Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 faulty charging cable???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed today when I unplugged that the plug on my lead (charger end) was really warm and that one of the pins had gone brown.
Is this normal or is it a faulty lead or charger socket.

Attachments

• 1F0C2DC3-EAA3-437A-936D-D4199D4F97A2.jpeg
    1F0C2DC3-EAA3-437A-936D-D4199D4F97A2.jpeg
    262.4 KB · Views: 85
  • F6128A9B-AAB4-4A07-903F-72E3AFD15C8F.jpeg
    F6128A9B-AAB4-4A07-903F-72E3AFD15C8F.jpeg
    369.9 KB · Views: 36
When I was experiencing severe crackling and such from my charger for a good few months, multiple investigations into the cause (which ended up being the charger itself) never came up with any brown pins like that....so i'd suspect that it is shorting somehow?

I use my cable quite often and I don't have any browning of the pins. Do you use the same charger? As said above it could be the charger that's causing this or the cable.

View attachment 820412
Thanks for that.
I only use one charger (other than my home charger which is a tethered cable).
It’s a podpoint which I never had a problem with my Peugeot e208. My M3 starts charging at 30amps then drops to 16amps.
It now looks like it’s a problem with socket B (which I was plugged into yesterday), I plugged into socket A today and it charged at a constant 30amps 🤔

Reactions: init6
Thanks for that.
I only use one charger (other than my home charger which is a tethered cable).
It’s a podpoint which I never had a problem with my Peugeot e208. My M3 starts charging at 30amps then drops to 16amps.
It now looks like it’s a problem with socket B (which I was plugged into yesterday), I plugged into socket A today and it charged at a constant 30amps 🤔
That's almost certainly dropping down charge rate due to overheating. Tesla monitors the heat to make sure hot and browning doesn't turn into anything worse.

Is the cable the one which came with the M3?

That's almost certainly dropping down charge rate due to overheating. Tesla monitors the heat to make sure hot and browning doesn't turn into anything worse.

Is the cable the one which came with the M3?
Yes it the Mennekes cable that came with the car - I emailed them today and they have said the discolouration of the end cap is most often caused by a problem with the charger socket rather than the cable itself.

Yes it the Mennekes cable that came with the car - I emailed them today and they have said the discolouration of the end cap is most often caused by a problem with the charger socket rather than the cable itself.
Naturally they did and I would fully expect the charger company, to say that it is most often caused by a faulty cable rather than the charger socket itself...

Tough one to win this.