Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Frunk Clip Reinforcement Fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, just got my M3 LR AWD today, soooo excited and happy. Little things here and there that needs to be address but not a deal breaker. I was lucky with my delivery.

Anywho, I started inspecting everything, opening, closing, taking this off, taking that off, etc. I removed and tried to put the maintenance panel back in the frunk, but I noticed it wasn't clipping correctly all the way. Did some research and found that the frunk clip reinforcement is poorly designed and breaks easily. I could of just asked for another one at the Tesla SC, but it will still leave me in the same situation later on when it breaks again. Need a more permanent solution.

All you need are five items, 4 paper clips and electrical tape. See pictures below, I'm sure others have run into this issue. Not the prettiest but it gets the job done and it's hidden under the panel anyways. Installed the frunk clip reinforcements back, and poof it works like a charm.

Cheers.

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    44.4 KB · Views: 367
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    47.5 KB · Views: 270
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    65.1 KB · Views: 273
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    53.9 KB · Views: 276
I have developed a reinforcement piece (3D printed] that fits inside the Tesla part number 1131205-00-C to reinforce or repair it. It is designed so it can be glued in with RTV, CA glue or whatever or you can back drill through the provided holes and put in a couple of small screws or bolts with nuts as your heart desires. Here is a photo of it slid into place.

Attachments

• CDE22ACC-2790-495F-90D9-D62AC46A8F38.jpeg
    CDE22ACC-2790-495F-90D9-D62AC46A8F38.jpeg
    512.8 KB · Views: 238
I have developed a reinforcement piece (3D printed] that fits inside the Tesla part number 1131205-00-C to reinforce or repair it. It is designed so it can be glued in with RTV, CA glue or whatever or you can back drill through the provided holes and put in a couple of small screws or bolts with nuts as your heart desires. Here is a photo of it slid into place.
You could just upload it to Thingiverse and post the link here. Currently printing the other one, but would print a pair of these and show a comparison.. I was gonna make the ones you made but just too busy to mess around in tinkercad to get them to fit.

That support bracket is an odd design, I would not be surprised to find most are broken. It does almost look like it was designed to break, I don't understand why it would be designed like that.

As an alternative, I just used a hot glue gun to re-glue mine back together. I then used extra glue to add reinforcement between the top and bottom sections. Was a quick, cheap and effective solution for me.

Here is a link to Thingiverse.
I think I got it in there… (new user)

Reactions: eglove and jvoisin
That support bracket is an odd design, I would not be surprised to find most are broken. It does almost look like it was designed to break, I don't understand why it would be designed like that.

As an alternative, I just used a hot glue gun to re-glue mine back together. I then used extra glue to add reinforcement between the top and bottom sections. Was a quick, cheap and effective solution for me.

My speculation is it is it is an intentional design to allow the frunk lid to collapse further in order to comply with European pedestrian impact safety standards.

Reactions: Irata
I was just bit by this too. I fail to see how these two pieces, should they be more structural, would somehow cause fatalities given the fact that most accidents occur laterally from side to side or from the front, and not from the top down. Also, with all those flimsy plastic cover pieces that cover up the frunk area, there is no real structural integrity provided by those, they are cosmetic/weather covers and nothing else.

Mine were broken by the tech after installing the HomeLink module. I have a service appointment for replacements (and to correct the now-misaligned bumper cover). When I look at the broken parts it really looks like there are designed to fail. It seems to me that it must be a very small? part of the collision system.

Now that I've taken the suggestions listed above and reinforced the poorly designed 1131205-00-C clips on my 2023 M3LR, I have noticed that the same Fronk Rear Apron has another two Apron Trim Clips closer to the windshield that also don't engaged with the holes in the ASY Cowl Screen. The Cowl Screen is very floppy and provides no support to help the trim clips snap in place. Does anyone have a fix for this, other than screwing a steel plate behind the Cowl Screen?

Hi all, just got my M3 LR AWD today, soooo excited and happy. Little things here and there that needs to be address but not a deal breaker. I was lucky with my delivery.

Anywho, I started inspecting everything, opening, closing, taking this off, taking that off, etc. I removed and tried to put the maintenance panel back in the frunk, but I noticed it wasn't clipping correctly all the way. Did some research and found that the frunk clip reinforcement is poorly designed and breaks easily. I could of just asked for another one at the Tesla SC, but it will still leave me in the same situation later on when it breaks again. Need a more permanent solution.

All you need are five items, 4 paper clips and electrical tape. See pictures below, I'm sure others have run into this issue. Not the prettiest but it gets the job done and it's hidden under the panel anyways. Installed the frunk clip reinforcements back, and poof it works like a charm.

Cheers.
Just used your hack, Thanks for the tip!

Here is a link to Thingiverse.
I think I got it in there… (new user)

Thanks for doing this. I bought some made via Xometry as well as the other one from Thingiverse - the cone style ones that slip over the clips. Your design is interesting, it seemed like it wasn't the load bearing part of the clip unless it is bolted in through both holes. There's enough of a gap where the 2 plastic "tabs" could still break under enough force. The cone style one seems to act as the load bearing element by itself. The original plastic clip is just there to keep the cone in place.