Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Efficiency -> Trip B

What is your lifetime M3 efficiency?

• less than 240

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • 240 to 250

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • 250 to 260

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • 260 to 270

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • 270 to 280

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • 280 to 290

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • 290 to 300

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • 300 to 310

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • 310 to 320

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • 320 to 330

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • 330 to 340

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Over 340

Votes: 11 19.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NewbieT

Aug 16, 2019
North West
Do you have an M3 SR+ ?

To keep this consistent please don't use Teslafi or the OBD port.

If you've never reset Trip B, what is your average Wh/mi?

Untitled.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Roy W.
Mine is 301 over 3000 miles but the electricity used based on recorded charger consumption is about 390 so nearly 30‰ for charger loss, preheat, sentry etc. Irrelevant for range but interesting if trying to work out true average pence per mile cost

Reactions: Roy W.
After 3000miles I’m still over 380 for my overall average wh/mi.

I’ve mentioned it in a previous topic, but I find it impossible to get under 300 on any journey, even when not using the potential of the car, heating switched off, etc :/
I am also on just over 3000 miles since November and I am averaging about 300
What kind of journeys do you do, short? motorway? do you preheat? do you have regen set on standard and do you use it to full advantage?
I never see under 300 on short journeys ( <10 miles) from cold or on motorway journeys (without traffic) but I do a lot of long non-motorway journeys and regularly see under 300 on those. So it depends very much on the sort of journeys you do especially at this time of year.
One thing we don't talk too much about is regen aside from how it doesn't work when the battery is cold. I drive quite quickly but since I got the Tesla I have still been accelerating hard ( probably harder :) ), still driving at the same speed but lifting off sooner to let the regen do most of the braking work to the point where in normal driving I never use the brakes unless I misjudge or something unexpected happens. I assume this is making a huge difference to my efficiency but have not bothered to conduct any experiments to find out.

I find it impossible to get under 300 on any journey

It's about consistency of speed and going straight.

If you are on bendy roads and traffic lights, good luck getting below 380.

My commute has a 2 mile motorway stretch before I get to the office and the efficiency of the 10 miles prior to that is around 380, after the motorway miles it hits 300.

If all your trips are inner London...

Those with 245 or below are on long motorway stretches doing 70 or below.

Honestly I find these kind of metrics largely a waste of time. You only need high efficiency if you are doing distances and a lifetime efficiency is pointless - even from a costs point of view it does not record KWh spent in total for all the other things.

It would have to be! that's very impressive. You can't be doing a lot of pre-heating either because you are going to lose at least 10% between the charger and the battery and that's if using a 32 amp. if its a UMC you will be near 15% just on that alone.

I've tracked input kWh:
426 kWh DC
1932 kWh AC - mostly at 7kW
2358 kWh Total

Usually charge to 80%. I don't use Sentry at home or work..At home Sentry is only turned on for 5 mins if there's a motion activation on the Ring. I do pre-heat most mornings and the battery is cold soaked - usually 50% regen in the morning.

I'm thinking my 314 wh/mi is starting to look a little high. Better put some air in the tyres (40 psi oops -> 42 psi) and think about digging out the aero hubcaps (nah!).

The interest in this thread for me is the real world efficiencies people typically get - think the honest john website. but for batteries.

I've tracked input kWh:
426 kWh DC
1932 kWh AC - mostly at 7kW
2358 kWh Total

Usually charge to 80%. I don't use Sentry at home or work..At home Sentry is only turned on for 5 mins if there's a motion activation on the Ring. I do pre-heat most mornings and the battery is cold soaked - usually 50% regen in the morning.

I'm thinking my 314 wh/mi is starting to look a little high. Better put some air in the tyres (40 psi oops -> 42 psi) and think about digging out the aero hubcaps (nah!).

The interest in this thread for me is the real world efficiencies people typically get - think the honest john website. but for batteries.
If the 426 DC Tesla Supercharging? if it is then it will skew the figures since it only records the KWh actually stuffed into the battery so it is not a true measure of overall efficiency. They are just now changing to include losses in the car like HVAC etc but even then there is no way to know how much AC has actually been consumed in total