Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 equivalent "Econ" or Regenerative Braking modes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm relatively new to the Tesla world and coming from a Leaf. Do current Teslas have an "Econ" mode that tones down the acceleration profile or "B"/Regerative braking mode? Is it even needed or would be in the M3? Just a curious thought.

It has a 'Valet' mode to turn down acceleration, but that's for a different purpose.

On the Tesla, Regenerative Braking Mode is always on - I don't know why the Leaf has an option to turn that off. Supposedly so that people who come from an ICE doesn't have a jarring experience, but it takes 2 hours to get used to and then it's actually better.

It has a 'Valet' mode to turn down acceleration, but that's for a different purpose.

On the Tesla, Regenerative Braking Mode is always on - I don't know why the Leaf has an option to turn that off. Supposedly so that people who come from an ICE doesn't have a jarring experience, but it takes 2 hours to get used to and then it's actually better.
Thanks! I actually drive with both ECON and B modes all the time. So when I take ECON off it feels like I got 'turbo'. I love B mode so I brake less. I'm sure ICEs behind me don't really enjoy it. Ha.

Reactions: eisbock
The Leaf doesn't turn regen off, it just changes how aggressive it is (i.e., whether it applies any time you let your foot off the gas, or only when you apply the brakes). It annoys me that the default is brake only, and I have to change it to "B" mode every time I start the car. It's also very confusing that "B" mode (regen all the time) and Eco (less aggressive acceleration) are separate settings, with different UI for selecting them. I originally took it to mean that "B" mode was just for making the car slow down, and then shift back to "D" for normal driving (kind of like down-shifting a manual), when you can really leave it in "B" all the time.

Model S as Standard and Low regen. Standard is relatively heavy regen. Low is much less regen, about the same drag as an automatic transmission, so the car slows only a little on lifting off the throttle. Not sure what model 3 will do, but probably it will do something similar.

The Leaf doesn't turn regen off, it just changes how aggressive it is (i.e., whether it applies any time you let your foot off the gas, or only when you apply the brakes). It annoys me that the default is brake only, and I have to change it to "B" mode every time I start the car.

Yeah, that is really annoying. It's a "safety" thing according to the dealer we got it from. But it's SO much better in "B" mode.

I just hate it when car manufacturers think they know what is best for you. It's like Nissan tries to be really apologetic for the Leaf. (Don't get me started on those little trees). Where in reality the Leaf is a better car than a lot of ICE's. It should embrace the differences in driving dynamics - not hide them. Tesla certainly got this one right.

I'm relatively new to the Tesla world, coming from a Leaf, a M3 reservation holder and originally posted this in the M3 section but wanted to get feedback from current MS owners or people in the know: Do current Teslas have an "Econ" mode that tones down the acceleration profile or "B"/Regenerative braking mode? Is the ability to turn off these modes needed? Thanks!

No econ mode that I know of.

For regen, you have two options: normal and low. It has been a while since I had my Leaf, but to me it seems that normal is pretty close to the Leaf's B mode. I remember the Leaf's regen being fairly constant, whereas with my S it seems to vary a little with my speed as I slow down, but I have found it be be pretty intuitive. I have only had the S for 5 days, but I am used to it at this point and can modulate the throttle to do pretty much all the braking I need.

A related feature of the S that is unavailable on the Leaf is the ability to turn creep mode off. I really like this.

There is a "range mode" available, but it doesn't change acceleration or braking. It tones down the HVAC system and does something with the battery heater.

If you want to save energy by accelerating slower, it's easy to just modulate your foot instead. Don't smash the go pedal, and you'll accelerate less and use less energy.

It's fun to drive behind someone who obviously just picked up their first Model S. It's like they're driving with their foot on the brake and accelerator at the same time :).

Doesn't take long before you change habits and "ease" of the accelerator instead.
Haha - I know that the folks behind me in my test drive of the Model S must have enjoyed my erratic acceleration. I'm sure I'll get used to it once I get the car. Just a matter of time for my Model 3...

@ngnphoto depending on what you're trying to accomplish there are various settings in the Model S.

If you're looking at extending Range on a trip, switch to range mode.

If you want less aggressive regenerative braking, switch this to Low... (Standard is the stronger regen braking and Low (I think that's the setting) allows one to cruise when taking your foot off the accelerator.)

Not quite the same as on the Leaf, but achieves similar purpose.

I'm relatively new to the Tesla world, coming from a Leaf, a M3 reservation holder and originally posted this in the M3 section but wanted to get feedback from current MS owners or people in the know: Do current Teslas have an "Econ" mode that tones down the acceleration profile or "B"/Regenerative braking mode? Is the ability to turn off these modes needed? Thanks!
As someone who had a Leaf and now has a Model S, I really don't think you'll need an eco mode. The difference in range between the two cars is greater than it appears on paper. The extra range is so much greater that the emotional distress of Range Anxiety in the Leaf is all but gone. There have been only two occasions I can recall where I ever had that nagging feeling of range anxiety, which I felt almost weekly in the Leaf.

I put the regen into "normal" mode, which is the stronger mode, and just use less throttle. It's really easy to drive the Tesla in an efficient manner without hobbling the car with Eco mode. The main thing that bothered me about Eco mode on the Leaf is that I never felt like I'd have the power needed to accelerate myself out of an accident. It felt like I was putting myself into some amount of danger to electronically limit the car in a way that I could replicate by just driving more efficiently.

My impression is that the Tesla accelerator is power mapped, much like the LEAF Eco setting. Holding the go pedal at a given position will give the same power until you move your foot. The difference is that there is much more power covered in the mapping so the acceleration feels a lot more brisk.That is, the kW levels represented by the position of the pedal are much closer together. This gives spirited performance that also allows very precise speed control. This is on a plain vanilla S. It might be different on a performance model.

And I can say with confidence, standard regen in the Model S is MUCH stronger than any regen setting in the LEAF; it's not even close. If the battery isn't cold, my Model S will come nearly to a stop on regen when going down a 14% grade. Put it in neutral and the car takes off like a roller coaster going "over the top!" It is much nicer to descend steep hills with Model S regen than it was when driving the LEAF. The regen on the go pedal on the Tesla is strong enough that I don't have to use the brake pedal at all except to hold the car stationary at a stop light or in case of panic stops for deer or other maximum stop situations, which are rare.

@ngnphoto depending on what you're trying to accomplish there are various settings in the Model S.

Thanks! As I'm waiting for my M3, just curious on the difference in operating to get the best range. However, in my daily commute, I won't really have any range issues so I can drive freely. Seems from other responses in this thread and this other one that the modes were done right by Tesla.

The main thing that bothered me about Eco mode on the Leaf is that I never felt like I'd have the power needed to accelerate myself out of an accident. It felt like I was putting myself into some amount of danger to electronically limit the car in a way that I could replicate by just driving more efficiently.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I always drive with B/Econ so when I need that extra burst, turn off Econ, so psychologically, it feels like a "boost" rather than the "norm".