Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Crash - So Sad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This*, frankly, is one of the most frustrating things I find about being on TMC in general.

(* this, being the desire for people to post every accident that one of these cars gets in they see online, as if other cars dont get into accidents all the time).

Here is a BMW crash on November 30th in LA as well:

I am sure if I googled toyota, or Mercedes, etc I could find stories of those crashing in LA in the past week as well.

But, in all the years I was on the various BMW boards, NO ONE rushed to post all of these to those boards.

• Love
Reactions: Ciaopec and brkaus
...(* this, being the desire for people to post every accident that one of these cars gets in they see online, as if other cars dont get into accidents all the time)....
I think these postings of Tesla accidents have been helpful, at least, to me.

I fell in love with the Autopilot/FSD after hearing the pitch but I then realized that it could not stop for stationary obstacles (at least at highway speed) thanks to these kinds of reports.

Since Tesla's technology is new, at least, to me, I would love to have a list of all Tesla accidents so I can learn and take precautions.

We can ignore BMW because it has not said the way Tesla did in 2013:

Reactions: outdoors
I'm thinking speeding too fast for the foggy conditions for sure. I've driven in heavy fog on only a few occasions and it's white knuckle driving at best hoping you don't hit something in front of you or go off road or have someone behind you hit you because they don't see you in time. As Big Earl mentioned that light pole is way into the car. We've seen other Model 3s hit poles and have to say this is worse than any I recall seeing. Sorry to lose a Tesla driver and hope the passenger pulls through. If nothing else this is a reminder to anyone driving in fog like this to use extra care.

I think the question of whether the driver was using FSD or even AP is a valid one.

I'm thinking speeding too fast for the foggy conditions for sure. I've driven in heavy fog on only a few occasions and it's white knuckle driving at best hoping you don't hit something in front of you or go off road or have someone behind you hit you because they don't see you in time. As Big Earl mentioned that light pole is way into the car. We've seen other Model 3s hit poles and have to say this is worse than any I recall seeing. Sorry to lose a Tesla driver and hope the passenger pulls through. If nothing else this is a reminder to anyone driving in fog like this to use extra care.

I think the question of whether the driver was using FSD or even AP is a valid one.

I don’t see how FSD or AP could screw up so badly that a light pole ends up where the center screen would be. Especially not in Redondo Beach. I’ve driven through there at about 2am on a similarly foggy night while Supercharger hunting and I just don’t see how that’s possible.

Grew up a few blocks from there, walk through that intersection all the time. There's a large bend that starts there, looks like the car/driver didn't turn and hit it at full speed. My guess is they were in the inside lane and drifted through the curb side lane and smacked it head on as the telemetry lines up perfectly. Can't speak to the visibility, but fog can be intense there.

Aerial shot of intersection:

Car hit the light pole on the Northwest corner (near the bus logo). It was coming from the other side of the intersection and made a B-line right into it.