Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone use their frunk on a regular basis? Had the car since March and never used the Frunk, which still has the cables supplied by Tesla. I assume its made of aluminium I don't want to put a mild dent opening and closing and lot easier to use the boot. What do people keep in their frunk and is it worth adding a motor to open and close? May put the tyre inflator and jack pads in there...

I use mine for anything smelly or dirty. So muddy trainers/boots after a walk or take away meals.
Keeps the car smelling fresher and cleaner inside.
Used it weekly for the last 12 months with no adverse effect on the bonnet panel.
Just follow the advice when closing (push down with both hands either side of the latch firmly).

citation needed
The frunk can be opened via a cable behind the front towing cover. This is a safety feature so emergency services can access the HV battery cutout. Shhh, don’t tell the thieves!

I fitted a powered frunk kit, which opens and closes the frunk at the touch of a button. Works a treat and means I don’t have to touch the bonnet. I reverse park in bays so I use the frunk for smaller shopping trips.

Reactions: Jacks11 and Durzel
Used mine TWICE in the three years I've had it! Once to put the cables in and the second time to open it using the new electric opener to try it out. Had a motorised lid opener installed (along with the boot opener) but was a waste of money for the front. Haven't opened it since (and windscreen washer fluid still working fine!).

Reactions: Jacks11
citation needed
I use it every time when commuting. Partner uses it similarly and we also use the Frunk to quickly put small shopping away especially it it's likely to roll about in the big boot. Curry hooks can help to keep bags upright.

You're right to be sceptical and now I am confident using the Frunk for cables.

Firmware update
(first video) some time ago has fixed problem previously reported. So even older cars should be safe now (my guess). I will no longer fear for my curry being stolen.

The only times I use the Frunk for cables is when car is in "family holiday mode" and I can't get into the hole under the boot floor. Normally Frunk is used for smelly food & quick access (laptop bag) from the front on commutes.

14,715 views 6 Apr 2020 In past firmware you could take a jump box or even a 9v battery and connect it to the wires behind the hitch tab out front and cause the frunk to open. This was a safety issue and Tesla has addressed it.

To open the funk now you need to have 1 of these two conditions:
1) Car is unlocked
2) 12v battery is completely dead

You can't unlock the car if the the 12v battery is dead. All of that comes from the 12v battery

- works when doors unlocked OR 12v dead only

tesla manual - Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla "The following steps do not open the front trunk if Model 3 is locked and has low voltage power."

I've got a powered frunk also, but I barely ever use it despite that. I've used it probably three times in 2.5 years. If I was buying again I probably wouldn't bother. I've got my emergency kit, granny charger and original numberplates in there.

As long as you're careful there's no reason you can't use it all of the time, although with a powered boot as standard I'm not sure there's much point unless you've run out of space in there.

We quite often go on family road trips, and when we do I use the frunk to store car stuff such as type 2 cable, mobile charger etc. This frees up space in the boot and lower boot for our luggage. I needed a roof box in my previous car but now we can travel with existing cargo and cabin space, which is great.

Reactions: Jacks11 and Durzel
I use my frunk regularly for shopping trips and for holiday clothing using my capacious custom-designed (Montrose) frunk bag.
From new I replaced the gas struts with stronger self-opening ones so a touch of the onscreen 'button' or two pushes on the FOB's 'bonnet' and the frunk lid opens fully. I was considering motorising the frunk, the boot has already been motorised by our own Mr H, but it was an over expensive extra.
Unfortunately the stronger gas struts need more effort to close.
To make it a little easier to close one-handed I replaced the lock closing-spring with a slightly weaker one - it's now much easier to 'clunk closed'.

I use mine for Tesco shopping bags or other large bags which I never remember carrying and have a DOH moment when I unload the shopping into the car. I like the idea about clothes in the front for example when you reverse park but then. I had this issue when I had to get my clothes for my floatation session, however it wasnt hard to simply semi park and get the things out and reverse again

I use my frunk regularly for shopping trips and for holiday clothing using my capacious custom-designed (Montrose) frunk bag.
From new I replaced the gas struts with stronger self-opening ones so a touch of the onscreen 'button' or two pushes on the FOB's 'bonnet' and the frunk lid opens fully. I was considering motorising the frunk, the boot has already been motorised by our own Mr H, but it was an over expensive extra.
Unfortunately the stronger gas struts need more effort to close.
To make it a little easier to close one-handed I replaced the lock closing-spring with a slightly weaker one - it's now much easier to 'clunk closed'.
you can simply sit on it with your bum to close

The frunk can be opened via a cable behind the front towing cover. This is a safety feature so emergency services can access the HV battery cutout. Shhh, don’t tell the thieves!
Thieves can't get in there if the car has power and the emergency services would either use the screen which would be still alive if you've had a crash, or the tow eye bypass.

If the car detects an impact or there is a fire etc then it will blow the pyro fuse in the penthouse which in turn activates the tow eye bypass, even if the car has 12v or not. Not to mention the 'jaws of life'.

Mine has my Type 2-Type2 cable, granny charger, and extension leads for the charger. Also has the Tesla emergency kit, french yellow jackets and my change tin for car parking.
For a road trip it may also have the camping stove and some gas in it.

I use the secret compartment in the boot for currys and mucky boots

Wife uses her M3 frunk for the kids smelly sports equipment. We also use the frunk in our MS a lot when we take the dogs with us to run errands (a big WOOF WOOF for Dog Mode!). Particularly useful for groceries or other items we don't want the dogs to getting into in the back.

Wife uses her M3 frunk for the kids smelly sports equipment. We also use the frunk in our MS a lot when we take the dogs with us to run errands (a big WOOF WOOF for Dog Mode!). Particularly useful for groceries or other items we don't want the dogs to getting into in the back.

Reactions: EVFamilyGrins