Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Faulty matrix headlight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving home today and noticed the running light on the drivers side headlight wasn't on and turns out the whole light is dead. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem? And if so how was it fixed? I am hoping a relatively speedy ranger visit could be arranged, although past experience suggests this might be hopeful. Any thoughts on lead times for this would be appreciated. Thanks. Its a 2020 refresh M3 with the Matrix lights.

Driving home today and noticed the running light on the drivers side headlight wasn't on and turns out the whole light is dead. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem? And if so how was it fixed? I am hoping a relatively speedy ranger visit could be arranged, although past experience suggests this might be hopeful. Any thoughts on lead times for this would be appreciated. Thanks. Its a 2020 refresh M3 with the Matrix lights.
I assume it is illegal to drive a car with only 1 headlight at night? In which case the car is not roadworthy so you could maybe use that to get it prioritised.
If the service centre won't help then call roadside assist and ask for a hire car/loaner on the basis your car is undrivable. That usually focuses their attention :).

Reactions: Kenners
I had similar happen in Feb. December 2020 refresh LR.

The DRL was OK, indicator too, but the headlight and main beam functions were dead. Tried reset, leaving overnight etc. I raised a service request and had the faulty headlight unit replaced at the Glasgow SC under warranty. There was a delay of a couple of days for the appointment.

Weirdly, they also had to carry out a software update to get the new unit to work - I think that caused some consternation among the engineers and delayed the repair by an hour or so (I waited for the repair, expecting it to be a half hour).

I had similar happen in Feb. December 2020 refresh LR.

The DRL was OK, indicator too, but the headlight and main beam functions were dead. Tried reset, leaving overnight etc. I raised a service request and had the faulty headlight unit replaced at the Glasgow SC under warranty. There was a delay of a couple of days for the appointment.

Weirdly, they also had to carry out a software update to get the new unit to work - I think that caused some consternation among the engineers and delayed the repair by an hour or so (I waited for the repair, expecting it to be a half hour).
Makes me wonder if they had done the software update before they swapped the lights maybe the old one would have worked too!

Makes me wonder if they had done the software update before they swapped the lights maybe the old one would have worked too!
That did occur to me, but the feedback I got wasn't detailed enough to confirm one way or another. The car was updated to the newest public version before going in, and it reported the same version afterward. I suppose the update might have been a patch to the lighting operation part of last the system only, or even just to the firmware on the light unit itself.

Reactions: Adopado
When we had homelink installed, I was notified that the SC were reinstalling a firmware update. It was the identical one.

It took quite a while (causing them to run out of time and defer some work) and at the time felt too long for just configuration or just a small patch, like now with entertainment updates which are reported as installing the same version.

From my recollection at the time it was needed to make the car recognise a new bit of hardware. Whether it also included new ‘drivers’ for the hardware too I am unsure but it wouldn’t surprise me. Whether this would be needed for a like for like swap is anyones guess. I’m surprised that a reboot and/config tweak isn’t enough to get the car to recognise a change in hardware. Maybe the replacement light is different enough to warrant more than a reboot or simply Tesla playing it safe and belt and braces update in hope that it would fix the issue - plenty of reports of identical firmware being pushed in an attempt to fix a problem.

Reactions: Horatio Alger
Ok, so it's working again today. Very annoying. What was strange was there was no warning light on or anything. Wonder if its a lose connection or software? Will keep service booked. Maybe they will have a look if I pop round, not too far from a service centre.

I had one of mine replaced in January. It did come back on a few times during the weeks I was waiting for the service centre appointment, but was dead on appointment day.

Stupidly on my part and due to some confusion/distraction over the service centre temporary pin to use the vehicle, I didn't double check it was working when I picked up. Turns out it wasn't. They said that the light hadn't been coded to the car and they pushed an update remotely which resolved the issue and thankfully all's been well since.

• Informative
I have the exact same problem. Took delivery 1 week ago and everything was fine except yesterday morning i saw that my drivers day headlights dont work. I booked a service on my app and tesla is going to come and fix it on tuesday!

Ps: sorry im not from uk/ireland but hope this helps you folks out there

Speaking of matrix headlights. Am I correct that Tesla STILL need to push an update which makes these headlines actually have matrix features and right now only serves as a “dumb matrix headline”?
Yes, but given the standard lights are barely fit for purpose I’m not holding my breath. The auto wipers have improved significantly over the last few years (though they’re still not great) but the auto lights don’t seem to have improved at all, even on MIC cars.