping brings the cost down to $50,750.00 if applicable. i guess we could pass on the premium wheels. :={

Mask on and prosper'