Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Demand Levers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Buckminster

Aug 29, 2018
UK
My guess:

March - Employee leasing
April - None
May - RHD LR
June - NA Leasing
July - None
Aug - None
Sep - NA SR (all options incl. std interior) & remove MR
Oct - Worldwide SR
Nov - None
Dec - None
Q1 - None
Q2 - Worldwide leasing

Unused
  • MR outside NA
  • SR with premium interior & AWD initially
  • Free supercharging
  • Bundling AP / FSD
  • Price reductions
Where I am most likely wrong
  • SR and leasing wrong way around - can Elon delay $35k that long?
What else have I got wrong or missed?

Reactions: Dig deeper
My guess:

March - Employee leasing
April - None
May - RHD LR
June - NA Leasing
July - None
Aug - None
Sep - NA SR (all options incl. std interior) & remove MR
Oct - Worldwide SR
Nov - None
Dec - None
Q1 - None
Q2 - Worldwide leasing

Unused
  • MR outside NA
  • SR with premium interior & AWD initially
  • Free supercharging
  • Bundling AP / FSD
  • Price reductions
Where I am most likely wrong
  • SR and leasing wrong way around - can Elon delay $35k that long?
What else have I got wrong or missed?
Missing: RWD LR for EU (and I believe, its return to NA). Timing I believe will be April (because I believe the initial EU demand for AWD and P will be satiated by then and Tesla will need a new demand lever for Q2 in the EU).

Historic demand levers:
  • Price reductions.
  • Significant feature/hardware additions. Possibilities:
    • HW3 might be such a demand lever.
    • In-car Wifi hotspot for a monthly subscription or a fixed price, the car already comes with an LTE connection after all.
  • Early lease termination offers: for example allowing a 3-year lease to end after 2 years, if delivery is taken immediately.
  • Removal of certain options will pull forward any demand of customers who wanted those options.
  • Addition of certain options - such as new colors.
  • Free Internet/streaming connectivity options.
  • Not inhaling cannabis on Joe Rogan's show. (Just kidding. :D)

With production rates plus suggestions:

March - Employee leasing (6k)
April - Iceland, Eastern EU plus LR RWD in EU (6k)
May - RHD LR (6k)
June - NA Leasing (6k)
July - None (7k) - 6 months early?
Aug - LR RWD worldwide (7k)
Sep - NA SR (all options incl. std interior) & remove MR(7k)
Oct - Worldwide SR (7k)
Nov - None (7k) - 0.1k GF3
Dec - None (8k) - 1k GF3
Q1 - None (10k) - 3k GF3 (max GF3 production planned ahead of MY?)
Q2 - Worldwide leasing (10k)

Question is: how long until the Maxwell process makes it to market for Tesla?

I’m sure Tesla has already validated Maxwell’s technology, or they wouldn’t have offered to purchase them.

It wouldn’t surprise me if we saw a new cell using Maxwell’s tech by end of year. I imagine Tesla is already deep into endurance testing the cells using the new process.

With production rates plus suggestions:

March - Employee leasing (6k)
April - Iceland, Eastern EU plus LR RWD in EU (6k)
May - RHD LR (6k)
June - NA Leasing (6k)
July - None (7k) - 6 months early?
Aug - LR RWD worldwide (7k)
Sep - NA SR (all options incl. std interior) & remove MR(7k)
Oct - Worldwide SR (7k)
Dec - None (8k) - 1k GF3
Q1 - None (10k) - 3k GF3 (max GF3 production planned ahead of MY?)

I don't see Worldwide SR in October - I think EU doesn't get SR till 2020.
I also think EU gets MR in May/June and that delays SR till 2020.

Update following SR announcement:

March - Shed loads! (6k)
April - Iceland, Eastern EU - high spec (6k)
May - None (6k)
June - None (6k)
July - RHD - high spec (7k)
Aug - None (7k)
Sep - Worldwide SR (7k)
Oct - None (7k)
Dec - US leasing (8k) - 1k GF3
Q1 - None (10k) - 3k GF3

No removal of MR.
No change to PUP / battery sizing combination options?

Karen posted this:

levers-png.382257

One of the underappreciated assets of Tesla, even by many bulls, is the degree to which even Tesla under shoots on demand.

What I remember from the Model S + X rollouts, was that part of the design thinking behind Model X was that it would be a necessary second model and body style to get the combined S+X worldwide market to 20k units/year. Then Model S went off and did something like 60-80k units/year by itself. Totally undercalled that. Today, S+X are drifting back to 100k units/year despite the lowest priced model (the short range variants) having been removed from the lineup. That tells me that if Panasonic + Tesla really wanted to, they could expand the cell supply and increase the number of S+X they are selling if they really wanted to (but don't need to).

I remember from the Model 3 first day reservations, reading a story that in the internal pool on the number of reservations they'd get the first day, the craziest internal VP went with 100k. Who could imagine 100k people putting down $1,000 on a car they'd barely or not even seen yet, much yet that many of them would camp out overnight to wait in line to get early in line? My wife and I put in our reservation about 5 minutes before Elon went on stage that evening, and were something like #120k in line. They obviously were too low on the demand for Model 3.

I claim that to this day, we STILL don't know what worldwide demand for Model 3 is - it's still entering new markets. And 3 is the less popular body style - Y is coming this quarter. It's entirely reasonable to expect that the demand for Y will be significantly higher than the demand for 3.

Cybertruck reservations / demand - WAY higher than Elon and Tesla were expecting. Turns out there IS a desire for electric trucks - especially electric trucks with ridiculous specs and that can rough house.

Elon and Tesla do regularly make the point that all of this is in the context of no advertising - that the more vehicles they sell, the more owners they have showing their friends their car, and the more people there are that are explaining about electric life, and how amazing the cars are.

So far, the more they sell, the more demand there is. Clearly this virtuous cycle has to have an end to it. They only end we've seen for any of the cars so far is Roadster, S, and X - and that's because Tesla decided they were close enough to the end of the cycle that they stopped increasing supply as a company decision - not a market demand decision. And without even trying hard (advertising) to see if worldwide demand could be nudged higher.

How much of a thing can you sell, when the more of it that you sell, the more of it people want to buy?

Hmm why would a price drop ahead of subsidy re-instatement make sense?

Overall lower price is going to shift demand curve to the right but is it necessary?
I think that the reduction is due to Shanghai and Berlin. ~80% of Fremont production will go to NA soon. If the subsidy doesn't pass I think prices will drop further as Berlin goes live. If the subsidy passes, price will likely increase or at least not drop.