TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

M3 Front Plate in Seattle Area

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by chevycc, Dec 4, 2019.

?

Have front plate in Seattle area?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. No

28 vote(s)
    63.6%
  1. chevycc

chevycc Member

I'm new in town with a Model 3. Just got my WA state plate.
    Of all the 3 I see in town, most do not have a front plate. I know the law but wonder if I should help the scene by taken off my front bracket and plate.

2. marksvend

marksvend Member

3. sir-murphius

sir-murphius Member

Eastsider here, no front plate since mid 2018 and no tickets. Hope I didn’t just jinx myself but I as well see a ton of vehicles without a front plate.

4. N8DGR8

N8DGR8 Member

At my wife's request to not permanently install the license plate, I used to put our on with the removable bracket when we crossed the border. At some point I just gave up and left it on.

5. wenkan

wenkan Member

I bought a removable bracket and leave it home.
    Is it always checked at the border?

6. bsilva

bsilva Member

The Bellevue PD twitter said no front plate was a primary offense. I thought it was a secondary offense, meaning they can’t stop you for no front plate and ticket you, but if they stop you for something else, they can ticket you for no front plate. But I see that’s not correct and it’s indeed a primary offense.

I didn’t have a front plate for the first 6 months or so of owning my Model 3. I didn’t get stopped. I did drive to Canada a few times and each time crossing the border in both directions, the customs agent asked me about my front plate. They didn’t hassle me but they did ask and I figured I should put one on; the less reason to have a problem at the border the better.

I put on a removable plate holder (OttoSteer) and now I just leave it on. I take the plate off when I wash the car.

• Informative x 1
  7. bsilva

bsilva Member

PS. I have owned Porsches over the years here in WA and didn’t put on a front plate. Never stopped or cited. And when I did get a speeding ticket in my Porsche, I didn’t get cited for no front plate then either. My wife has a Porsche now, no front plate, no problems (so far).

8. hmmwv

hmmwv Member

I noticed that too, very surprised it's considered a primary offense. I guess they figured people with nice cars are easy picking so this has become another revenue source.

9. chevycc

chevycc Member

I know it's less and less of thing as there are more tesla's on the road nowadays. It used to be that we wave at each other.

I noticed while driving here on the road of Seattle, with my front plate one, only the guys/gals also have theirs on will wave at me. :D

• Funny x 1
  10. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Not a 3 owner but decided to cast my vote and reply anyway. :p

No front plate here either. No issues in the 3+ years of ownership. I don't often park on streets or other visible places though.

11. acarney

acarney Active Member

Or they're enforcing the law... you can't bitch about them issuing tickets for things that are against the law...

If you have an issue you can petition to have the law changed and maybe you'll get enough support...

12. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

Only Confederate Rebels roll without a front plate.

• Funny x 1
  13. SteveG

SteveG New Member

Not exactly in the Seattle area (Bellingham), but drive there occasionally. Here's an 'OK, Boomer' opinion for you - I actually think it looks better with the front plate on.

14. acarney

acarney Active Member

They let you drive legally blind? :p

• Funny x 6
  15. im.thatoneguy

im.thatoneguy Member

I don't have a garage so I would definitely get a ticket parked every day.

16. ReddyLeaf

ReddyLeaf Active Member

Not a 3 owner, but I saw someone at the ellensburg SC who put the plate inside, propped up against the computer screen. I don’t know, if it’s legit enough, but....

17. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

This definitely doesn't look more stupid than just having the front plate installed properly o_O

• Funny x 1
  18. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

It’s probably more legit than not having one but is a safety hazard in a crash.

• Informative x 1
  19. hmmwv

hmmwv Member

No kidding, I wouldn't want to have a sharp piece of metal flying into my face in a crash.

20. DustWindDude

DustWindDude Member

The RCW says that the plate "must be attached conspicuously at the front and rear," must "be able to be plainly seen and read," and can't be more than 4 feet from the ground. The first two requirements could be up for some interpretation in this case. But, as others said, I also wouldn't want that flying around at head level in a crash, and I think it looks stupid when people put their front plate on the dash. That being said, I wasn't keen on drilling into the front bumper of my MX, so I sucked it up and bought a removable bracket that clamps on to the grill louvers inside the air intake (works without blocking the air intake).

• Informative x 1