Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Front Plate in Seattle Area

Have front plate in Seattle area?

• Yes

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • No

Votes: 28 62.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm new in town with a Model 3. Just got my WA state plate.
Of all the 3 I see in town, most do not have a front plate. I know the law but wonder if I should help the scene by taken off my front bracket and plate.

The Bellevue PD twitter said no front plate was a primary offense. I thought it was a secondary offense, meaning they can’t stop you for no front plate and ticket you, but if they stop you for something else, they can ticket you for no front plate. But I see that’s not correct and it’s indeed a primary offense.

I didn’t have a front plate for the first 6 months or so of owning my Model 3. I didn’t get stopped. I did drive to Canada a few times and each time crossing the border in both directions, the customs agent asked me about my front plate. They didn’t hassle me but they did ask and I figured I should put one on; the less reason to have a problem at the border the better.

I put on a removable plate holder (OttoSteer) and now I just leave it on. I take the plate off when I wash the car.

• Informative
Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
PS. I have owned Porsches over the years here in WA and didn’t put on a front plate. Never stopped or cited. And when I did get a speeding ticket in my Porsche, I didn’t get cited for no front plate then either. My wife has a Porsche now, no front plate, no problems (so far).

I know it's less and less of thing as there are more tesla's on the road nowadays. It used to be that we wave at each other.

I noticed while driving here on the road of Seattle, with my front plate one, only the guys/gals also have theirs on will wave at me. :D

• Funny
Reactions: Salvo
I noticed that too, very surprised it's considered a primary offense. I guess they figured people with nice cars are easy picking so this has become another revenue source.

Or they're enforcing the law... you can't bitch about them issuing tickets for things that are against the law...

If you have an issue you can petition to have the law changed and maybe you'll get enough support...

Not a 3 owner, but I saw someone at the ellensburg SC who put the plate inside, propped up against the computer screen. I don’t know, if it’s legit enough, but....

Not a 3 owner, but I saw someone at the ellensburg SC who put the plate inside, propped up against the computer screen. I don’t know, if it’s legit enough, but....

The RCW says that the plate "must be attached conspicuously at the front and rear," must "be able to be plainly seen and read," and can't be more than 4 feet from the ground. The first two requirements could be up for some interpretation in this case. But, as others said, I also wouldn't want that flying around at head level in a crash, and I think it looks stupid when people put their front plate on the dash. That being said, I wasn't keen on drilling into the front bumper of my MX, so I sucked it up and bought a removable bracket that clamps on to the grill louvers inside the air intake (works without blocking the air intake).

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf