TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

M3 due to arrive today, 580-mile trip tomorrow: Am I crazy?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Gardyloo, Dec 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Gardyloo

Gardyloo Member

This is my first post and my first Tesla, an M3, long range, AWD. I did not determine when it would arrive, of course, but my wife and I really want to be with our daughter in Atlanta for Christmas so tomorrow is the travel day whether we like it or not: Little Rock to Monroe on the other side of Atlanta. We could take our other car, a Prius, but that's not gonna happen unless you guys convince me taking the M3 is crazy. So any advice for me? Bad idea? No problem? I've done a reasonable amount of time planning this, but there is a lot I don't know. The plan is to stop at SCs in Memphis, Tupelo, Birmingham, and Oxford (AL).

• Love x 2
    • Like x 1
  2. ZappCatt

ZappCatt Member

#2 ZappCatt, Dec 23, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    DO IT!

I find A Better Route Planner is a pretty solid website to evaluate trips and Supercharger stops: A Better Routeplanner

I also check out the specific Supercharger threads here on Tesla MotorsClub to get an "insider view" of what is available at each, and what potential "hidden gems" might just be out of site.: North America

3. RandomX

RandomX Member

Not taking your new Model 3 would be crazy!

• Like x 5
  4. MountainRatMat

Not crazy at all, just be a little conservative at the superchargers and have even more remaining charge at the next supercharger than you think you need. It just calms the nerves when you are driving a brand new car that has a different fueling strategy. Once you drive it more you'll get used to the nuances.

Enjoy and let us know how it goes!

5. onshi

onshi Member

Bring a pee bottle. If it’s 3 am and your supercharger isn’t anywhere near a public restroom or a Denny’s, and you fear getting the stink eye at a gas station, the pee bottle will come in handy.

• Funny x 1
  6. Rogue Synapse

Rogue Synapse Member

What a great way to get to know your new car! Of course you’re not crazy!

7. SMAlset

SMAlset Well-Known Member

Only thing I would strongly suggest is to stop at a Supercharger to before leaving (hopefully have one nearby) to verify you can Supercharge (ie no issues with the charge port).

Also in case people aren't aware, you need to add a credit card to your account if you haven't already done so that when you go to Supercharge the Tesla system can do the payment portion.

Since there's no motor to gently break in like in an ICE car, you should be good to go. Maybe pack some bug spray to clean your car if that's going to be an issue traveling south.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  8. neurocutie

neurocutie Member

be sure to register a referral to get the 1000mi of Supercharging

9. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

Superchargers have been known to get backed up during major holidays. Check the number of available stalls at the various superchargers on your route and try to avoid the congested ones. Some people have had to wait hours for a charging port to open up.

• Love x 1
  10. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Well-Known Member

I didn't look at the route, from what I remember, you should be okay. Getting the Birmingham charger is probably still an issue since I think that the Interstate is still missing. If you can make it to Anniston, it will be a easier stop.

11. Gardyloo

Gardyloo Member

Thanks to you all for really good points of advice.

I think the Birmingham SC will work out because it's right on the route i normally take to bridge the gap in interstates, but I'll double check.

I'll check the charger situation at Birmingham before leaving Tupelo, thanks for the heads up. But it's Alabama, not S CA l!! :)

Good idea to try out the local SC (the only one in AR, and it's only a few miles away). To see if I can do it and whether my credit card is properly in the system...it's listed in my Tesla app.

I will definitely check out ABTP later but my hands will be full on this trip. I have tried it out on my computer and it certainly adds a lot over the Tesla app.

Will register my referral as soon as I can figure out how!

And I'll definitely be conservative until I have figured out what to expect with my driving style. With my Prius I know that there is a rapid drop-off in mileage above 65 mph, will be interested in how the M3 compares on this point. I'm sure this has been discussed but I have not seen it yet.

12. swaltner

swaltner Active Member

In general, keep it to the speed limit and you should be fine. If there’s ever any question about range, just slow down 5 mph. Do that early in the leg and 5 mph might be all that’s needed. Do it when you’re 3/4 of the way through the leg and more drastic slowdowns will be needed.

The energy app on the screen is good to keep track of your progress. The Trip page on that shows how you’re proceeding compared to the prediction for the current leg. The Consumption page shows you you efficiency over the last 5/15/30 miles.

13. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

If you have a chance, take pics at the superchargers you stop at - nice memory of your trip.....

14. realvvk

realvvk Member

I would recommend checking that you can supercharge before going.

15. MarkBrokeIt

MarkBrokeIt Supporting Member