Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Display Car Colors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Multicoat Red M3. The car's image on the monitor's screen is also red. If my car was blue would the image be blue or are they all red? Kind of a silly question but I'm curious.

Not only should the car on the screen show up red...the app on your phone should also show up "red".

Not only should the car color be correct....your wheel selection should also be correct. If you ordered aero then your picture should show up aero on both the screen and your phone.

I have the performance white with 20" wheels and red calipers. My car didn't show up that way initially. I had to call Tesla support and they changed both my car screen and my phone app to reflect what I had.

Why do some of the red Model 3 pictures on the internet look almost as red as a Ferrari but in person are consistently more dull like dark pigment was added? I have yet to see a Model 3 in person that looks like the bright red internet pictures. Did Tesla make two shades of red? The difference is like these two color samples which are exaggerated for effect.

63AB03FF-141A-4A44-A237-8780C16CB243.png
E6C09A6F-6010-4381-A57A-7586C5C96DD3.png
F84736A0-832C-47DF-B2BC-E6F46B02DAEC.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Not only should the car on the screen show up red...the app on your phone should also show up "red".

Not only should the car color be correct....your wheel selection should also be correct. If you ordered aero then your picture should show up aero on both the screen and your phone.

I have the performance white with 20" wheels and red calipers. My car didn't show up that way initially. I had to call Tesla support and they changed both my car screen and my phone app to reflect what I had.

My phone app doesn’t show red calipers. Does yours?

I have a Multicoat Red M3. The car's image on the monitor's screen is also red. If my car was blue would the image be blue or are they all red? Kind of a silly question but I'm curious.

The screen color reflects the color of the car. There are a series of codes for each car that represents options and one set is the color. Anywhere that VIN car is displayed, either in the car, or in an online app, it will be the color in the code set for the car. Other options that are external features charge via the codes too. My Model S has a solid roof and it shows up everywhere with the body color roof.

There was a decoding tool for Model S codes where you copied a URL from your My Tesla page and put it into the decoder. It parsed out the options.

Why do some of the red Model 3 pictures on the internet look almost as red as a Ferrari but in person are consistently more dull like dark pigment was added? I have yet to see a Model 3 in person that looks like the bright red internet pictures. Did Tesla make two shades of red? The difference is like these two color samples which are exaggerated for effect.

View attachment 435239View attachment 435238View attachment 435245

I think a lot of it has to do with lighting. The Tesla red is a multicoat and can look different depending on the light. The pearl white can look different too, mine does.

The screen color reflects the color of the car. There are a series of codes for each car that represents options and one set is the color. Anywhere that VIN car is displayed, either in the car, or in an online app, it will be the color in the code set for the car. Other options that are external features charge via the codes too. My Model S has a solid roof and it shows up everywhere with the body color roof.

There was a decoding tool for Model S codes where you copied a URL from your My Tesla page and put it into the decoder. It parsed out the options.

I think a lot of it has to do with lighting. The Tesla red is a multicoat and can look different depending on the light. The pearl white can look different too, mine does.

My in-car image shows red brake calipers on my Performance 3, but my phone app doesn’t. So there are clearly still differences.