Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 DIY titanium cabin filter thumbscrew + DIY stainless air intake screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TLDR; Two zero-cost DIY mods to make cabin filter changes easy, and keep leaves/debris from getting into the HVAC box and causing the car to smell like a old gym socks.

These DIY mods are on a 2021 M3LR. Great car, but I have read/heard about cabin funk caused by wet cabin filters and/or debris rotting in the air intake, so I wanted to address these two issues before they became an issue in my M3. First up was the dreaded cabin filter cover torx screw. I knew I was going to make a thumbscrew, but as I got my side panel off, I realized Tesla had revised the cover design in my '21 by locating the screw at the BOTTOM of the cover. MUCH easier to get to! But I already had allotted the time to make a thumbscrew, and it reduces the task to a tool-free operation. The overall height of the thumbscrew clears the cover by about 1/4". So this is it installed:

BF9515F1-852B-4F32-AAB5-64779272B8B4.jpeg

The thumb screw is made of titanium (very lightweight) and was turned on my '66 14" swing rockwood lathe. I used a die grinder bit and a rotary table + drill press to cut the scallops in the side of the knob. I wasn't planning on cutting the scallops this deep but it became useful since the knob is quite close to a protruding ledge of the box at the bottom so the depth works well in this application.
89799B6F-BFFB-429F-9BE3-9A70B72F177F.jpeg

I TIG welded a screw similar to the factory one (in case I ruined the first one) to the end of the knob using SB as filler, since it works well at joining dissimilar metals. Total cost: $0
D5634A98-0BC2-4D3A-A190-8F00EB251F97.jpeg

To address the likely event of debris making it through the air intake and into the HVAC box, I decided against getting some rando Amazon screen or filter. Instead, I cut some stainless mesh, that I had left over from restoring a '55 Triumph motorcycle front brake plate, to the same size/shape of the O.D. of the bottom of the intake horn. Instead of using some type of adhesive, I used a pencil torch to heat the screen, a couple inches at a time, right next to the plastic, while applying pressure on the screen toward the plastic. As the screen melted into the plastic, I rolled the now soft plastic over the screen, locking into place permanently.
F0CA938E-028C-4AAA-ABD0-0320333902F9.jpeg

This is a view from the top of the intake horn.
C21B4D91-A67D-42D8-B75D-217FC7B51847.jpeg

Installed view with the top cover still off. It should be easier to clean the debris out of here rather than further down in the HVAC box. Total cost $0
EC8C282A-4C5D-452B-9739-966F85F1BE3E.jpeg

There are probably a hundred ways to get these two jobs done besides how I did them. I know amazon and ebay have us covered for most of this stuff, but it is kinda fun to see if DIY can be done better than or at least equal to mass produced items. OR maybe I just hunt for things to do since this car is so utterly brilliant as it is. :-D Anyhow I welcome your feedback and hope this post inspires other DIY-ers .
Best regards, Dan.

Giving you another bump here for a little more visibility. While I agree with @Dolemite that your "typical" tesla owner isnt really the DIY crowd, these cars also attract a lot of engineering types, etc (I wouldnt be surprised in the least if OPs background was in engineering, or fabrication, etc).

I like seeing stuff like this, and its "extra points" in my book that its not a post that says "You wont believe what I did! Check it out at my youtube channel, like and subscribe" (lol).

Again, really nice work, OP.

Wish I had more time to publish detailed DIY videos for people on here. These are the easiest cars I’ve ever worked on and there’s no reason that with a big enough DIY community, we couldn’t completely wrestle control from the likes of Elon. The more the merrier.

Reactions: medphys3
Wish I had more time to publish detailed DIY videos for people on here. These are the easiest cars I’ve ever worked on and there’s no reason that with a big enough DIY community, we couldn’t completely wrestle control from the likes of Elon. The more the merrier.

This right here. Tesla Model 3s are basically snap together cars.

I recently replaced my driver's side air vent vent assembly and it took more time editing the video than it did to do the job.

Reactions: ss71 and Dolemite
Looks like a great solution to keep mice out of the duct system also. I'm struggling with this as I introduce a new Y to the motor pool. Just pulled a 7" (+ tail) dead rat from my wife's Rav4 cabin filter. Nasty! Also have had nibbled wiring on my Mini. I understand Tesla likes soy based wire insulation. Does anyone have suggestions to protect wiring here?