Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Full self driving capability purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New to TMC and appreciate any clarification.

I purchased my M3 used and on the sticker it shows Full Self Driving Capability was purchased for $3000 and added to the total invoice. When it comes out will it automatically update? Also my app shows its available for purchase for $5000. I bought the vehicle second hand so a bit confused. TIA

New to TMC and appreciate any clarification.

I purchased my M3 used and on the sticker it shows Full Self Driving Capability was purchased for $3000 and added to the total invoice. When it comes out will it automatically update? Also my app shows its available for purchase for $5000. I bought the vehicle second hand so a bit confused. TIA

Used from where, exactly? That matters. If you bought it DIRECTLY from a private party, then the full self driving you see on the sticker transferred with the car. If you bought it from a third party dealer OR tesla, then its likely that (regardless of what the sticker says) that it could have been removed by tesla, if the car ever went back to tesla.

Meaning, if the car was sold to tesla, they then put it up for auction, and then some third party dealer bought it, THEN you bought it from them, the "full self driving" on the sticker may not apply.

If your app says that its 5k for the FSD upgrade then its not attached to your car, regardless of what your sticker says.

If you see "full self driving" on the sticker for 3k, you should also see "ENHANCED autopilot" as a line item with a cost of 5k. even with that, tesla could have removed it as per above...

Do you have the car in your account yet? If you go to the details page, it will show the options you have purchased - Enhanced Autopilot and/or Full Self Driving.

As @jjrandorin pointed out, if you bought if from Tesla, they can remove features prior to selling the vehicle. If you did buy it from a private party, FSD will transfer, however, it needs to be on the original bill of sale (or proof the original owner added FSD), the monroney sticker wouldn't dictate.

There was an incident a few months back that Tesla removed FSD from a second hand car after it did an "audit." Tesla did ultimately restore FSD, stating it was a "miscommunication."

Tesla owner says remotely disabled Autopilot features have been restored

2020-03-29.png

Thanks it does show on the sticker it was included. I also purchased it from a private party. I don't have the bill of sale, just the sticker.
IMG-2478.jpg

Thanks it does show on the sticker it was included. I also purchased it from a private party. I don't have the bill of sale, just the sticker. View attachment 527366

If you are indeed the second owner (purchasing from the original owner who purchased it directly from tesla) then it looks like you should have it. Not sure why your app is showing an upgrade price, unless it was:

1)removed from this car in error or
2) the person you bought it from did not buy it directly from tesla

You should be able to log into your tesla account and see very easily what features are attached to the car, and if FSD is not on there, you should try to figure out why.

If you are indeed the second owner (purchasing from the original owner who purchased it directly from tesla) then it looks like you should have it. Not sure why your app is showing an upgrade price, unless it was:

1)removed from this car in error or
2) the person you bought it from did not buy it directly from tesla

You should be able to log into your tesla account and see very easily what features are attached to the car, and if FSD is not on there, you should try to figure out why.

I logged on to the account page and unfortunately does not show how @TT97 is displayed. It doesn't show the details of the car. Infact, the color of the car is blue with 19' rims while mine is red with 18'. The Vin numbers match up correctly though. Anyone else have this kind of display?

I logged on to the account page and unfortunately does not show how @TT97 is displayed. It doesn't show the details of the car. Infact, the color of the car is blue with 19' rims while mine is red with 18'. The Vin numbers match up correctly though. Anyone else have this kind of display?

So, you have a mystery on your hands. I am wondering if you bought a car that was vin swapped or something. You need to contact tesla and see what it says for your vin in their system.

I hope I am wrong, but I am not expecting a happy ending to this story.

Contact Tesla to correct this. I bought FSD with the car two years ago and it showed on my account page for long time but about two months ago, it disappeared and my app showed option to upgrade to FSD for $5K. I immediately contacted Tesla (using the text thread from my past service conversation thread). They replied asking me to send them proof (my paperwork) for th FAD purchase. I send them picture of the contract and the window sticker as proof. They accepted that and corrected everything back to normal. It was shocking that they removed it just like that and put the onus on me to provide proof. After they corrected their system I made my FSD computer retrofit appointment immediately and got my FSD HW-3 upgrade last week.

There is some issue with the details. The car "Exterior" description needs to match the car you have (and the picture of the car on the left will also match the color and wheel types). Is the car display on the center screen correct (and confirm the VIN on the screen)? That would also show the correct color of the car and should have the 18" wheels (although a recent software update now lets you change the wheels to other OEM wheels).

I don't think it was a VIN swap but check the VIN on the screen with the two stamped locations (and that it matches your details page):

2020-03-29 (2).png

I think Tesla has the wrong car loaded on your account.

Unrelated, seeing the window sticker reminded me how much the "early adopters" paid for our 3s!

Be interesting to hear Tesla support's story of the day. This popped up on another forum and the new owner was informed by Tesla support that FSD was assigned to the individual owner and couldn't be transferred with the car. The added burn was once they called into support to inquire about FSD Tesla support proceeded to remove their free supercharging as well since the car had changed owners.

If you're buying a used Tesla its pretty much essential to get the original owner to give you the Tesla account they used, otherwise Tesla will start removing featues.

I remember reading a post on this forum where the order got modified after the VIN had been assigned to the ordering person and the VIN got mixed up when he received the car. The VIN on the car and the VIN on the order didn't match up.

I checked all the VINs and they all match up correctly. I'm trying to contact Tesla (which seems to be a pain to actually get the chance to speak to anyone). Thank you for the welcome and insight towards these issues. I think we should be aware if tesla is indeed removing FSD during a transfer it could be risky buying any tesla second hand if the original owner purchased the FSD (as in markup purposes).

Be interesting to hear Tesla support's story of the day. This popped up on another forum and the new owner was informed by Tesla support that FSD was assigned to the individual owner and couldn't be transferred with the car.

That's absolutely untrue... (though lots of things random tesla employees tell people are untrue...)

That said- the Monroney isn't a bill of sale, and is often wrong (especially on Teslas from what I've seen- mine for example does NOT have FSD... though my actual sales contract does) so he should really try and get a copy of the MVPA from the original owner- THAT is what will tell him what the car should actually have on it.